User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    xNTP

Default The Wise Old Master's Type

Please type the stereotypical Wise Old Master. The characters I am thinking of (Yoda, Mr. Miyagi, Splinter, Wilson from Home Improvement) are basically mass media portrayals of Jung's Senex.

My hunch is all of them are either INTP or INFP (Yoda) but I would like to hear your opinions.

INFJ, INTJ, INFP, and INTP (all INxx types), depending on the specific "subtype" of wise old master, if you will.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INFJ

I've read that INFJs tend to be the "mystical" wise old man, much like Merlin, according to Personality Type.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Please type the stereotypical Wise Old Master. The characters I am thinking of (Yoda, Mr. Miyagi, Splinter, Wilson from Home Improvement) are basically mass media portrayals of Jung's Senex.
    They are more cliches, than anything -- because we don't really know anyone who acts so one-sidedly in our culture.

What they seem to be is the living embodiment of Ni, without any other functions there to flavor and direct the inner perception.

The MBTI types are more complex than that, in real life. We have two main functions (one perceiving, one judging), plus all the others impacting our choices.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    They are more cliches, than anything -- because we don't really know anyone who acts so one-sidedly in our culture.

What they seem to be is the living embodiment of Ni, without any other functions there to flavor and direct the inner perception.
    Yes. In Yoda's place, for example, I'd have turned mad from loneliness, from having nobody to talk to, nobody to share my thoughts with, nobody to exchange feelings with, and so on. By the time Luke arrived, I'd have been talking to trees or something - and they'd have been answering back, too

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

INFJ seems to fit most of the "wise old men" I've seen, which isn't that many.

MBTI
    INXP

Agreed.. there is an element of one sidedness that makes it difficult to type stereotypes...

It perhaps depends how ready they are to dispense the wisdom, and whether they are friendly or more distant.

Is not Gandalf meant to be more NT than NF for example... (perhaps even INTJ)?

-Geoff

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

A wise type? Well you could go for ENTP. Least that way you get a wise ass
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Why, thanks.

You're really helping make us INxJ's look good, you know?

I do seem to make my better decisions when I manage to distance Ni from other perceptions and judgments, come to think of it...

That said, I would think INTJ more than INFJ... it's the Fi, and accompanying unconcern with other's feelings towards themselves as much as what they actually need (presuming they develop the Fi to a certain point).

MBTI
    xNTP

My hunch was most of the characters mentioned in the OP would have been Rationals but the consensus seems to be that they are Idealists.

Either way thanks for your input.