User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 81

  1. #51
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm not convinced that depicting misogynistic characters automatically makes a movie bad, any more than depicting racism in a movie is bad. Perhaps that's why there wasn't an uproar?

    I don't think anyone is saying those kinds of attitudes are ok or even glorified in the movie. I don't think anyone is arguing the characters aren't misogynist. In fact, I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with - enjoying the movie?
    No one noticed the misogyny, till I mentioned it - that's my point. Either it wasn't noticed (most likely) or was noticed but not considered worth commenting on.

    I have no problem with a movie depicting and condemning any kind of prejudice. Let's have more! I have a problem with the insidious glamourization of misogyny that still goes on. That leads to the kind of ignorance MacGuffin/InvisibleJ demonstrate: " hey, all the women gotta be dumbasses 'cos that's what the script says and, ya know, it's based on real life and shit".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  2. #52
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    It's not exactly subtle. That was why I was wondering about the accuracy, since he's such a jackass in the film. It's probably not pointed out because it's just obvious.

    I interpreted it as the characters surrounding themselves with vapid girls because they didn't want "real" women and/or "real" women didn't want to be around them because they're douchebags (which seems especially likely). So in that microenvironment, it does seem likely that dumbass groupies would be the only women around them (assuming the film's accuracy, which is of course debated).
    -end of thread-

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    That leads to the kind of ignorance MacGuffin/InvisibleJ demonstrate: " hey, all the women gotta be dumbasses 'cos that's what the script says and, ya know, it's based on real life and shit".
    I didn't claim 'all womans gotta be dumbasses', you are stuck upon your narrow paradigms and high horse again. Let us know when you want to get off.


  4. #54
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    We shouldn't do films depicting the Holocaust either. We don't want to make it seem like the Nazi's were bad people, or anything.



  5. #55
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    It's not exactly subtle. That was why I was wondering about the accuracy, since he's such a jackass in the film. It's probably not pointed out because it's just obvious.
    I think that's naive of you. I think it flew right over the heads of most of these folks. That's why I asked what the response would have been if the sexism were a less tolerated ism.
    I guarantee, there would have been outrage.
    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Let us know when you want to get off.
    You won't be helping me get off anytime soon, so you might as well stop trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    You won't be helping me get off anytime soon, so you might as well stop trying.
    I don't particularly care about you getting off. What you want to do in your own private space is entirely up to you.

    But I won't be misrepresented, when you clearly know exactly what was said and why in an attempt to justify whatever today's Morgan Le Fay argumentative trip is.

  7. #57
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    I don't particularly care about you getting off. What you want to do in your own private space is entirely up to you.

    But I won't be misrepresented, when you clearly know exactly what was said and why in an attempt to justify whatever today's Morgan Le Fay argumentative trip is.
    Listen, buddy. If you feel free to characterise me as a Marxist feminist, without knowing what the fuck you're talking about, I'll interpret your comments as I see fit.

    For example, it seems to me that you've got a HUGE chip on your soldier when it comes to intelligent women, as your recent comments in a number of threads clearly demonstrate. I'm sorry if they reject you for your astonishing maturity, but there's not a lot I can do about it. Tell someone who cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Listen, buddy. If you feel free to characterise me as a Marxist feminist, without knowing what the fuck you're talking about, I'll interpret your comments as I see fit.

    For example, it seems to me that you've got a HUGE chip on your soldier when it comes to intelligent women, as your recent comments in a number of threads clearly demonstrate. I'm sorry if they reject you for your astonishing maturity, but there's not a lot I can do about it. Tell someone who cares.
    Amusement. I love intelligent women. I love intelligent men. I don't characterise those who pick, chose and misquote others to suit their own moral quibbles as intelligent. Nice try in going to great efforts to misquote me as an attempt to find a red herring you could point at me and now you won't back down.

    I'm both surprised and alarmed at the number of ad honimem attacks you launch in an attempt to poison the well and to annihilate discussion that is not in favour of your mindset and beliefs.

    What can you say. I'm always amused when someone's dummy falls out because you turn their own assumptions upon themselves. Just so you know, your hypocritical tendancy to pull the argument 'I can brand you with the labels I chose BUT DON'T DARE SAY YOU CAN TALK ABOUT ME THAT WAY!' is showing in public again. How about we progress past puberty and attempt to address what is technically correct or morally relevant instead of wasting time taking pot shots at others character because they don't agree with our ideals?

    Please provide some realistic reason why the facebook movie should be altered to include something which is more false (not based upon your own individual moral narrative) or everything you have presented in this thread would appear to be nothing more than a weak and logically false appeal to motive. Even better, provide us proof that the dramatisation should not be viewed as apparently you are claiming that somehow viewing misogyny turns one into a misogynist? How bizarre.

  9. #59
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    I love intelligent women.
    Sure you do. They just don't love you back.
    Nvm, you've still got Satine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Sure you do. They just don't love you back.
    Nvm, you've still got Satine.
    Wibble wibble? Someone sore and can't deal with being wrong?

Similar Threads

  1. [JCF] Ti and the social world
    By Risen in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 06:21 AM
  2. Philosophy of the Social Sciences
    By Cenomite in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 06:48 PM
  3. [MBTItm] STJs and the social rules
    By sciski in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 04:29 AM
  4. [MBTItm] Analyzing the social skills of all the introvert types
    By Cypocalypse in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 01:28 PM
  5. Tired of those same old social networks?
    By Ivy in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 12:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO