User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type is Sherlock Holmes, as portrayed in the stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • ESFJ

0 0%
  • ESTJ

0 0%
  • ISFJ

1 3.85%
  • ISTJ

1 3.85%
  • ESFP

0 0%
  • ESTP

0 0%
  • ISFP

0 0%
  • ISTP

4 15.38%
  • ENFP

0 0%
  • INFP

0 0%
  • ENTP

1 3.85%
  • INTP

13 50.00%
  • ENFJ

0 0%
  • ENTJ

0 0%
  • INFJ

0 0%
  • INTJ

5 19.23%
  • I can't decide or even make an educated guess.

1 3.85%
First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENxP
    Socionics
    ENFp

A couple of thoughts that crossed my mind when reading Sherlock Holmes: (I've read about 20 stories.)

My opinion (it's a pretty strong opinion) is ISTJ.

All this SP/Se talk is nonsense. I also agree with the introvert notion. He may be energized by 'being out,' but so many introverts are; it is not a good indicator of extroversion. He goes out, but not to be with people. Not EVER to be with people. He goes out because he must, to confirm or disconfirm his present theories.

The T couldn't be more obvious. Enough said, there.

The J is tricky. He does look a lot like a P, hangin' out until someone comes in with a problem. My main reason, stronger than any other by far, is a holistic one. I am convinced of the I and T, and the S almost as much, and he behaves a hell of a lot more like an ISTJ than an ISTP, in my opinion. Furthermore, as I've said, the Se idea makes little sense to me, whereas the Si makes a lot of sense. Think of how marvelous he is at connecting information back to similar circumstances. All of this has come from his fixation on physical detail - and his fine categorizations of those details. Even S's connect information together to form speculations, but the information they connect is or was physical, and that sure sounds like Holmes to me, and is decent justification alone for my 'S' opinion.

Good day, my dear bloggers.

MBTI
    ENxP
    Socionics
    ENFp

A couple of thoughts that crossed my mind when reading Sherlock Holmes: (I've read about 20 stories.)

My opinion (it's a pretty strong opinion) is ISTJ.

All this SP/Se talk is nonsense. I also agree with the introvert notion. He may be energized by 'being out,' but so many introverts are; it is not a good indicator of extroversion. He goes out, but not to be with people. Not EVER to be with people. He goes out because he must, to confirm or disconfirm his present theories.

The T couldn't be more obvious. Enough said, there.

The J is tricky. He does look a lot like a P, hangin' out until someone comes in with a problem. My main reason, stronger than any other by far, is a holistic one. I am convinced of the I and T, and the S almost as much, and he behaves a hell of a lot more like an ISTJ than an ISTP, in my opinion. Furthermore, as I've said, the Se idea makes little sense to me, whereas the Si makes a lot of sense. Think of how marvelous he is at connecting information back to similar circumstances. All of this has come from his fixation on physical detail - and his fine categorizations of those details. Even S's connect information together to form speculations, but the information they connect is or was physical, and that sure sounds like Holmes to me, and is decent justification alone for my 'S' opinion.

Good day, my dear bloggers.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by purplesunset View Post
    What is an MBTI introvert? Someone who gets their energy from within. Now Mycroft was an introvert, for the whole point of the Diogenes Club was to have a place where people can avoid talking with the unwashed peons. But is it so clear that Holmes is an MBTI introvert? When left alone, instead of being energized, Sherlock Holmes becomes moody, bored, and fidgety. He indulges in opium for he would do anything to distract his mind from the tedium. Holmes becomes greatly energized when he is out on the hunt. Watson often remarked about the great change that took over Holmes when he was out and about sniffing for clues like a bloodhound. He would become oblivious to everything around him. Now if he was such an introvert, he would have found just as much pleasure staying inside, and analying a case from a purely theoretical perspective, but he greatly preferred getting his hands dirty. He was an extrovert since his energy came not from within, but from outside himself. This also helps to answer the following question: Was he a sensor or an intuitive?
    By this reasoning, I could easily be an extravert. I don't buy it.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

I appreciate the bigger point that people misuse MBTI. Still don't know why people get so caught up in the typing of fictional characters though.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i appreciated the recent movie, which seemed to portray him in quite the ESTP light, with flashes of Ni calculations along the way.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Five

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    You just had to use the word Mastermind, didn't you?

Like I said, screw you NTs.
    Don't feel bad. I see you're an ISTP?

So was Miyamoto Mushashi and he could certainly beat Holmes in a swordfight.

See how that works?

Riva

Could Sherlock be an INTJ written by an INTP?

Surely the character in the novels was an ITP but his methods of solving were Ni hunches but he explains his hunches through Ti methods adding to the confusion.

Or atleast the author does.

Hmm..

He was probably an ITP with well developed Ni. Infact his personal life is painfully ITP (< INTP).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    I appreciate the bigger point that people misuse MBTI. Still don't know why people get so caught up in the typing of fictional characters though.
    Characters are people too! How could you suggest otherwise!
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

I guess one of the arguments in favor of INTJ is that he only cares to specialize in what's pertinent to his profession. ITPs both probably assimilate more (extraneous) information. At the same time, it's kind of unrealistic. No one could be that oblivious, could they? I think Conan Doyle is mostly just being humorous about it.

Society

i am finding myself in agreement with @Riva

sherlock holmes is an INTP's fantasy of an INTJ that thinks like an INTJ and functions like an INTJ but whose fluent in Ti to explain how he reached his conclusions.

he is an INTJ personality with Ti in his coat pocket in the same sense that spiderman is an INTP with Se. actually come to think of it, a lot of characters are these sort of odd combo's, take an MBTI personality and add one function that shouldn't be there.