User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Camassia View Post
    I may be going against the tide here, but I think Darth Vader is an ISTP. Anakin Skywalker is a nearly archetypal ISTP -- loves action, genius with machines and gadgets, insubordinate to authority etc. He becomes more self-disciplined as Vader, but I think he's still the same underneath. What makes him a scary villain is that he uses power at whim rather than by rules or even good sense (did he really need to strangle all those senior officers?). And he obviously loves charging into battle, while the Emperor sits back and strategizes.
    No. Anakin Skywalker is obviously an Ne dominant type, i.e. ENxP. After trauma, he resembles his Jungian shadow, which is an Si dominant type, i.e. ISxJ, which is the type of Darth Vader.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    What is your opinion on William Blake? INFJ or INFP?

Nathaniel Hawthorne? INFJ?

Poe INFJ? or INFP?

I say Novalis INFP.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    My opinion. I am only asking because mine was the last post before yours and would rather not be accused of "stealing someone's thunder". If so then:

- Blake might have been and INFJ. This is soley based on the fact that he authored Dante's Inferno. Those that promote religion tend to be NFJ thus he, IMO, was probaly an INFJ.

- Hawthorne's type I do not know. I couldn't even venture a guess.

- Poe was definitely some sort of INxP. He was a major alcoholic. Alcholism seems to be more common among Rationals then the other type, but I can't prove it. So perhaps he was an INTP.

- I'm afraid I don't know who Novalis is.

I am sorry I should have been more clear. I was asking Merkw because he has started the thread, but would appreciate input from anyone who wants to give it.

You think that Poe might have been INTP with strong F shadow, that's very interesting. I had not thought of that, but it might explain the overbearing darkness of his feeling nature in his writing, maybe. It does have the feeling of a merciless inner force, haunting him. I wonder what an INTP would say about this idea.

Blake was the ultimate free thinking person though, his religious ideas did not jive with traditional religious ideas of this time and it is always important to keep proper histoical perspective in these cases, such as with Kierkegaard.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    OK, here's the link:

INFJ or INFP? a closer look

Check near the bottom of the article.

Jae Rae
    Well so much for that. I've read that article and many of theo ther one's on Vicky Jo's website. Nevertheless thanks for posting the link.

MBTI
    xNTP

I am sorry I should have been more clear. I was asking Merkw because he has started the thread, but would appreciate input from anyone who wants to give it.

You think that Poe might have been INTP with strong F shadow, that's very interesting. I had not thought of that, but it might explain the overbearing darkness of his feeling nature in his writing, maybe. It does have the feeling of a merciless inner force, haunting him. I wonder what an INTP would say about this idea.

Blake was the ultimate free thinking person though, his religious ideas did not jive with traditional religious ideas of this time and it is always important to keep proper histoical perspective in these cases, such as with Kierkegaard.

No need to apologize. You were clear enough hence my line 'My opinion? I am only asking because mine was the last post before yours and would rather not be accused of "stealing someone's thunder"'.

Concerning Poe, INTPs as a group seem to be more self destructive than other types. As a strong thinking type with relatively weak people and orginazational skills they probably get slighted more than other types. And, as those they consider less intelligent begin to rise to prominence the INTPs tend to become very depressed and disillusioned.

My hunch is they view the situation from a simple, logical perspective:
    If I am intelligent and clever then I should be successful. I am not successful therfore something must be wrong with me.

There probably isn't any thing wrong with the INTP, but many such as Poe didn't realize this and thus used alcohol as a form of escapism.

heart on fire

There probably isn't any thing wrong with the INTP, but many such as Poe didn't realize this and thus used alcohol as a form of escapism.
    I don't think an INTP who seeks escape into drink does so because they necessarily think something is wrong with them, Ti tends to be very sure of itself, but more from the way this world is. There is often very little rationality or clarity to be found here.

MBTI
    xNTP

I don't think an INTP who seeks escape into drink does so because they necessarily think something is wrong with them, Ti tends to be very sure of itself, but more from the way this world is. There is often very little rationality or clarity to be found here.
    Hmm ...

Sounds reasonable to me. So do you think Poe was not an INTP then? The reason I ask is I see Poe as having been somewhat self doubting. I could be wrong, however.

heart on fire

Hmm ...

Sounds reasonable to me. So do you think Poe was not an INTP then? The reason I ask is I see Poe as having been somewhat self doubting. I could be wrong, however.
    I see Poe as tormented but not necessarily self doubting, but if he could be said to be self doubting then it swings the balance way over to INFP with self critical T shadow.

MBTI
    xNTP

The difference between an INTP and an INFP is more than just a preference for Thinking or Feeling. To me they are completly different personality types.

Disregarding particular preferences (F v. T, N v. S, etc.) what is your overall impression of Poe's personality? Which type do you think he was?

heart on fire

Well, looking at his picture and listening to my gut, I say Poe was INFJ. In my opinion INFP tend to have characteristic eyes that one can never miss. Large, clear, other wordly and dreamy, often a childlike type face and expression. INFJ tend to have a more serious, almost pained expression.

Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard certainly has the eyes and look I am talking about.

Going on Merkw's idea that Hepburn is INFP, I don't know enough about her to say, but she certainly has the type of eyes and look I am talking about.

Audrey Hepburn

Hans Christian Anderson

Neil Diamond

Clara Schumann

Shakespeare

Novalis

Edited: Someone says Rousseau was ISFP.

Tschaikovsky

------------

Aside from that theory above:

INTP and INFP share some similarities because of the nature of introverted judgment.
    Last edited by heart; 01-26-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Well, looking at his picture and listening to my gut, I say Poe was INFJ. In my opinion INFP tend to have characteristic eyes that one can never miss. Large, clear, other wordly and dreamy. INFJ tend to have a more serious, almost pained expression.

INTP and INFP share some similarities because of the nature of introverted judgment.
    Yes, the way in which the psyche is structured is rather similar for both INFPs and INTPs. They both have auxiliary Ne, which results in them outwardly displaying notably eccentric and out-of-the-box mannerisms. This combined with the structured Si-tertiary + Introverted Judgment-dominant inner worlds results in an absent-minded and spacy aura that both emit. Despite this, their views are generally quite different. INFPs are bold idealists, seeking their own individual goals and morals, while INTPs seek the structure behind everything. Also, INFPs are more timid and anti-Te, while INTPs are a noticeably more socially oblivious (inferior Fe).
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp