User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 56

  1. #31
    Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Idioteque View Post
    I seriously doubt an ExTP would be so elaborate in his planning or so obsessed with his set of rules (Bro code).
    EXTP is a famed prankster and conman type. Elaborate schemes are what they do. They get off on thrill. Also, because Barney's exploits often involve people, he has a knack for manipulation and on-spot improvisation, which is rather EP.

    I don't know about the bro-code, but he never really seems to bring it up much unless it serves him.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

  2. #32
    Junior Member AceofSpades's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    17

    Default

    These are fictional people and are not going to perfectly fit into one type of temperament!!!! But what traits do they show most of the time?

    ENFJ is an idealist. True Barney likes to get people involved but's it's usually for his own selfish gain. He's a sensory nut! And I agree. Women are just pure objects for him. Ted and Lily are constantly disappointed with Barney's constant lack of feeling in the things he says. Barney is rarely ever afraid of rejection when hitting on women as to where a J type personality is usually more calculating and careful.
    "A well-spent day brings happy sleep." Leonardo da Vinci

  3. #33
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsherlockholmes View Post
    Women are people, but Barney does not see them as people. He sees them as sex machines. And who would want to lick the liberty bell by themselves. They would have nobody to back up their claim, which is something Barney needs to feed his ego.



    I think the reason ENFJ seems right to you and fits some of his traits is because it contains the same functions as ESTP. But the ESTP profile fits far better, as you can see where I posted it on an earlier page and crossed out the things that didn't fit well with Barney's personality.
    The reason ENFJ seems right to me is because of the pivotal backstory. Your typing has to ignore what he himself expressly claims to be the motive behind his behaviour.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  4. #34
    Junior Member AceofSpades's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    The reason ENFJ seems right to me is because of the pivotal backstory. Your typing has to ignore what he himself expressly claims to be the motive behind his behaviour.
    So your saying the backstory is more important in typing Barney than the person he is portrayed as? In the end it really does not matter much unless criteria for typing fictional persons is agreed upon anyway. Many characters show temperment ambiguity for the sake of keeping a show entertaining.
    "A well-spent day brings happy sleep." Leonardo da Vinci

  5. #35
    Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    The reason ENFJ seems right to me is because of the pivotal backstory. Your typing has to ignore what he himself expressly claims to be the motive behind his behaviour.
    People are able to change type over time. In his backstory (which I remember faintly) he seemed at least some kind of NF, but he had, I guess you could say, an epiphany, and his entire perspective on the world changed. They really weren't the same person afterwards at all, and this is always a dodgy area in typing fictional characters, but here it actually sort of works because all he had to do was rearrange his first 4 functions.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

  6. #36
    Yeah, I can fly. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    Holmes, comparing people to profiles is a bad way to type. MBTI profiles are based on outward behavior expected of a given function set (which may not be accurate), and are usually based on the first two functions alone.

    Barney is usually typed ENTJ, which makes sense given his sheer meticulousness, but the problem with that (as well as ESTP) is his original hippiefag idealism. ExTx's don't behave like that. They just fucking don't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

    Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

    Hayekian Asshole


  7. #37
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Holmes, comparing people to profiles is a bad way to type. MBTI profiles are based on outward behavior expected of a given function set (which may not be accurate), and are usually based on the first two functions alone.

    Barney is usually typed ENTJ, which makes sense given his sheer meticulousness, but the problem with that (as well as ESTP) is his original hippiefag idealism. ExTx's don't behave like that. They just fucking don't.
    1. There's no need for the derogating term.

    2. The best way to type someone is to get their own perspective of their identity rather than having an outsider do it, and that would make Barney describe himself as an ENFJ without using the terminology.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  8. #38
    Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Holmes, comparing people to profiles is a bad way to type. MBTI profiles are based on outward behavior expected of a given function set (which may not be accurate), and are usually based on the first two functions alone.

    Barney is usually typed ENTJ, which makes sense given his sheer meticulousness, but the problem with that (as well as ESTP) is his original hippiefag idealism. ExTx's don't behave like that. They just fucking don't.
    Fair enough (though stereotypes like 'hippiefag idealist' are probably less reliable), but I think the functions actually fit well for ESTP. Like I said, his background really isn't so important as how he acts in the show, because you can see that he's totally different to his old self in almost every concievable way. He was kind and loving, idealistic about the world and everything, and now he is selfish and wants to have sex with women, do fun things and feed his ego. His world is ruled by extraverted sensing, thrill rides and experiences in the here and now. Barney is always moving on to the next thing. There is never enough. His exploits are to get him what he wants, to give him enjoyment and recognition. His Ti can help him plan how to do these things and gives him that hatred of emotion and sentimentality. His Fe is how he relates to people and understands them. Because His thinking and sensing are higher, he does not feel much for people, except on rare occasions, like with Robin, and to a certain degree, his friendship with Ted, but he uses his feeling to manipulate people to his will to get what he wants. His Ni, while not coming out that much, is used to help support his plans and schemes by devising ideas and methods with which to achieve his sensory goals.

    So all in all, I think the functions fit well, and while possibly not the most accurate method, the profile fits brilliantly as well, as opposed to the ENFJ profile. The profiles are actually based on their functional order and how this leads them to interact with the world. The ENFJs feeling is too high and their sensing too low.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

  9. #39
    Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    2. The best way to type someone is to get their own perspective of their identity rather than having an outsider do it, and that would make Barney describe himself as an ENFJ without using the terminology.
    What? Your argument is that if you asked him, Barney would TELL US he is ENFJ? He's a fictional character, so obviously he can't, and the idea that he would is just speculation and no more solid than us guessing his type.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

  10. #40
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsherlockholmes View Post
    What? Your argument is that if you asked him, Barney would TELL US he is ENFJ? He's a fictional character, so obviously he can't, and the idea that he would is just speculation and no more solid than us guessing his type.
    Past tense. He told us his inner life and motives that explain his behaviour.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Similar Threads

  1. How I Met Your Mother/Friends Show
    By Rebe in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 10-02-2013, 05:32 PM
  2. Barney Stinson from HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER: ESTP or ENTJ?
    By HIMYMfan in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 07:38 PM
  3. How I Met Your Mother [TV show]
    By swordpath in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 11:25 PM
  4. How I Met Your Mother
    By Xyk in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 01:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO