User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type is Sherlock Holmes, as portrayed in the stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • ESFJ

    0 0%
  • ESTJ

    0 0%
  • ISFJ

    1 3.85%
  • ISTJ

    1 3.85%
  • ESFP

    0 0%
  • ESTP

    0 0%
  • ISFP

    0 0%
  • ISTP

    4 15.38%
  • ENFP

    0 0%
  • INFP

    0 0%
  • ENTP

    1 3.85%
  • INTP

    13 50.00%
  • ENFJ

    0 0%
  • ENTJ

    0 0%
  • INFJ

    0 0%
  • INTJ

    5 19.23%
  • I can't decide or even make an educated guess.

    1 3.85%
First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 81

  1. #11
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purplesunset View Post
    Now, about F or T, I am not so sure. Sherlock Holmes liked to think and analyze therefore he must be a thinker, right? Of course not. What is an MBTI feeler? Feelers prefer ethics to make the decisions, while thinkers prefer logic. The funny thing is both methods can be subjective. A thinker could easily be too selective with his facts and make a logical but partial conclusion. Holmes was guided by principles and ethics, and this was what kept him from becoming Europe's greatest villain. If he was a thinker, he would have tried being the villain out of pure intellectual curiosity, but his ethics always held him back. This one is inconclusive to me, so I'm not sure if he was a thinker or a feeler.
    Oh dear. Surely you must realize what a bad argument this is? You could have saved yourself some words and just said that Ts are not ethical, therefore Sherlock Holmes (might not) be a T.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  2. #12
    Senior Member Two Point Two's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purplesunset View Post
    I personally have no trouble with letting Se be his main function since that is what provides the fuel for his analysis. Is it possible that someone can use their auxilliary function as often as the dominant? It seems to me that Holmes uses Se and Ti/Fi about equally.
    I think it's less about how often a function is used, and more about the way it's used, or the priority placed on it, maybe.

    Holmes may use a lot of Se, but is Se what motivates his use of Se? Or is Se used in order to, as you say, fuel another function - for example, Ti's analysis?

    I'm not saying he is ISTP rather than ESTP; I've read very little Holmes. But my vague impression leans toward analysis feeding off detailed observation, rather than experiencing the moment and analysing some of it afterwards. Anyway, it's something to think about.

    I also agree with Orangey - T does not in any way mean that you would try villainy out of curiosity. Ts are perfectly capable of functioning ethically and in accordance with principles; their ethics may be more reasoned-out than felt, although even that's not completely true because Ts do have tertiary or inferior F that contributes.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Valuable_Money's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purplesunset View Post
    (Still thinks that E and I are functions as are P and J)
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valuable_Money View Post
    [IMG]^[/IMG]
    Actually, you have misinterpreted one of my posts because I called extraverted sensing (aka Se) a function, not extraversion. I am well aware of the difference between the two terms.
    The purple sun won't heal my purple bruises :ouch:

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Two Point Two View Post
    I also agree with Orangey - T does not in any way mean that you would try villainy out of curiosity. Ts are perfectly capable of functioning ethically and in accordance with principles; their ethics may be more reasoned-out than felt, although even that's not completely true because Ts do have tertiary or inferior F that contributes.
    You're right. T's can certainly have principles.

    The reason why I worded my original post the way I did is because I wanted to undermine this silly notion that: "Sherlock loved to think, therefore he must be a T."

    People simply type him as T without careful consideration because of a misunderstanding of what T/F means in MBTI terms.

    I wanted to undermine that notion and create ambiguity, so I deliberately focused on showing how Sherlock was capable of using ethics, and not just pure logic, in his decision-making.

    I'm being defensive because I'm just tired of people lazily typing anyone who thinks as a thinker

    For example, I believe that I can argue that Isaac Newton could be an F (an INFP to be precise). But, of course, since he was a mathematician, he must be a T.
    The purple sun won't heal my purple bruises :ouch:

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I reread A Study In Scarlet, The Sign of the Four, and Adventures of Sherlock Holmes very recently (the others I read at a later date, on multiple occasions) so the details are fresh(er) in my mind. I flipped through them the other night and I have a crap load of quotes that I believe can illustrate the detective- not all shown here, but I also accept that 'I' picked these quotes. I did not mean to ignore other potential evidence that could lead to alternative conclusions, but if I include everything, then you would be reading the stories themselves.

    I have remained vague (sometimes) on my position, but I think I am going to come out and say that I believe Holmes is ISTP. I am frustrated by this and constantly try to argue for other alternatives (aka- I do not believe myself and him to be similar), but I have not come to another conclusion on my own. I seek peers for alternative ideas now.

    I believe that some evidence has been presented for S and P characteristics, but I include below quotes that I think are suitable examples of I and T characteristics. ALSO- I am okay with being critiqued, but I am extremely out of my element in this. There is no quantitative data for me to measure, which frustrates me immensily and my roommate has encouraged me to voice my opinion so I will stop focusing on this and move on.

    I- "This looks like one of those unwelcome social summonses which call upon a man either to be bored or to lie." Holmes referring to the original correspondence from a client in The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor
    "Sherlock Holmes was transformed when he was hot upon such a scent as this...Lestrad and I walked behind him, the detective indifferent and contemptuous..." Watson describing the 'change' in Holmes and his lack of interest in his companions during The Boscombe Valley Mystery
    E- "Holmes could talk exceedingly well when he chose, and that night he did choose." Watson describing a meal conversation with Athelney Jones in The Sign of the Four

    So, I think there are instances where Holmes shows extraversion, but this is where I turn to you introverts and ask: don't you fake extraversion? To also support the idea that Holmes utilizes Se... ISTP's auxillary function is Se. Also to try and explain the argument that Holmes is depressed during his 'introverted phases'. Why doesn't the man walk out into the city just outside of his walls and engage in his needs? Finding people interesting isn't exactly a sure fire sign that an individual is extraverted, at least I don't think so.

    T- "You hae attempted to tinge it with romanticism, which produces much the same effect as if you worked a love-story or an elopement into the fifth proposition of Euclid." Holmes referring to Watson's rendition of their initial adventure in The Sign of the Four
    "You really are an automaton- a calculating machine." Watson talking about Holmes after he fails to observe Mary's beauty in The Sign of the Four

    Maybe these are less of reasons why Holmes is a T and more of why I can't see him as an F. I comprehend being an F as basing decisions off of values (not saying Ts have none... cause I am one and I have values) and subjective reasoning. If this was the case, wouldn't the man be more open to developing a relationship, accepting Watson's flowery interpretations of their work, etc. Ts then rely on data, data, data to make bricks from clay... you may role your eyes now.

    Here is my feeble opinion. I have more quotes... oh yes, and if my reasonings weren't clear or you have another opinion... please explain.

  7. #17
    Probably Most Brilliant Craft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    I was just reading "A Study in Scarlet" and "The Sign of Four". I believe the only type that makes sense for this detective is INTJ.

    Ni - Sherlock Holmes is too theoretical and his words and cited words from several authors he read about were too abstract. He notices details because of the motive to solve the problems. He does this to ultimately prove his Ni.

    The theories and patterns he created for "being a great detective" involves too much intuiting. He also gains further details from theories.

    Te is right there.

    "How small we feel with our petty ambitions and strivings in the presence of the great elemental forces!" - John Paul spoken by Holmes.

    "Stern facts here--no room for theories." -Athelney Jones speaking to Holmes.

    Not very convincing quotes but its tiring to search for evidence. I will add later.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Posts
    472

    Default

    "J's like rules, while percievers like freedom. Right? Wrong"

    no

  9. #19
    Probably Most Brilliant Craft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    E- "Holmes could talk exceedingly well when he chose, and that night he did choose." Watson describing a meal conversation with Athelney Jones in The Sign of the Four
    That was only *when* he chose to talk. In most circumstances, he would prefer to think by himself until he is ready to unveil his masterful deduction. That is why introverts tend to be great detectives: their usual focus and well-thought out deductions.

  10. #20
    Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4
    Posts
    1,456

    Default Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

    The only search results for this are for the movie or in other forums, so I guess all the old ones must have been deleted. I know people have typed him before. Anyway, after a lot of thought it is now my opinion that, despite popular belief, Holmes was probably an INTP, so I thought I would attempt to express that in written form, and then probably discuss the possibilities further as, as you probably know by now, he is my favourite character (which also means I'm potentially liable to bias on the subject). The following is written as fact, but that's just for simplicity's sake and nothing is definite.

    Ti
    Holmes is logical, and that much can't be denied. He places great importance on logic and has little respect for personal juedgement. He constantly drives for accuracy and going deeper and deeper until the case is solved, keeping track of all the little details of a case and noticing when there is a logical inconsistency, prompting an alternative theory. This can be expressed most obviously when he listens to a statement of the case, and also once he has observed clues. He doesn't take things as they are but makes deductions about the most probable cause of the situation as he can see it. His brain is organised and calculated, but his external life not as much. He seems mostly disinterested in external organisation and progress. His house is messy, he has no plans beyond discovering the truth and his methods and knowledge have been descibed as profound, but unsystematic. His entire proffesion is a search for truth, accuracy and information, and he values this and the process he takes to reach it. He will not take on a case unless it interests him or challenges his mental ability. He chooses to be a free agent rather than an official police officer as he only wishes to solve puzzles and has no interest in the menial duties of a police officer. While his Ne is used to theorise, the Ti controls and limits it so that he does not get ahead of himself, as can be seen in one of the quotes in my signature.

    Ne
    His sole purpose in life is to solve puzzles, and an important part of this is generating ideas. He loves things that twist his brain. Holmes is ruled by his Ti, searching for accuracy and narrowing down the posssibilities that his Ne produces. On a case he creates theories, which he devises or expands upon based on the evidence made available. As a metaphor for the Ti, Ne, Ti is a flock of pigeons and Ne is someone throwing out seeds (ideas). One of the seeds is a rock, which is the correct solution. The Ti birds pick at all the seeds until the only solution remaining is the correct one. Sometimes Holmes will make rather grand logical leaps, surprising the ordinary people, who are astounded that he ever could have thought of such a thing until he explains it. Ne also helps in the noticing details. People often claim Holmes is a sensor due to high Se (he probably does have well developed Se as well, but that doesn't mean he is not intuitive (he has very well developed functions all round)), but often Holmes preempts what he will find based on Ne and Si (which I will explain soon). Using what information he already has, he anticipates possibilities and searches for them. Here is a quote from "The Dancing Men".

    "By George!" cried the inspector. "How ever did you see that?"

    "Because I looked for it."
    Si
    Sherlock Holmes, as well as intuitively thinking of new possibilities, also relies a lot on previous knowledge and experience. In his area of interest, he has amassed an enormous collection of knowledge on everything to do with detection, and he frequently refers to this. Whether it is using knowledge gained on a previous case or identifying the make of a certain tyremark or perfume, he uses his database of experience frequently in his work. It aids him in his deduction. He sees something on someone, recognises that he has seen the same before and takes that previous experience and the solution it probeded into account in generating the solution at hand.

    Fe
    Holmes does not use Fe terribly often, though it is well-developed. He generally has a fairly amiable demeanour, despite sometimes putting people off with his dominant Ti behaviour, and his conformity to rigid logic. When he normally decides to make use of his Fe is when he is disguised or otherwise appeasing someone in order to solve a case. He is noted as a great host and managed to trick a woman into falling in love with him once. Fe is used more as a tool than anything else.



    So there is my reasoning. If you find any major flaws, please tell me. Perhaps I have been off with my function understanding, but there is a fair chance I just expressed myself poorly or put something in the wrong section.

    Now, discuss please. I think I'll make a poll.
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 03-25-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: clarity and merge
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Similar Threads

  1. Type the Sherlock Holmes characters: specify which versions
    By SilkRoad in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-07-2017, 01:44 PM
  2. Sherlock Holmes (movie with Robert Downey Jr.)
    By incubustribute in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 07:20 AM
  3. [INTP] Sherlock Holmes - Possible INTP
    By Mr. Sherlock Holmes in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 02:06 PM
  4. Fighting stuff and Sherlock Holmes
    By Antimony in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-09-2010, 10:17 AM
  5. sherlock holmes
    By Risen in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-26-2009, 03:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO