User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type is Sherlock Holmes, as portrayed in the stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • ESFJ

0 0%
  • ESTJ

0 0%
  • ISFJ

1 3.85%
  • ISTJ

1 3.85%
  • ESFP

0 0%
  • ESTP

0 0%
  • ISFP

0 0%
  • ISTP

4 15.38%
  • ENFP

0 0%
  • INFP

0 0%
  • ENTP

1 3.85%
  • INTP

13 50.00%
  • ENFJ

0 0%
  • ENTJ

0 0%
  • INFJ

0 0%
  • INTJ

5 19.23%
  • I can't decide or even make an educated guess.

1 3.85%
First 45678 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The Nicholas Rowe version is a Mastermind Rational (AKA INTJ), and I'm not even touching the Robert Downey Jr. version.

You just had to use the word Mastermind, didn't you?

Like I said, screw you NTs.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Or a Strategic Contender, that works, too.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

my best guess is
    ENTP and either 7w8 Sp/Sx integrated to 5 or 5w4 So/Sx
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENTP

wtf is a mastermind rational?

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    wtf is a mastermind rational?
    An INTJ.
    It's a Keirsey thing. http://www.keirsey.com/4temps/mastermind.asp

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I haven't read the original novels for some time, but recently I saw the "Sherlock" series on Netflix instant (a spectacular series), which from what I remember and have read is a very accurate adaptation, down to borrowing lines, scenes and character traits from the original novels. Though I know it may be not 100% the original Sherlock, he seems similar enough and based on that series I have to go with the ISTP people on this one.
    Is that the modern-day one with Benedict Cumberbatch? Love it!

I'm not sure of his type. One of the things I found interesting about setting it in the modern day is that you have modern assumptions about...well, what's up with the guy. In the original Victorian setting he got away with just being an aggravating, conceited and sometimes unexpectedly compassionate eccentric. But with modern 21st century psychology and assumptions coming into play, there are other characters who keep saying that he's a sociopath and this sort of thing (he even says it about himself.) And the viewer is drawn to look at things in this way as well; the guy is a genius, but, well, what's wrong with him? Aspergers? Troubled childhood? High-functioning sociopath?

I thought the way they updated it was so clever and subtle and I love Benedict Cumberbatch. I guess his portrayal could be ISTP but I'm really not sure. He reminds me of Jeremy Brett, but probably a little less flamboyant, and a little more childish... (Plus, in a weird way he's very attractive. Amazing eyes.)
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Is that the modern-day one with Benedict Cumberbatch? Love it!

I'm not sure of his type. One of the things I found interesting about setting it in the modern day is that you have modern assumptions about...well, what's up with the guy. In the original Victorian setting he got away with just being an aggravating, conceited and sometimes unexpectedly compassionate eccentric. But with modern 21st century psychology and assumptions coming into play, there are other characters who keep saying that he's a sociopath and this sort of thing (he even says it about himself.) And the viewer is drawn to look at things in this way as well; the guy is a genius, but, well, what's wrong with him? Aspergers? Troubled childhood? High-functioning sociopath?

I thought the way they updated it was so clever and subtle and I love Benedict Cumberbatch. I guess his portrayal could be ISTP but I'm really not sure. He reminds me of Jeremy Brett, but probably a little less flamboyant, and a little more childish... (Plus, in a weird way he's very attractive. Amazing eyes.)
    Indeed, it is the Benedict Cumberbatch update. I really enjoy it. I felt worried they wouldn't be able to deliver on Moriarty after so much build up, but I thought their portrayal of him was awesome and totally worked.

On the other hand, trying to analyze Sherlock (or, I suppose various people real and fictional) through time and in the lens of the time he was originally portrayed in may be a somewhat silly exercise in some ways (I've seen the Asperger's Holmes analysis laid out fairly eloquently and convincingly) but on the other hand, well, a lot of folks on this site seem to call that a fun night in.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Indeed, it is the Benedict Cumberbatch update. I really enjoy it. I felt worried they wouldn't be able to deliver on Moriarty after so much build up, but I thought their portrayal of him was awesome and totally worked.

On the other hand, trying to analyze Sherlock (or, I suppose various people real and fictional) through time and in the lens of the time he was originally portrayed in may be a somewhat silly exercise in some ways (I've seen the Asperger's Holmes analysis laid out fairly eloquently and convincingly) but on the other hand, well, a lot of folks on this site seem to call that a fun night in.
    It's both silly, and a fun night in.

And yeah, Moriarty was great. Unconventional for the man (younger than usual, and openly psychopathic) but mesmerizing. And I liked the fact that he was definitely Irish, instead of what he usually is, an English guy with an Irish name.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Actually, I really doubt that Holmes has Aspergers (yes people, I'm treating him as a real person, it's just for fun!). Even by modern standards. A couple of reasons: for one, although he certainly comes across as a "calculating machine" a lot of the time, there is more of an averagely warm human heart there than you'd think, if you read closely. He cares a lot about Watson and he shows particular care for clients in very vulnerable positions, like some of the women. (It's funny, I've seen some describe Jeremy Brett's portrayal as pure calculating machine, and some as too emotional...he was a great balance of both, I think.)

Sorry if I'm stereotyping Aspergers, by the way, it's hardly my area of expertise, but I don't think someone on that spectrum would come across that way so much.

Also, he seems to have too keen an understanding of how to manipulate people socially. He can read emotions based on facial expressions, small gestures etc to an uncanny degree - even if he doesn't sympathize with them much. He can also turn on the charm to a frightening extent. There are a couple of scenes in the new series with Benedict C where he does this in a way which is both very funny and rather chilling.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING