• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Poker and type

StrawMan

MBTI Type
ENTP
Any poker players here?

Some typings I've seen:
Phil Ivey (probably the best player overall atm): ISTP, sometimes INTP
Negreanu: ENxP
Matusow: ESTP
Hellmuth: ExTJ

In my opinion:
Phil Galfond ("OMGClayAiken"): INTP
Tom Dwan ("Durrrrr"): ENTP?

Some thoughts about functions:
Ti: probably the most useful function for poker. In my opinion Ti-users are inclined to improving their own playing style (their system), and also the system of reading other peoples hands, and altering their play accordingly etc.

Ni: probably good for thinking of new concepts, improving one's playing style.

Ne, Se: good for reading betting patterns, playing style and opponents' tells in live games.

Te: Probably quite similar than Ti when it comes to poker. Might be more inclined to specific situations and hands than long-term "perfected" systems thinking.

So what do you think are the best-fit types for poker?
How do different functions, and their strength, manifest in poker skills and playing style?
Types of popular poker players?

There was a poker thread in the archives, but it was mostly about Phil Hellmuth.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I have a bad habit of making all people I think are smart N's lol, I'm sorry S's, I don't mean it like that :p.

From your list:

Negreanu: ENFP. He's a real F if you think about it. He talks about vibes, he's always nice to people and doesn't say something just because it's true.

Matusow: EXTP. I was gonna say ENTP, but I'm not sure he has the logical practicality so many NT's have. I remember ESPN saying that he blew all his winnings on drugs and he didn't even have any. He was just trying to throw a good party. Enneagram type 7 I think.

Ivey: IXTP. lol I don't think he says enough for me to make an informed decision. I haven't seen much Ne from him though so I'm going to say ISTP.

Hellmuth: ENTJ. I think it's quite obvious actually, he has all the signs, even down to the anger issues :D

Galfond: Looks like an NF to me, I'll say INFP.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Matusow: EXTP. I was gonna say ENTP, but I'm not sure he has the logical practicality so many NT's have. I remember ESPN saying that he blew all his winnings on drugs and he didn't even have any. He was just trying to throw a good party. Enneagram type 7 I think.

Sounds like an ENTP.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Negreanu- ENTP
Phil Hellmuth- I'd actually say ENFP.

No idea about the others.