User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

his begrudging acceptance of the position of univeristy professor is also pretty INFP, lol.

I just don't see the N.

ISFP?
    wails from the crypt.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    his begrudging acceptance of the position of univeristy professor is also pretty INFP, lol.

I just don't see the N.

ISFP?
    Well, possibly. But where I got his N from is mainly how INFPs are idealistic dreamers and perfectionists. He wants to settle down in a perfect family and find his one true love. He's also rather creative (works as an architect) and sometimes clueless of what's going on around him. His overthinking of situations is something you don't often see in an SP, but often in Ns, and when he teaches he tries to think of ways to get his class to like him and really get interested. On another note, his excessive dating I see as less of an E indicator and more demonstration of his endless search for the perfect woman.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INFJ

With tv fictional characters it can be hard to type. Especially with introverts because most characters on tv are usually written to be more active and outgoing than real life introverts. J preferences can be hard to type as well unless it is written in for the character. However I think we can speculate on the features given to them by the writers.

The easiest ones for me to type would be Marshal and Barney, the rest I'm not as sure of. Starting from the top.

Marshal - ENFP in fact I would type him as ENFP in real life as well.

Barney - ESTP, his fantasmical ideas can often lean him over to an N preference but I would def say he's ESTP the majority of the time. Vary rarly does he show strong Fe tho occaisnal Fi.

Lily - I would say definitly a feeler(Fe?) and at times similar to Marshal with a similar adventerous and sporadic spirit tho more manipulative. She's creative but also caring(teacher) and often confronts Marshal on things he does not see at first. I would go for ISF/NJ.

Ted - Sure does have major NF dreamer tendancies(idealist) and quotes poetry. He's also willing to go along with many of his friends shenanigans(Pushover P trait). INFP could be fair.

Robin is hard. She seems way more T than F. She likes watching sports, shoot guns and does not come off very N. ISTP?
    "A well-spent day brings happy sleep." Leonardo da Vinci

Barney's definatly some kind of ENxJ, just take a look at how extremly elaborate the tricks in his "Playbook" are. Also seems to be suffering from OCD or something, his obsession with suits come to mind..

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Idioteque View Post
    Barney's definatly some kind of ENxJ, just take a look at how extremly elaborate the tricks in his "Playbook" are. Also seems to be suffering from OCD or something, his obsession with suits come to mind..
    Barney aint no J. EXTP. Haven't you been reading our discussions?
    JiNe

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by mrsherlockholmes View Post
    Barney aint no J. EXTP. Haven't you been reading our discussions?
    He is too an ENxJ. He always talks about the playbook/goals/rules, keeps track of data, and organizes his woman conquests into categories.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    He is too an ENxJ. He always talks about the playbook/goals/rules, keeps track of data, and organizes his woman conquests into categories.
    Yeah, but his goals are just things to boast about. He doesn't do them for any practical purpose. Just to have fun and to show how awesome he is to everyone, because he's a showman. He has that EXTP drive to BE THE BEST! His goal of sleeping with 200 women was brought out not as some sensible goal, but to show someone up. They're not like J goals where the intent is to improve, progress, make a contribution etc. His idea of himself in the future is exactly how he is now, just with a higher tally to boast about. His organization is just to help serve him in this and aided by Ti. He's often incredibly spontaneous. Like when he decided to go lick the liberty bell. And when he is told he can't do something, he almost compulsively has to prove he can. And T is definite. I don't know how you can even fathom F. He has no respect for any emotions but pride.
    JiNe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by mrsherlockholmes View Post
    Yeah, but his goals are just things to boast about. He doesn't do them for any practical purpose. Just to have fun and to show how awesome he is to everyone, because he's a showman. He has that EXTP drive to BE THE BEST! His goal of sleeping with 200 women was brought out not as some sensible goal, but to show someone up. They're not like J goals where the intent is to improve, progress, make a contribution etc. His idea of himself in the future is exactly how he is now, just with a higher tally to boast about. His organization is just to help serve him in this and aided by Ti. He's often incredibly spontaneous. Like when he decided to go lick the liberty bell. And when he is told he can't do something, he almost compulsively has to prove he can. And T is definite. I don't know how you can even fathom F. He has no respect for any emotions but pride.
    Going off of the very backstory that Barney tells us in that pivotal episode, he narrates his motivation to live his life the way he does because he kept being burned in both his personal life with girls and his professional life with jobs by being too much of an idealist. He tells us explicitly that he couldn't take it anymore because it hurt too much, so he resigned himself to changing his approach so he could move past the heartbreak.

Note too that absolutely everything Barney does is centralized around people. There's not a single thing that captivates his interest if it doesn't involve connecting with someone, even the liberty bell required Ted to come along and look at how distressed Barney was when he didn't want to. Barney does nothing that isn't anchored in actively experiencing people. Unlike Ted with his architecture interests, Lilly with her painting . . . Barney is pure ENFJ.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Women are people, but Barney does not see them as people. He sees them as sex machines. And who would want to lick the liberty bell by themselves. They would have nobody to back up their claim, which is something Barney needs to feed his ego.

ENFJs are the benevolent 'pedagogues' of humanity. They have tremendous charisma by which many are drawn into their nurturant tutelage and/or grand schemes. Many ENFJs have tremendous power to manipulate others with their phenomenal interpersonal skills and unique salesmanship. But it's usually not meant as manipulation -- ENFJs generally believe in their dreams, and see themselves as helpers and enablers, which they usually are.

ENFJs are global learners. They see the big picture. The ENFJs focus is expansive. Some can juggle an amazing number of responsibilities or projects simultaneously. Many ENFJs have tremendous entrepreneurial ability.

ENFJs are, by definition, Js, with whom we associate organization and decisiveness. But they don't resemble the SJs or even the NTJs in organization of the environment nor occasional recalcitrance. ENFJs are organized in the arena of interpersonal affairs. Their offices may or may not be cluttered, but their conclusions (reached through feelings) about people and motives are drawn much more quickly and are more resilient than those of their NFP counterparts.

ENFJs know and appreciate people. Like most NFs, (and Feelers in general), they are apt to neglect themselves and their own needs for the needs of others. They have thinner psychological boundaries than most, and are at risk for being hurt or even abused by less sensitive people. ENFJs often take on more of the burdens of others than they can bear.
    TRADEMARK: "The first shall be last"
    This refers to the open-door policy of ENFJs. One ENFJ colleague always welcomes me into his office regardless of his own circumstances. If another person comes to the door, he allows them to interrupt our conversation with their need. While discussing that need, the phone rings and he stops to answer it. Others drop in with a 'quick question.' I finally get up, go to my office and use the call waiting feature on the telephone. When he hangs up, I have his undivided attention!

Functional Analysis:
    Extraverted Feeling
    Extraverted Feeling rules the ENFJ's psyche. In the sway of this rational function, these folks are predisposed to closure in matters pertaining to people, and especially on behalf of their beloved. As extraverts, their contacts are wide ranging. Face-to-face relationships are intense, personable and warm, though they may be so infrequently achieved that intimate friendships are rare.
    Introverted iNtuition
    Like their INFJ cousins, ENFJs are blessed through introverted intuition with clarity of perception in the inner, unconscious world. Dominant Feeling prefers to find the silver lining in even the most beggarly perceptions of those in their expanding circle of friends and, of course, in themselves. In less balanced individuals, such mitigation of the unseemly eventually undermines the ENFJ's integrity and frequently their good name. In healthier individuals, deft use of this awareness of the inner needs and desires of others enables this astute type to win friends, influence people, and avoid compromising entanglements. Not sure what most of this paragraph means.

The dynamic nature of their intuition moves ENFJs from one project to another with the assurance that the next one will be perfect, or much more nearly so than the last. ENFJs are continually looking for newer and better solutions to benefit their extensive family, staff, or organization.
    Extraverted Sensing
    Sensing is extraverted. ENFJs can manage details, particularly those necessary to implement the prevailing vision. These data have, however, a magical flexible quality. Something to be bought can be had for a song; the same something is invaluable when it's time to sell. (We are not certain, but we suspect that such is the influence of the primary function.) This wavering of sensory perception is made possible by the weaker and less mature status with which the tertiary is endowed.
    Introverted Thinking
    Introverted Thinking is least apparent and most enigmatic in this type. In fact, it often appears only when summoned by Feeling. At times only in jest, but in earnest if need be, Thinking entertains as logical only those conclusions which support Feeling's values. Other scenarios can be shown invalid or at best significantly inferior. Such "Thinking in the service of Feeling" has the appearance of logic, but somehow it never quite adds up.

Introverted Thinking is frequently the focus of the spiritual quest of ENFJs. David's lengthiest psalm, 119, pays it homage. "Law," "precept," "commandment," "statute:" these essences of inner thinking are the mysteries of Deity for which this great Feeler's soul searched.
    I think the reason ENFJ seems right to you and fits some of his traits is because it contains the same functions as ESTP. But the ESTP profile fits far better, as you can see where I posted it on an earlier page and crossed out the things that didn't fit well with Barney's personality.
    JiNe

I seriously doubt an ExTP would be so elaborate in his planning or so obsessed with his set of rules (Bro code).