• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type the 'A series of Unfortunate Events' characters

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The most common villain archetype actually seems to be INTJ I think, followed by ENTJ, ESTJ, ENTP and then maybe some Fs. I wonder if there are ever any ISFP villains though. I think they seem least likely.

I'd say that ESTP and ISTP villains are more common than ENTP. You're right about INTJ and ENTJ, though. It seems to me that NTJ/STP is where all the evil is usually happening.

When NTPs are villains, it seems like they're not deliberately evil like the NTJs or STPs, but rather misguided or lacking ethics (e.g., building things with evil implications, or conducting unethical scientific experiments.)

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I'd say that ESTP and ISTP villains are more common than ENTP. You're right about INTJ and ENTJ, though. It seems to me that NTJ/STP is where all the evil is usually happening.

When NTPs are villains, it seems like they're not deliberately evil like the NTJs or STPs, but rather misguided or lacking ethics (e.g., building things with evil implications, or conducting unethical scientific experiments.)

The ENTP is actually a fairly common (increasingly I think) villain type. It is the practical joker, the sadistic but scatterbrained evil genius who just likes to wreck peoples lives for their own enjoyment.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Okay, read the 5th book and started the 6th. So far my guesses are

Nero: No idea! He's a nutjob! But I think he's a P. Only doing the job because he has to and spends most of his time playing violin. XXXP.
Carmelita Spatts: ESTX, probably P.
Duncan: ISTJ
Isadora: INFJ
Mrs Bass and Mr Remora are too underdeveloped.
Esme Squalor: EXFJ is my guess so far, taking into account what I remember from the later books.
Jerome Squalor: XXFJ?

But these are just guesses and if there's anyone here who also reads these I'd like to discuss.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
So, new type estimates are

Violet Baudelaire: INTJ
Klaus Baudelaire: INTP
Sunny Baudelaire: ISTP
Count Olaf: ENTJ
Mr. Poe: XSTJ
Justice Strauss: ESFJ
Uncle Monty: ENTP
Aunt Josephine: ISFJ
Phil: ESFJ
Sir: ESTJ
Charles: IXFP
Dr. Orwell: ENTJ
Vice Principal Nero: XXXP
Carmelita Spatts: ESTP
Duncan Quagmire: XSTJ
Isadora Quagmire: INFJ
Jerome Squalor: XSFJ
Esme Squalor: ESFJ
Lemony Snicket: INFX
Hector: INTP
Hal: ISTJ
Olivia: ENFJ
Hugo: ISFJ
Kevin: ISFP
Colette: ISFP

Last edited:

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Read up to book 9 now.

Jerome: XSFJ
Esme: ESFJ
Council of Elders seem to be various SJs (Mr. Handler really isn't too nice to his SJs most of the time!) but mostly ISTJ
I think Hector is INTP. Various personal hobbies, inventing and reading, could be S but his Behind-the-scenes communication style and goal being simply to live by himself in a spatially restricted but unmonitored environment makes me think he's more likely N. An S would look for a more exciting life I expect.
Hal: ISTJ: Orderly, quiet, logical, simple but hardworking, not too inquisitive.
Milt the shopkeeper and Lou the deliveryman don't really have much to say, so it's hard to type them.
Volunteers Fighting disease seem mostly like a bunch of EXFPs.
Olivia (Madame Lulu): ENFJ, with WAY too much Fe!
Kevin and Collete seem like emo ISFPs.
Queen Debbie: ESFJ
Tony (Her boyfriend): ESFP

I really wish I could discuss this with someone rather than just posting by myself and having nobody to cross-examine my estimates.

Nymma

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
It's been an eternity since I've actually re-read the books, but I'll do my best.

Violet: INTJ

Klaus: INTP

Sunny: XSXP----Although she is an unusual baby, more progressive than most in her developpement, we can't really type someone at that age. I didn't see any signs of introversion or extroversion, and no indication of her being a T or an F. However, she seemed more SP oriented-Her hobbies-cooking & biting are physical or stuff done by hand. She is an artisan of food:)

Mr Poe: An obvious ISTJ: He is all for rules, the law, and NEVER listens to the Baudelaire when they say that Olaf is near; He trusts that stephano is stephano just because he says so. He is easily satisfied by the word alone, and trusts the authorities way too much. That behaviour matches the profile of an ISTJ. Now, for the matter of introversion, well, from what I remember of him, he is not very sociable. In bad beggining, when the Baudelaires went to see him in his office, he barely let them talk before dismissing them and their concerns about Olaf. And, he doesn't take the time to get to know the Baudelaire's next guardians when he meets them. It could be just because he's busy, but still, to me, apart from the polite "How do you do?", he appears to avoid social situations.

Josephine: ISFJ.

Olaf: ENTJ.

Phil: ESFJ.

Lemony Snicket: INFJ: I suppose INFP would be a good guess, but I don't quite see the idealistic-see-the-world-in-rose trait that many INFP have. And Snicket is an extremly nostalgic and melancolic person, which is true for most INFJs. I don't mean to stereotype the two INF types, but from the limited information we have on Snicket, this crappy argumentation is the best I can give.

Fiona: INFJ? I'm not very sure of this one...But the fact that she sided with her brother and Olaf, joined a side that she knew was wrong, for her (was it her stepfather? My memory is giving me trouble...)stepfather's sake tells me that she lets her heart rule her head. She needed to be alone in her research, which points towards I, and she seemed reserved to me.

I really don't know, I guess I should re-read the books to be able to type her, and the rest of them better.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Just finished the last book.

The Slippery Slope
This is my favourite book, because not only does it introduce an important and cool character, go into a deep exploration of V.F.D. and have some good emotional moments, but the books after seem to slack off in displaying the Baudelaires using their unique skills, sadly.

Quigley: INTJ
Man with beard but no hair and Woman with hair but no beard: NTJ, probably INTJ.
Jacques: Still can't type, but probably a J.

The Grim Grotto
Captain Widdershins: ESTJ. Comes off initially as ENTP, but that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. I think he's just an unusually loopy ESTJ.
Fiona: I think INFP. At first she seemed INTP, with her specific areas of interest and cautious analytical approach, but Fi can do a similar thing and she definitely made an internal value based decision to join her brother. She says "He may not be as noble as you Baudelaires but he's the only family I've got." and that sounds like Fi to me. Also, when Captain Widdershins dissapeared and she started trying to act like him, I think she went into her ESTJ shadow, driven by her Fi and Si, but managing with her Te.

Fernald, I think, is an ESXJ.

Lemony Snicket: INFJ: I suppose INFP would be a good guess, but I don't quite see the idealistic-see-the-world-in-rose trait that many INFP have. And Snicket is an extremly nostalgic and melancolic person, which is true for most INFJs. I don't mean to stereotype the two INF types, but from the limited information we have on Snicket, this crappy argumentation is the best I can give.
INFJ is possible, but I am leaning more towards INFP at the moment. The way he describes himself, while possibly innacurate, seems very Fi. INFPs are definitely not all lovey-dovey, and are actually very capable of becoming total emos.

I also changed my mind on Carmelita. She's an F.

The Penultimate Peril

Frank/Ernest: EXXJ. Hard to tell what exactly they are, especially since most of the time they're dropping hints or communicating in code. By the way, for those who are interested, the order the brothers appear in in the book by page is Ernest, Frank, Frank, Ernest, Dewey, and then you can't really tell after the harpoon is fired.

Dewey: INTP. Hiding in the background, devoting his life to finding and keeping information.

Kit Snicket: INFJ, or possibly ISFJ. Brilliant character.

The End

Friday: ESFP
Ishmael: Not a clue. Someone help me on this one? He's always acting or trying to trick someone.

By this point, I think both the Baudelaire parents seem like ENXPs, but of course the information we have on them is very limited and subjective.

I will now update the big list I have made several posts back with my current estimations.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Oh, it seems I have run out of edits on that post or something. Here is a new list.

Violet Baudelaire: INTJ (or possibly ISTP)
Klaus Baudelaire: INTP
Sunny Baudelaire: ISTP
Lemony Snicket: INFP
Mr. Poe: ISTJ
Justice Strauss: ESFJ
Phil: ESFJ
Sir: ESTJ
Charles: IXFP
Dr. Orwell: ENTJ
Vice Principal Nero: XXXP
Carmelita Spatts: ESFP
Duncan Quagmire: XSTJ
Isadora Quagmire: ISFJ
Jerome Squalor: XSFJ
Esme Squalor: ESFJ
Hector: INTP
Hal: ISTJ
Olivia: ENFJ
Kevin: ISFP
Colette: ISFP
Quigley Quagmire: INTJ
The man with a beard but no hair: INTJ
The woman with hair but no beard: INTJ
Captain Widdershins: ESTJ
Fiona: INFP
Kit Snicket: INFJ
Frank Denouement: EXXJ
Ernest Denouement: EXXJ
Dewey Denouement: INTP
Friday: ESFP
Ishmael: XXXX

thestral

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
I haven't read the series in a long time, and don't remember some of the characters, but...

Violet: ISTP (INTJ is possible, though)
Klaus: INTP
Sunny: xSTP
Mr. Poe: xSTJ

Oh, and as for Lemony Snicket himself, I don't know how no one else here saw this; INTP is perfect for him. How he's articulate, witty, intellectual, sophisticated, and incredibly self-deprecating. Also, he never shows his face, and is a "behind-the-scenes" kind of man. And he always mentions these random, unusual, obscure observations, which is very common among INTPs. The way he talks (or writes) is very Ti. Also, the weird tangents he tends to go off on is another INTP trait. And he's very...melancholy and nostalgic (INTP's Si makes them like this, too). The only other type I can see for him is INFJ, but INTP is much more likely... He doesn't strike me as a feeler. The way he writes and develops his characters isn't very...Feeler. And he's a detective; the first types I think of when I think of detectives are INTPs and ISTJs (oh, and he's definitely not an ISTJ).

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I'm really curious about this. What types are the characters?

CDH15

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm really curious about this. What types are the characters?

I noticed that the Rational temperament (NT) seems to be a lot more common in ASoUE than in the general population. Perhaps it has something to do with the dark mood of the stories. There are also a number of Idealist (NF) and Guardian (SJ) characters. Artisans (SP) seem to be less common.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I noticed that the Rational temperament (NT) seems to be a lot more common in ASoUE than in the general population. Perhaps it has something to do with the dark mood of the stories. There are also a number of Idealist (NF) and Guardian (SJ) characters. Artisans (SP) seem to be less common.

I only got upto the 7th book from what I remember. It was too boring. I read the wikipedia page on what happened.

Anyways, SP's are less common in the book. Do SP's not fit in the story?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I read those books forever ago... But yeah I would agree with most of the typings. Sunny is a bit too ill-defined to type though, but I guess from what is shown of her then yeah an SP, I would guess an ESTP from what I can remember.