User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 81

  1. #41
    Senior Member ZPowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    That was interesting, thanks for posting. Still, the movie is glamourising and perpetuating that philosophy, (and making a shitload on the back of it) so Sorkin can't wash his hands so easily.
    One wonders why such a successful writer/producer would want to be involved in a project which makes him "wish he could go door to door to apologize" to the women (and presumably enlightened men) he offends (though one doesn't have to wonder for very long).
    Clearly there were other possible treatments, they were just less commercial.

    It reminds me of the similar debate over The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series ""Misogynist violence is appalling," the author whispers; "now here's some more."
    That's an interesting point, one I fear I can't comment on: I haven't yet seen the film, though I probably will eventually.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

  2. #42
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Parker also knew what he was talking about. That is, I believe, what convinced Zuckerberg even more than the side effects of his past successes.
    No, it went further than that. Like that time Parker convinced him to pull off that stupid stunt of wearing pajamas to the investors meeting. Zuckerberg had absolutely nothing to gain by doing that aside from trying to be "hip" like Parker. Its not like Parker would have walked out on Facebook if Zuckerberg didnt do it, AND Zuckerberg was also very enthusiastic about doing it.

    Maybe he regarded it as a loss in a competition. It is also more Saverin's claim than Zuckerberg's behavior what made me think of jealousy in the first place. Zuckerberg did not seem so terribly upset to me.
    Saverin was always on Zuckerberg side (except of course when he was about to get abandoned) and Zuckerberg gained a lot from Saverin being buddies with the other clubmembers - that's how Facebook got its first boost (when Zuckerberg spammed everyone there). Also, it is clearly implied that Zuckerberg sabotaged Saverin's final initiation test by leaking "animal cruelty" to the college paper. Zuckerberg had absolutely no reason to do that - except of course that Zuckerberg couldn't get over the fact that Saverin was about to be accepted into the club that Zuckerberg couldn't even try out for.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  3. #43
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    I don't see why there is a movie made about them to begin with (and it sounds dull)....Facebook is not very innovative. Before it was Myspace, before that, Friendster...it just happened to gain the most popularity, which the other two sites set it up for (social networking has gained popularity in general).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  4. #44
    Senior Member ZPowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I don't see why there is a movie made about them to begin with (and it sounds dull)....Facebook is not very innovative. Before it was Myspace, before that, Friendster...it just happened to gain the most popularity, which the other two sites set it up for (social networking has gained popularity in general).
    Maybe, but any rote system or organization can have an incredibly intriguing story, distinct and more interesting than any other of its kind. There are billions of married people, and some have a story of their relationship that is amazing and compelling. Some don't. Why is a social networking site any different?
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

  5. #45
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Maybe, but any rote system or organization can have an incredibly intriguing story, distinct and more interesting than any other of its kind. There are billions of married people, and some have a story of their relationship that is amazing and compelling. Some don't. Why is a social networking site any different?
    This is far from "incredibly intriguing". I've read the synopsis. Pretty dull.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  6. #46
    Senior Member You's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,137

    Default

    Character #1:"I am above this movie!"
    Character #2: "You are dumb for believing the story"
    Character #3: "I enjoyed it. The real Zuckerberg is INTJ. I know because blah-blah-blah"
    Me: You guys do realize it's just a movie...

    Stormtrooper: Move along.

    If you haven't seen the movie, you aren't providing anything meaningful to the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    The Social Network (I realize my mistake in the thread title.)
    I just saw this movie yesterday.

    What do you think their types are?

    Mark Zuckerberg: INTJ 3w4 so/sp
    Eduardo Saverin: ESTJ 6w5 sp/so
    Sean Parker: ENTP 7w6 so/sx

    Agree? Disagree?
    Mark wasn't an ISTJ.
    Saverin was extroverted.
    Parker...yeah, he is an ENTP. I doubt he is a sensor, but that'd be the only other option.

  7. #47
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    No, it went further than that. Like that time Parker convinced him to pull off that stupid stunt of wearing pajamas to the investors meeting. Zuckerberg had absolutely nothing to gain by doing that aside from trying to be "hip" like Parker. Its not like Parker would have walked out on Facebook if Zuckerberg didnt do it, AND Zuckerberg was also very enthusiastic about doing it.
    It is not like he jumps off a bridge just to please Parker. He does something he enjoys himself: he has some I-am-superior fun. Walking around in pajamas is not such a big deal for him, by the way. I think that much can be concluded from his always wearing sandals. Of course he is being influenced by Parker (BITCH!), but not to the point where he simply obeys his commands. Parker leads the way because he is good at it; when Parker is being arrested, Zuckerberg takes over again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Saverin was always on Zuckerberg side (except of course when he was about to get abandoned) and Zuckerberg gained a lot from Saverin being buddies with the other clubmembers - that's how Facebook got its first boost (when Zuckerberg spammed everyone there). Also, it is clearly implied that Zuckerberg sabotaged Saverin's final initiation test by leaking "animal cruelty" to the college paper. Zuckerberg had absolutely no reason to do that - except of course that Zuckerberg couldn't get over the fact that Saverin was about to be accepted into the club that Zuckerberg couldn't even try out for.
    Zuckerberg denies any involvement in the 'animal cruelty' article. It is there so you can use it to condemn him, but you do not have to believe in Saverin's suspicion. If it is true that the article may have damaged the project, which no one seems to object to, I doubt that Zuckerberg would do something like that merely to annoy his friend - thereby risking what is most precious to himself.

  8. #48
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I don't get it - evidently there were none. Is that fact ignorant and offensive? I suppose, but I didn't invent it. To wit, from above:

    Is it surprising there wasn't a competent woman around?
    Does light bend around you? This is incredibly dense.

    Do you think it's appropriate to rely on the testimony of a "very angry and deeply misogynistic group of people" as to the competence of the women around at the time?

    Despite Sorkin's attempt to deflect attention from himself by attacking his subjects, such contempt is clearly not conveyed in the movie itself. Not so that the average movie-goer would notice, at any rate.

    Just take a look at the reviews from this site:
    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I saw The Social Network. Perfectly directed. Perfect cast. Great story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Idris View Post
    The Social Network
    Watch it. I liked enjoyed loved this film. Will buy the DVD too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    The Social Network
    How do you make a entertaining movie about facebook where the narrative consists of flashbacks centered around lawsuit depositions? Get Aaron Sorkin to write the script, David Fincher to direct, and throw in a little Timberlake! Far more interesting than I'd have ever thought, and I loved the Sorkin rapid fire dialogue throughout (sometimes you couldn't laugh because the next line was already being said). No one is really the bad guy, they're all just following their nature. You understand why they do what they do, even if they don't. Accidental billionaires indeed. All the leads were great, even Timberlake as the the Napster inventor/douche.
    Highly Recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    It's a very good movie. The script was well-written. Don't want to spoil too much but it's a dramatized history of the founding of Facebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysavior View Post
    I am shocked at how well-rated this movie is. Its on my list, right alongside Inception, of movies to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    God forbid a movie about Facebook be good.
    The worst thing people have to say is that it's a boring and unoriginal plot idea. No one has so much as hinted at the misogynistic tone of the movie. According to you, they're just a bunch of essentially good guys, doing what comes naturally.

    Do you think if the lead characters were a bunch of racists or into pedophilia the reaction would be same?

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled
    I don't see why there is a movie made about them to begin with (and it sounds dull)....Facebook is not very innovative.
    You don't? It's because they are rich. There will never be a movie about Tim Berners-Lee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Do you think if the lead characters were a bunch of racists or into pedophilia the reaction would be same?
    If there was a film which was openly anti-white/male/ginger you'd have people lauding the movie as an unbiased and 'totally fair' masterpiece. You may find that the females they bumped into were only background noise, shit happens. Sometimes you flip a coin 100 times and get heads every time. This is real life, not unlimited monkeys and unlimited coins. Therefore this is faux pas uproar. The movie doesn't have any female role models as apparently there wasn't in real life: (note they didn't come up with an epic conspiracy to edit a female role model out). Therefore there doesn't appear to be some kind of misogynistic conspiracy at play.

    However if you wish to continue burning your bra regardless of the lack of moral casus belli then by all means, continue. Why not go out there and become super rich yourself and have your own filmography made? There are plenty of successful females around, just because there aren't any in a specific case does not make the story not worth telling.

    Other peoples choice to like or dislike films regardless of how much you like or dislike the film does not make their choice invalid if yours is different. Sorry, but you're wrong. People have freedom of choice, as do you.

  10. #50
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    I'm not convinced that depicting misogynistic characters automatically makes a movie bad, any more than depicting racism in a movie is bad. Perhaps that's why there wasn't an uproar?

    I don't think anyone is saying those kinds of attitudes are ok or even glorified in the movie. I don't think anyone is arguing the characters aren't misogynist. In fact, I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with - enjoying the movie?
    -end of thread-

Similar Threads

  1. [JCF] Ti and the social world
    By Risen in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 06:21 AM
  2. Philosophy of the Social Sciences
    By Cenomite in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 06:48 PM
  3. [MBTItm] STJs and the social rules
    By sciski in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 04:29 AM
  4. [MBTItm] Analyzing the social skills of all the introvert types
    By Cypocalypse in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 01:28 PM
  5. Tired of those same old social networks?
    By Ivy in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 12:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO