User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type is Sherlock Holmes, as portrayed in the stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • ESFJ

0 0%
  • ESTJ

0 0%
  • ISFJ

1 3.85%
  • ISTJ

1 3.85%
  • ESFP

0 0%
  • ESTP

0 0%
  • ISFP

0 0%
  • ISTP

4 15.38%
  • ENFP

0 0%
  • INFP

0 0%
  • ENTP

1 3.85%
  • INTP

13 50.00%
  • ENFJ

0 0%
  • ENTJ

0 0%
  • INFJ

0 0%
  • INTJ

5 19.23%
  • I can't decide or even make an educated guess.

1 3.85%
First 34567 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I can only figure that he's 100% certainly a T. It's tricky with fictional characters, even if you only look at the original stories, because Doyle wrote them over decades and wasn't really that interested in consistency (though the character is definitely consistent enough to be extremely compelling.) And then things are complicated further by all the actors who have portrayed him and even some other authors who have done a good job with him - ie. Laurie King.

He is my favourite fictional character, has been since I was 12 at least, and that's unlikely to ever change.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    INTPs and ENTPs whine about running into walls and shit, while Holmes can pick a wall down to the most mundane aspects and tell you it's life story.

OK, I'm probably being a jerk, but I want some consistency there. You can't have your cake and be a meticulous detective too. Screw you NTPs! And NTs in general.

BTW, I don't really mean that. I like you.
    Yeah this is actually an argument for him being ISTJ. I believe that many, many popular fictional detectives are.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

But since he's not a real person, remember he could loosely be a combination of ISTJ and INTJ with occasional SP traits like dressing up in fanciful costumes and breaking into people's houses.

Or we could argue that it's an INTJ occasionally using his inferior Se, that makes sense too.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah this is actually an argument for him being ISTJ. I believe that many, many popular fictional detectives are.
    I agree about many fictional detectives possibly being ISTJ, but I would have thought he was too eccentric for that to be a really strong possibility. Plus I don't really see where he'd be responsible like the average ISTJ. He does have a tendency to make use of people, though over the passage of time it does become evident that Watson is the one person he's truly fond of (it's not even sure how fond he is of his brother.)

EDIT: yeah, the "combination" theory kind of makes sense, as it probably does with many fictional characters.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

INTPs and ENTPs whine about running into walls and shit,
    You forgot ENFPs. These people better never use the drug Warfarin, hell, they'll be black and blue from running into walls.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

One thing we know for sure though is that Sherlock is not ENFP...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I agree about many fictional detectives possibly being ISTJ, but I would have thought he was too eccentric for that to be a really strong possibility. Plus I don't really see where he'd be responsible like the average ISTJ. He does have a tendency to make use of people, though over the passage of time it does become evident that Watson is the one person he's truly fond of (it's not even sure how fond he is of his brother.)
    Yes the eccentricity is what makes me lean toward INTJ, honestly. Same with Edgar Allan Poe's Auguste Dupin.

I think Dupin was INTJ, Holmes may be some weird INTJ/ISTJ hybrid, and Poirot is ISTJ. The second two were somewhat influenced by the first, who is considered the original amazing detective in popular English writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yes the eccentricity is what makes me lean toward INTJ, honestly. Same with Edgar Allan Poe's Auguste Dupin.

I think Dupin was INTJ, Holmes may be some weird INTJ/ISTJ hybrid, and Poirot is ISTJ. The second two were somewhat influenced by the first, who is considered the original amazing detective in popular English writing.
    Poirot is definitely a clearer ISTJ, I agree. Especially with his views on law and it's relation to society as a whole. Holmes probably stands for the same things, but he's too much of an eccentric or introvert to address it in terms of duty like that.. Not sure how to put it. He's more focused on the crimes themselves.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Poirot is definitely a clearer ISTJ, I agree. Especially with his views on law and it's relation to society as a whole. Holmes probably stands for the same things, but he's too much of an eccentric or introvert to address it in terms of duty like that.. Not sure how to put it. He's more focused on the crimes themselves.
    Yes... he says things like "this is really most gratifying" when he's been complaining about how dull life is, and then someone runs in with a crazy case for him to solve. He is on the side of justice and does find satisfaction in bringing criminals to justice, but it's more about the intellectual thrill of solving the crime for him than anything else. Intellectual kicks first, justice and helping other people out second - in most cases.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I haven't read the original novels for some time, but recently I saw the "Sherlock" series on Netflix instant (a spectacular series), which from what I remember and have read is a very accurate adaptation, down to borrowing lines, scenes and character traits from the original novels. Though I know it may be not 100% the original Sherlock, he seems similar enough and based on that series I have to go with the ISTP people on this one.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?