User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    FREE

Are you saying that to continue to converse with you is, for most people, painful and humiliating? Props on the A+ social skills; and this is coming from a person who is mentally retarded, so... enjoy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Are you saying that to continue to converse with you is, for most people, painful and humiliating? Props on the A+ social skills.
    You're way out of your depth pal. Stick to crying about your hurt feelings. Although, now that you've stupidly confessed to being a troll, after have been permabanned from the sister site, you probably won't be licking your wounds for too long...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    You don't? It's because they are rich. There will never be a movie about Tim Berners-Lee.
    So? And the creators of those other social networks aren't rich? The story does not strike me as anything special. Rich, nerdy guy from a prestigious college makes successful internet business; oh yeah, and he's bitter towards women. YAWN. Facebook is not very unique, but has often been touted as such. The existence of this movie just adds to that false image. Its significance is being overvalued.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    So? And the creators of those other social networks aren't rich? The story does not strike me as anything special. Rich, nerdy guy from a prestigious college makes successful internet business; oh yeah, and he's bitter towards women. YAWN. Facebook is not very unique, but has often been touted as such. The existence of this movie just adds to that false image. Its significance is being overvalued.
    You're preaching to the choir, my dear.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Do you think if the lead characters were a bunch of racists or into pedophilia the reaction would be same?
    Again noting that I haven't seen this film yet.

I don't think the quality of the main character makes a movie bad or good necessarily. Fritz Lang's M features a child murderer (and implied pedophile) in the central role and is still considered a classic. The German film Downfall has incredibly good reviews. The main character? Adolph Hitler. Not exactly everyone's favorite dude, and I think an undeniable racist, and in fact one of the most intense racists to ever live. There have been films about serial killers in the past which have actually been pretty well received (I'm thinking of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer about Henry Lee Lucas). Maybe there is a tonal difference here, or some kind of implied support of Zuckerburg and his sexism, but that's another judgement I can't make without seeing it.

Of course, comedies frequently feature awful main characters, but that is slightly different.

I'd also generally agree with the complaints against the film's premise and not see it, if it were not for the face that virtually every last source I've heard says its great (even the ones who have claimed it is sexist seem to generally begrudgingly admit it is an excellent and engaging movie). After all, most romantic comedies and horror films have a slight variation on the same tired premise, but some are still excellent and original
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Again noting that I haven't seen this film yet.

I don't think the quality of the main character makes a movie bad or good necessarily. Fritz Lang's M features a child murderer (and implied pedophile) in the central role and is still considered a classic. The German film Downfall has incredibly good reviews. The main character? Adolph Hitler. Not exactly everyone's favorite dude, and I think an undeniable racist, and in fact one of the most intense racists to ever live. There have been films about serial killers in the past which have actually been pretty well received (I'm thinking of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer about Henry Lee Lucas). Maybe there is a tonal difference here, or some kind of implied support of Zuckerburg and his sexism, but that's another judgement I can't make without seeing it.

Of course, comedies frequently feature awful main characters, but that is slightly different.
    Everyone appears to be completely missing the point. At no point have I suggested that this movie should not have been made. It really shouldn't be too difficult to understand the objections, but I'm bored now with trying to help people see stuff that they'd clearly prefer to be blinkered to.

MBTI
    INFP

The thing about the movie is, it really doesn't try to paint the main characters in a good light. Mark is a giant douchebag who understands the mechanics of socializing, but not how to actually do it. The Winklevii are just verbose meatheads. Sean Parker is a silver tongued sleezebag who profits off of other people. The only halfway decent main character was the other guy's who's name eludes me. He wanted to be involved in a fun project with a friend, but got shoved out when it became serious business. Misogyny was just another thing to dislike the main characters for. (really, only Mark said anything outright misogynistic, the rest was just implied because, like it or not, these guys did not associate with the best examples of girls. There were women on the lawyer teams, and the girlfriend that broke up with Mark for being an asshole. It made sense in context)

For that matter, in the party scenes, there were just as many examples of stereotypical guy pigs as there were party girl sluts.

The movie would not have benefited in any way by shoehorning in Smurfette. It happened to be about a few guys, and there happened to be a bunch of partying showing both genders in a poor light. I don't approve of misogyny, but I think it would have been more insulting to place a token.

Banned

I saw this smbc comic today and thought of this delicious thread:

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

In terms of Enneagram, I take back what I previously thought of Zuckerberg. I think he is a 5w4 rather than a 3w4.
    In the movie, he was way too socially awkward to be a 3 of any sort.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

And that is why I liked his character.