User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 81

  1. #31
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I disagree. He was on the quest to be part of the cool crowd. That why he was all into that Napster guy's shit - because that guy was cool and Mark wanted to be like him.

    And if it was merely a mean to an end, he wouldn't have gotten so butthurt about his friend getting accepted into the Phoenix club.
    I wouldn't say INTJs never play social games though. Just look at this forum. He didn't know how, so he created his own elite club.

  2. #32
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Kinda, but that was complete fiction, this is semi-biographical. Couldn't really shoehorn a competent woman into the script where none were allowed IRL.
    Because there are no competent women in Zuckerberg's industry? At Stanford? Or IRL?
    Way to be the target demographic...

    Anyway, you're wrong about Zuckerberg's endorsement, according to at least one source:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...portrayal.html
    "The thing that I think is most thematically interesting that they got wrong is... the whole framing of the movie, I'm with this girl who doesn't exist in real life who dumps me," he said during an appearance at Stanford University's 'Startup School' conference.

    "They frame it as if the whole reason for making Facebook and building something was because I wanted to get girls, or wanted to get into some sort of social institution."

    Zuckerberg continued: "The reality for people that know me is that I've been dating the same girl since before I started Facebook so obviously that's not a part of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  3. #33
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Because there are no competent women in Zuckerberg's industry? At Stanford? Or IRL?
    Way to be the target demographic...

    Anyway, you're wrong about Zuckerberg's endorsement, according to at least one source:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...portrayal.html
    Evidently not around the founding of facebook. And it seems he's weasling out of the beginning of the movie, talking about the start of facebook rather than facemash:

    #1) Did Mark Zuckerberg really call his girlfriend a bitch while creating FaceMash.com?

    Yes. Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin used an actual trasncript from Zuckerberg's former LiveJournal Blog (down to the HTML code) for the movie.

    #2) Does Erica Albright, the girlfriend character Rooney Mara played in the film, actually exist?

    Apparently so, but her name was changed in the film. The real name that Zuckerberg mentioned in his blogging was Jessica Elona, but she has never been interviewed or heard from… ever. Which, honestly, is a little strange. It's unknown if she is a real person, or if Zuckerberg and her were actually dating at the time, but Zuckerberg did definitely say it in his blog.
    http://www.thecinemasource.com/blog/...ocial-network/

  4. #34
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I disagree. He was on the quest to be part of the cool crowd. That why he was all into that Napster guy's shit - because that guy was cool and Mark wanted to be like him.
    Parker also knew what he was talking about. That is, I believe, what convinced Zuckerberg even more than the side effects of his past successes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    And if it was merely a mean to an end, he wouldn't have gotten so butthurt about his friend getting accepted into the Phoenix club.
    Maybe he regarded it as a loss in a competition. It is also more Saverin's claim than Zuckerberg's behavior what made me think of jealousy in the first place. Zuckerberg did not seem so terribly upset to me.

  5. #35
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Evidently not around the founding of facebook.
    Are you always so gullible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  6. #36
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Are you always so gullible?
    Who was? The film centered on Zuckerberg, Saverin, and the Winklevoss twins. Is there a woman the movie should also center on?

  7. #37
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Who was? The film centered on Zuckerberg, Saverin, and the Winklevoss twins. Is there a woman the movie should also center on?
    Now you're just being disingenuous.
    :zzz:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  8. #38
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Now you're just being disingenuous.
    :zzz:
    I don't know what point you're trying to make.

  9. #39
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I don't know what point you're trying to make.
    The point is, there are numerous ways to spin a "semi-biographical" story. Some in better taste than others.
    Your assertion that the film features no competent women because none existed IRL is ignorant and offensive beyond belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  10. #40
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    The point is, there are numerous ways to spin a "semi-biographical" story. Some in better taste than others.
    Your assertion that the film features no competent women because none existed IRL is ignorant and offensive beyond belief.
    I don't get it - evidently there were none. Is that fact ignorant and offensive? I suppose, but I didn't invent it. To wit, from above:

    More generally, I was writing about a very angry and deeply misogynistic group of people. These aren't the cuddly nerds we made movies about in the 80's. They're very angry that the cheerleader still wants to go out with the quarterback instead of the men (boys) who are running the universe right now. The women they surround themselves with aren't women who challenge them (and frankly, no woman who could challenge them would be interested in being anywhere near them.)

    And this very disturbing attitude toward women isn't just confined to the guys who can't get dates.
    Is it surprising there wasn't a competent woman around?

Similar Threads

  1. [JCF] Ti and the social world
    By Risen in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 06:21 AM
  2. Philosophy of the Social Sciences
    By Cenomite in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 06:48 PM
  3. [MBTItm] STJs and the social rules
    By sciski in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 04:29 AM
  4. [MBTItm] Analyzing the social skills of all the introvert types
    By Cypocalypse in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 01:28 PM
  5. Tired of those same old social networks?
    By Ivy in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 12:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO