User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type is Sherlock Holmes, as portrayed in the stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • ESFJ

0 0%
  • ESTJ

0 0%
  • ISFJ

1 3.85%
  • ISTJ

1 3.85%
  • ESFP

0 0%
  • ESTP

0 0%
  • ISFP

0 0%
  • ISTP

4 15.38%
  • ENFP

0 0%
  • INFP

0 0%
  • ENTP

1 3.85%
  • INTP

13 50.00%
  • ENFJ

0 0%
  • ENTJ

0 0%
  • INFJ

0 0%
  • INTJ

5 19.23%
  • I can't decide or even make an educated guess.

1 3.85%
First 6789 Last

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Good point. And I guess if they didn't have odd combos, they wouldn't be superheros.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    i am finding myself in agreement with @Riva

sherlock holmes is an INTP's fantasy of an INTJ that thinks like an INTJ and functions like an INTJ but whose fluent in Ti to explain how he reached his conclusions.

he is an INTJ personality with Ti in his coat pocket in the same sense that spiderman is an INTP with Se. actually come to think of it, a lot of characters are these sort of odd combo's, take an MBTI personality and add one function that shouldn't be there.
    I'm sticking to the novel when typing him.

From how I see it he is clearly an ITP (INTP > ISTP) with extremely well developed Ni. Then again Ni is about trust so an ITP who trusts his Ni.

Ti conclusions should be technically deductive which is what Sherlock uses when solving cases but when he makes correct guesses in day to day observations (which is why the readers are mesmerized by him) he does not use deductive reasoning. He I believe has 'aha' moments/hunches but uses Ti (or should we say deduce?) to deduce his hunches.

INTPs I wouldn't be surprised have well developed Ni. Because Ti doms (with the help of Ne) loves to spend time in their heads. The more time they spend the more questions they would ask themselves or scenarios they'd create. Add an extreme amount of facts (Se) to the scenario and you'd get an INTP who gets quite a lot of hunches (Ni).

But there is a clash between Ti and Ni. I do not wish to go there now especially if not inquired.

he is an INTJ personality with Ti in his coat pocket in the same sense that spiderman is an INTP with Se. actually come to think of it, a lot of characters are these sort of odd combo's, take an MBTI personality and add one function that shouldn't be there.
    I myself believe Spiderman is an INTP.

Why would you say with well developed Se?

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    I'm sticking to the novel when typing him.

From how I see it he is clearly an ITP (INTP > ISTP) with extremely well developed Ni. Then again Ni is about trust so an ITP who trusts his Ni.

Ti conclusions should be technically deductive which is what Sherlock uses when solving cases but when he makes correct guesses in day to day observations (which is why the readers are mesmerized by him) he does not use deductive reasoning. He I believe has 'aha' moments/hunches but uses Ti (or should we say deduce?) to deduce his hunches.
    i don't think it's Ti conclusions - while he deducts in his explanations, each is some small detail he observed (Se) which leads to it's step by a swapping generalization, imposing a notion upon the subtle evidence. the process of explaining it is similar to Ti because he then synthesizes those conclusions together like Ti, but that's derived from the fact NTPs are a lot more likely to share how they synthesize the data, but the synthesis itself persists in both Ti and Te functions. the similarity isn't in the function but derived from the act of expla

as i said, an INTJ who is fluent in Ti .

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    I myself believe Spiderman is an INTP.

Why would you say with well developed Se?
    INTP most of the time and even in the thought bubble, but the moment he puts on the mask he becomes an idealized incarnation of graceful movement alongside strong physical presence and being one with his environment. we've talked about the affect of Se on physical presence on vent.

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Good point. And I guess if they didn't have odd combos, they wouldn't be superheros.
    now that you mention it..

james bond = ISTP with Si.
    iron man = ESTP with Ne.

it might not apply everywhere... but in general i think you might be on to something.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

now that you mention it..

james bond = ISTP with Si.
    iron man = ESTP with Ne.

it might not apply everywhere... but in general i think you might be on to something.
    I thought you had mentioned it first. :P
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTJ

INTJ

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Who voted ISFJ?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

INTP most of the time and even in the thought bubble, but the moment he puts on the mask he becomes an idealized incarnation of graceful movement alongside strong physical presence and being one with his environment. we've talked about the affect of Se on physical presence on vent.
    This something i'm not entirely sold on. People who are inferior in Se, for example, can be fine with graceful movement and physical prowess. What they struggle with is the mentality attributed to Se.

That 'reaction ready' alertness to whatever catches the attention and the confident willingness to engage with this new information, is something most Se inferior's are unwilling to do.

For example a quote from a book I recently read on the theory and concerning INJ's although i'll admit, not INTP's:

Although Extraverted Sensation is the INJs inferior function, it should not be supposed that INJs are entirely in their heads or never leave their computer terminals. They're bona fide Perceivers, and their senses may be very keen. INJs follow sports, enjoy outdoor activities, take up Tai Chi, drive fast cars, cook gourmet meals, make art - all sorts of things that involve a sensory engagment with life.

Their Extraverted Sensate skills are undeveloped in the sense that INJs have a hard time seeing themselves objectively. Physicality for these types, is quite nearly another conceptual viewpoint, a way of looking at life.
    Now that is only for those with inferior Se. Those who have it as a shadow I cannot speak for using this information, but perhaps it could be stretched to those who do? Oh well it's just a thought, like many others.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Now that is only for those with inferior Se. Those who have it as a shadow I cannot speak for using this information, but perhaps it could be stretched to those who do? Oh well it's just a thought, like many others.
    hmm, its a good question, though from what i've gathered now, i think the inferior functions is usually engaged in a very particular way, plays a very certain role in the person's psyche, it's not just a "lesser tertiery function" no more then the tertiery function is a "lesser supporting function". just the same, the shadow functions wouldn't be just "lesser inferior functions".

i will say that your putting this conversation on the right track - for the 5 function theory in relations to "super people" to make sense, it has to consider shadow function relationships....

but i honestly don't know by which shadow function theory to go by.
    for example, if you take yourself (going with INFJ):
    one theory states your shadow mode is ENFP (same order, opposite orientation).
    one theory states your shadow mode is ESTP (same orientation, opposite order).
    one theory stated your shadow mode is ISTJ (opposite order, opposite orientation).

some variations of theory 1 & 3 will state that you go into "full shadow mode" in certain times, while others say that you tap certain shadow functions combined into your regular state, and other theories will relate to you as an 8 function person, where the only distinction is the order.

this goes deeper into how you define a function. for example, if i define the difference between Si and Se as "the shape of your S", or - in some takes - "that S would be the shape of your Pe" - then it's a bit like saying whether your bellybutton is an inny or an outy.. having an inny doesn't mean you have an outy hidden somewhere on your body (except perhaps how your belly button might look like from the other side of your skin).

and as for the original argument - mind you - spiderman has Se alertness as one of his superpowers...

Society

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I thought you had mentioned it first. :P
    that's Ni/Ne interaction or you: i honestly didn't think of how what i said implied what you said until you said it :p

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

that's Ni/Ne interaction or you: i honestly didn't think of how what i said implied what you said until you said it :p
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com