• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Wise Old Master's Type

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Please type the stereotypical Wise Old Master. The characters I am thinking of (Yoda, Mr. Miyagi, Splinter, Wilson from Home Improvement) are basically mass media portrayals of Jung's Senex.

My hunch is all of them are either INTP or INFP (Yoda) but I would like to hear your opinions.

MerkW

INFJ, INTJ, INFP, and INTP (all INxx types), depending on the specific "subtype" of wise old master, if you will.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've read that INFJs tend to be the "mystical" wise old man, much like Merlin, according to Personality Type.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Please type the stereotypical Wise Old Master. The characters I am thinking of (Yoda, Mr. Miyagi, Splinter, Wilson from Home Improvement) are basically mass media portrayals of Jung's Senex.

They are more cliches, than anything -- because we don't really know anyone who acts so one-sidedly in our culture.

What they seem to be is the living embodiment of Ni, without any other functions there to flavor and direct the inner perception.

The MBTI types are more complex than that, in real life. We have two main functions (one perceiving, one judging), plus all the others impacting our choices.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
They are more cliches, than anything -- because we don't really know anyone who acts so one-sidedly in our culture.

What they seem to be is the living embodiment of Ni, without any other functions there to flavor and direct the inner perception.
Yes. In Yoda's place, for example, I'd have turned mad from loneliness, from having nobody to talk to, nobody to share my thoughts with, nobody to exchange feelings with, and so on. By the time Luke arrived, I'd have been talking to trees or something - and they'd have been answering back, too :laugh:

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
INFJ seems to fit most of the "wise old men" I've seen, which isn't that many.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Agreed.. there is an element of one sidedness that makes it difficult to type stereotypes...

It perhaps depends how ready they are to dispense the wisdom, and whether they are friendly or more distant.

Is not Gandalf meant to be more NT than NF for example... (perhaps even INTJ)?

-Geoff

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
A wise type? Well you could go for ENTP. Least that way you get a wise ass :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Why, thanks.

You're really helping make us INxJ's look good, you know? ;)

I do seem to make my better decisions when I manage to distance Ni from other perceptions and judgments, come to think of it...

That said, I would think INTJ more than INFJ... it's the Fi, and accompanying unconcern with other's feelings towards themselves as much as what they actually need (presuming they develop the Fi to a certain point).

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
My hunch was most of the characters mentioned in the OP would have been Rationals but the consensus seems to be that they are Idealists.

Either way thanks for your input.

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes. In Yoda's place, for example, I'd have turned mad from loneliness, from having nobody to talk to, nobody to share my thoughts with, nobody to exchange feelings with, and so on. By the time Luke arrived, I'd have been talking to trees or something - and they'd have been answering back, too :laugh:

What's wrong with trees answering back? :)

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I think these people will have done some serious introspection. To the extent that type is hardly relevant.

But INTP or INFJ sounds most likely, to me.

If you're talking the Buddha/Jesus sort, then INFJ. The more stereotypical detached mystic has to be closest to an INTP. I is needed; N is needed,; T is needed for the rationalising - with a healthy dose of Fi to get the want to do it in the first place (and to hold the compassion); P/J is difficult, but I'm definitely going with P. I'd say the speed of thought is through the trained introspection of P, not J-work.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Is Ben Kenobi a Wise Old Master (I would doubt it), or just Yoda? Kenobi's classic INTP, but Yoda isn't.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Melchizedek Initiation & Teachings with ReGenesis

So fellas, what type would Melchizedek, the Ultimate Wise Old Master be, based on that video?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Melchizedek Initiation & Teachings with ReGenesis

So fellas, what type would Melchizedek, the Ultimate Wise Old Master be, based on that video?

hmm I was just looking up this topic online.... I was looking for the author Melchizedek, and now I'm wondering if he changed his name to that or if he's really from that line or something.. he's really out there as a person.... As far as this vid- could go by the questions asked...

do you have an inner fire to be of service to others and find religious constraints unbearable?
Do you have a dedication to reaching the highest human potential of the Christ Consciousness?
Have you consciously chosen to be initiated into the various levels of the Christ?
Are you able to see structures, be it physical, spiritual, or emotional and find ways to navigate psychically?

Maybe we're talking about an infj or intj stereotype there depending on how you want to spin the function analysis.
Melchizedek the author? Could answer all the questions "yes" likely but his type is a completely different story!

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pretty much whatever type Yoda is will do.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I think the wise old man archetype is associated with INTJ or INFJ. However, once INFP and INTP start to embrace their Ni side more, they start to look more sagacious and become the wise old man. The wise old man archetype is probably associated with INXX. INXX are more prudent than ENXX counterpart.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It depends on how the insight is directed. If its towards people and emotions, INFJ and INFP. INFJ has more breadth of insight, INFP more capable of depth. You go for guidance to an INFJ - INFP is the one who would surprise you and blow your mind with some deeply penetrating insight out of nowhere. INTJ and INTP tend towards more technical insight, altho their logic can of course be directed towards people. Jordan Peterson for instance, INTJ.

So yeh, archetypes-wise, INFJ for the kindly sage, or INFP.