• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

What type is Sherlock Holmes, as portrayed in the stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?

• ESFJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESTJ

• ISFJ

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • ISTJ

• ESFP

• ESTP

• ISFP

• ISTP

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • ENFP

• INFP

• ENTP

• INTP

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • ENFJ

• ENTJ

• INFJ

• INTJ

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I can't decide or even make an educated guess.

• Total voters

Skip Foreplay

MBTI Type
ENxP
A couple of thoughts that crossed my mind when reading Sherlock Holmes: (I've read about 20 stories.)

My opinion (it's a pretty strong opinion) is ISTJ.

All this SP/Se talk is nonsense. I also agree with the introvert notion. He may be energized by 'being out,' but so many introverts are; it is not a good indicator of extroversion. He goes out, but not to be with people. Not EVER to be with people. He goes out because he must, to confirm or disconfirm his present theories.

The T couldn't be more obvious. Enough said, there.

The J is tricky. He does look a lot like a P, hangin' out until someone comes in with a problem. My main reason, stronger than any other by far, is a holistic one. I am convinced of the I and T, and the S almost as much, and he behaves a hell of a lot more like an ISTJ than an ISTP, in my opinion. Furthermore, as I've said, the Se idea makes little sense to me, whereas the Si makes a lot of sense. Think of how marvelous he is at connecting information back to similar circumstances. All of this has come from his fixation on physical detail - and his fine categorizations of those details. Even S's connect information together to form speculations, but the information they connect is or was physical, and that sure sounds like Holmes to me, and is decent justification alone for my 'S' opinion.

Good day, my dear bloggers.

Skip Foreplay

MBTI Type
ENxP
A couple of thoughts that crossed my mind when reading Sherlock Holmes: (I've read about 20 stories.)

My opinion (it's a pretty strong opinion) is ISTJ.

All this SP/Se talk is nonsense. I also agree with the introvert notion. He may be energized by 'being out,' but so many introverts are; it is not a good indicator of extroversion. He goes out, but not to be with people. Not EVER to be with people. He goes out because he must, to confirm or disconfirm his present theories.

The T couldn't be more obvious. Enough said, there.

The J is tricky. He does look a lot like a P, hangin' out until someone comes in with a problem. My main reason, stronger than any other by far, is a holistic one. I am convinced of the I and T, and the S almost as much, and he behaves a hell of a lot more like an ISTJ than an ISTP, in my opinion. Furthermore, as I've said, the Se idea makes little sense to me, whereas the Si makes a lot of sense. Think of how marvelous he is at connecting information back to similar circumstances. All of this has come from his fixation on physical detail - and his fine categorizations of those details. Even S's connect information together to form speculations, but the information they connect is or was physical, and that sure sounds like Holmes to me, and is decent justification alone for my 'S' opinion.

Good day, my dear bloggers.

G

Ginkgo

What is an MBTI introvert? Someone who gets their energy from within. Now Mycroft was an introvert, for the whole point of the Diogenes Club was to have a place where people can avoid talking with the unwashed peons. But is it so clear that Holmes is an MBTI introvert? When left alone, instead of being energized, Sherlock Holmes becomes moody, bored, and fidgety. He indulges in opium for he would do anything to distract his mind from the tedium. Holmes becomes greatly energized when he is out on the hunt. Watson often remarked about the great change that took over Holmes when he was out and about sniffing for clues like a bloodhound. He would become oblivious to everything around him. Now if he was such an introvert, he would have found just as much pleasure staying inside, and analying a case from a purely theoretical perspective, but he greatly preferred getting his hands dirty. He was an extrovert since his energy came not from within, but from outside himself. This also helps to answer the following question: Was he a sensor or an intuitive?

By this reasoning, I could easily be an extravert. I don't buy it.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I appreciate the bigger point that people misuse MBTI. Still don't know why people get so caught up in the typing of fictional characters though.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i appreciated the recent movie, which seemed to portray him in quite the ESTP light, with flashes of Ni calculations along the way.

Ghostwheel

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Five
You just had to use the word Mastermind, didn't you?

Like I said, screw you NTs. :D

Don't feel bad. I see you're an ISTP?

So was Miyamoto Mushashi and he could certainly beat Holmes in a swordfight.

See how that works? :D

R

Riva

Could Sherlock be an INTJ written by an INTP?

Surely the character in the novels was an ITP but his methods of solving were Ni hunches but he explains his hunches through Ti methods adding to the confusion.

Or atleast the author does.

Hmm..

He was probably an ITP with well developed Ni. Infact his personal life is painfully ITP (< INTP).

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I appreciate the bigger point that people misuse MBTI. Still don't know why people get so caught up in the typing of fictional characters though.

Characters are people too! How could you suggest otherwise! :azdaja: :cry:

KDude

I guess one of the arguments in favor of INTJ is that he only cares to specialize in what's pertinent to his profession. ITPs both probably assimilate more (extraneous) information. At the same time, it's kind of unrealistic. No one could be that oblivious, could they? I think Conan Doyle is mostly just being humorous about it.

S

Society

i am finding myself in agreement with [MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION]

sherlock holmes is an INTP's fantasy of an INTJ that thinks like an INTJ and functions like an INTJ but whose fluent in Ti to explain how he reached his conclusions.

he is an INTJ personality with Ti in his coat pocket in the same sense that spiderman is an INTP with Se. actually come to think of it, a lot of characters are these sort of odd combo's, take an MBTI personality and add one function that shouldn't be there.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good point. And I guess if they didn't have odd combos, they wouldn't be superheros.

R

Riva

i am finding myself in agreement with [MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION]

sherlock holmes is an INTP's fantasy of an INTJ that thinks like an INTJ and functions like an INTJ but whose fluent in Ti to explain how he reached his conclusions.

he is an INTJ personality with Ti in his coat pocket in the same sense that spiderman is an INTP with Se. actually come to think of it, a lot of characters are these sort of odd combo's, take an MBTI personality and add one function that shouldn't be there.

I'm sticking to the novel when typing him.

From how I see it he is clearly an ITP (INTP > ISTP) with extremely well developed Ni. Then again Ni is about trust so an ITP who trusts his Ni.

Ti conclusions should be technically deductive which is what Sherlock uses when solving cases but when he makes correct guesses in day to day observations (which is why the readers are mesmerized by him) he does not use deductive reasoning. He I believe has 'aha' moments/hunches but uses Ti (or should we say deduce?) to deduce his hunches.

INTPs I wouldn't be surprised have well developed Ni. Because Ti doms (with the help of Ne) loves to spend time in their heads. The more time they spend the more questions they would ask themselves or scenarios they'd create. Add an extreme amount of facts (Se) to the scenario and you'd get an INTP who gets quite a lot of hunches (Ni).

But there is a clash between Ti and Ni. I do not wish to go there now especially if not inquired.

I myself believe Spiderman is an INTP.

Why would you say with well developed Se?

S

Society

I'm sticking to the novel when typing him.

From how I see it he is clearly an ITP (INTP > ISTP) with extremely well developed Ni. Then again Ni is about trust so an ITP who trusts his Ni.

Ti conclusions should be technically deductive which is what Sherlock uses when solving cases but when he makes correct guesses in day to day observations (which is why the readers are mesmerized by him) he does not use deductive reasoning. He I believe has 'aha' moments/hunches but uses Ti (or should we say deduce?) to deduce his hunches.

i don't think it's Ti conclusions - while he deducts in his explanations, each is some small detail he observed (Se) which leads to it's step by a swapping generalization, imposing a notion upon the subtle evidence. the process of explaining it is similar to Ti because he then synthesizes those conclusions together like Ti, but that's derived from the fact NTPs are a lot more likely to share how they synthesize the data, but the synthesis itself persists in both Ti and Te functions. the similarity isn't in the function but derived from the act of expla

as i said, an INTJ who is fluent in Ti .

I myself believe Spiderman is an INTP.

Why would you say with well developed Se?

INTP most of the time and even in the thought bubble, but the moment he puts on the mask he becomes an idealized incarnation of graceful movement alongside strong physical presence and being one with his environment. we've talked about the affect of Se on physical presence on vent.

Good point. And I guess if they didn't have odd combos, they wouldn't be superheros.

now that you mention it..

james bond = ISTP with Si.
iron man = ESTP with Ne.

it might not apply everywhere... but in general i think you might be on to something.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
now that you mention it..

james bond = ISTP with Si.
iron man = ESTP with Ne.

it might not apply everywhere... but in general i think you might be on to something.

I thought you had mentioned it first. :p

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
INTP most of the time and even in the thought bubble, but the moment he puts on the mask he becomes an idealized incarnation of graceful movement alongside strong physical presence and being one with his environment. we've talked about the affect of Se on physical presence on vent.

This something i'm not entirely sold on. People who are inferior in Se, for example, can be fine with graceful movement and physical prowess. What they struggle with is the mentality attributed to Se.

That 'reaction ready' alertness to whatever catches the attention and the confident willingness to engage with this new information, is something most Se inferior's are unwilling to do.

For example a quote from a book I recently read on the theory and concerning INJ's although i'll admit, not INTP's:

Although Extraverted Sensation is the INJs inferior function, it should not be supposed that INJs are entirely in their heads or never leave their computer terminals. They're bona fide Perceivers, and their senses may be very keen. INJs follow sports, enjoy outdoor activities, take up Tai Chi, drive fast cars, cook gourmet meals, make art - all sorts of things that involve a sensory engagment with life.

Their Extraverted Sensate skills are undeveloped in the sense that INJs have a hard time seeing themselves objectively. Physicality for these types, is quite nearly another conceptual viewpoint, a way of looking at life.

Now that is only for those with inferior Se. Those who have it as a shadow I cannot speak for using this information, but perhaps it could be stretched to those who do? Oh well it's just a thought, like many others.

S

Society

Now that is only for those with inferior Se. Those who have it as a shadow I cannot speak for using this information, but perhaps it could be stretched to those who do? Oh well it's just a thought, like many others.

hmm, its a good question, though from what i've gathered now, i think the inferior functions is usually engaged in a very particular way, plays a very certain role in the person's psyche, it's not just a "lesser tertiery function" no more then the tertiery function is a "lesser supporting function". just the same, the shadow functions wouldn't be just "lesser inferior functions".

i will say that your putting this conversation on the right track - for the 5 function theory in relations to "super people" to make sense, it has to consider shadow function relationships....

but i honestly don't know by which shadow function theory to go by.
for example, if you take yourself (going with INFJ):
one theory states your shadow mode is ENFP (same order, opposite orientation).
one theory states your shadow mode is ESTP (same orientation, opposite order).
one theory stated your shadow mode is ISTJ (opposite order, opposite orientation).

some variations of theory 1 & 3 will state that you go into "full shadow mode" in certain times, while others say that you tap certain shadow functions combined into your regular state, and other theories will relate to you as an 8 function person, where the only distinction is the order.

this goes deeper into how you define a function. for example, if i define the difference between Si and Se as "the shape of your S", or - in some takes - "that S would be the shape of your Pe" - then it's a bit like saying whether your bellybutton is an inny or an outy.. having an inny doesn't mean you have an outy hidden somewhere on your body (except perhaps how your belly button might look like from the other side of your skin).

and as for the original argument - mind you - spiderman has Se alertness as one of his superpowers...