User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm not convinced that depicting misogynistic characters automatically makes a movie bad, any more than depicting racism in a movie is bad. Perhaps that's why there wasn't an uproar?

I don't think anyone is saying those kinds of attitudes are ok or even glorified in the movie. I don't think anyone is arguing the characters aren't misogynist. In fact, I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with - enjoying the movie?
    No one noticed the misogyny, till I mentioned it - that's my point. Either it wasn't noticed (most likely) or was noticed but not considered worth commenting on.

I have no problem with a movie depicting and condemning any kind of prejudice. Let's have more! I have a problem with the insidious glamourization of misogyny that still goes on. That leads to the kind of ignorance MacGuffin/InvisibleJ demonstrate: " hey, all the women gotta be dumbasses 'cos that's what the script says and, ya know, it's based on real life and shit".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It's not exactly subtle. That was why I was wondering about the accuracy, since he's such a jackass in the film. It's probably not pointed out because it's just obvious.

I interpreted it as the characters surrounding themselves with vapid girls because they didn't want "real" women and/or "real" women didn't want to be around them because they're douchebags (which seems especially likely). So in that microenvironment, it does seem likely that dumbass groupies would be the only women around them (assuming the film's accuracy, which is of course debated).
    -end of thread-

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    That leads to the kind of ignorance MacGuffin/InvisibleJ demonstrate: " hey, all the women gotta be dumbasses 'cos that's what the script says and, ya know, it's based on real life and shit".
    I didn't claim 'all womans gotta be dumbasses', you are stuck upon your narrow paradigms and high horse again. Let us know when you want to get off.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

We shouldn't do films depicting the Holocaust either. We don't want to make it seem like the Nazi's were bad people, or anything.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    It's not exactly subtle. That was why I was wondering about the accuracy, since he's such a jackass in the film. It's probably not pointed out because it's just obvious.
    I think that's naive of you. I think it flew right over the heads of most of these folks. That's why I asked what the response would have been if the sexism were a less tolerated ism.
    I guarantee, there would have been outrage.
    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Let us know when you want to get off.
    You won't be helping me get off anytime soon, so you might as well stop trying.

Banned

You won't be helping me get off anytime soon, so you might as well stop trying.
    I don't particularly care about you getting off. What you want to do in your own private space is entirely up to you.

But I won't be misrepresented, when you clearly know exactly what was said and why in an attempt to justify whatever today's Morgan Le Fay argumentative trip is.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I don't particularly care about you getting off. What you want to do in your own private space is entirely up to you.

But I won't be misrepresented, when you clearly know exactly what was said and why in an attempt to justify whatever today's Morgan Le Fay argumentative trip is.
    Listen, buddy. If you feel free to characterise me as a Marxist feminist, without knowing what the fuck you're talking about, I'll interpret your comments as I see fit.

For example, it seems to me that you've got a HUGE chip on your soldier when it comes to intelligent women, as your recent comments in a number of threads clearly demonstrate. I'm sorry if they reject you for your astonishing maturity, but there's not a lot I can do about it. Tell someone who cares.

Banned

Listen, buddy. If you feel free to characterise me as a Marxist feminist, without knowing what the fuck you're talking about, I'll interpret your comments as I see fit.

For example, it seems to me that you've got a HUGE chip on your soldier when it comes to intelligent women, as your recent comments in a number of threads clearly demonstrate. I'm sorry if they reject you for your astonishing maturity, but there's not a lot I can do about it. Tell someone who cares.
    Amusement. I love intelligent women. I love intelligent men. I don't characterise those who pick, chose and misquote others to suit their own moral quibbles as intelligent. Nice try in going to great efforts to misquote me as an attempt to find a red herring you could point at me and now you won't back down.

I'm both surprised and alarmed at the number of ad honimem attacks you launch in an attempt to poison the well and to annihilate discussion that is not in favour of your mindset and beliefs.

What can you say. I'm always amused when someone's dummy falls out because you turn their own assumptions upon themselves. Just so you know, your hypocritical tendancy to pull the argument 'I can brand you with the labels I chose BUT DON'T DARE SAY YOU CAN TALK ABOUT ME THAT WAY!' is showing in public again. How about we progress past puberty and attempt to address what is technically correct or morally relevant instead of wasting time taking pot shots at others character because they don't agree with our ideals?

Please provide some realistic reason why the facebook movie should be altered to include something which is more false (not based upon your own individual moral narrative) or everything you have presented in this thread would appear to be nothing more than a weak and logically false appeal to motive. Even better, provide us proof that the dramatisation should not be viewed as apparently you are claiming that somehow viewing misogyny turns one into a misogynist? How bizarre.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I love intelligent women.
    Sure you do. They just don't love you back.
    Nvm, you've still got Satine.

Banned

Sure you do. They just don't love you back.
    Nvm, you've still got Satine.
    Wibble wibble? Someone sore and can't deal with being wrong?