• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Big Bang Theory

Contemptus

MBTI Type
INtJ
Enneagram
Sheldon seems too black and white for an INTJ (we are often very open to better possibilities). He always refers so much to his past experiences also and how it affected him which is also not INTJ and he can be quite emotional concerning verbal fights... I think ISTJ

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTJs do seem too black and white to outsiders, because they know they are right. And so is Sheldon, from his own wicked perspective. Everything else can be attributed to his OCD (except for the 'emotional verbal fights' part, in which case most INTJs seriously misjudge themselves, methinks).

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sheldon: INTJ
Leonard: INTP
Penny: ESFP

Easy.

I'd say the Leonard character is somewhere inbetween INTP and INFP. I wouldn't say he's a typical INTP anyways.

Overall, the show is a parody on stereotypical smart people. So I wouldn't go as far as seriously typing any of these characters. The show is fun though, doesn't need to be perfect. :p

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
House is ENTP, dammit!!!!!

Whoops, wrong thread.

Sheldon - INTJ
Leonard - INTP
Penny - ESFP
Wolowitz - ESTP (?)
Rajesh - INTP

Huh, are they all Ps, or is Sheldon's J just so overwhelming anyone would seem P compared to him?

blizzy

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
I think the overwhelming sentiment on Sheldon is that he is an INTJ. I watch TV rather infrequently -though when the TV is on, I could be caught watching Big Bang Theory somewhat regularly. Through the 6-8 episodes I have ever seen, I have tried to type Sheldon , and I anchored upon INTJ after this discourse:

Scene: The entrance lobby. Sheldon is sitting on the bottom step using his laptop. Penny comes down the stairs.

Penny: Sheldon? What are you doing?

Sheldon: Playing Super Mario on a poorly coded Nintendo 64 emulator.

Notice it is not just an "N64 emulator," but a "poorly coded N64 emulator." This conclusiveness and decisiveness in speech patterns is characteristic of xxxJ types.

Penny: Yeah, but why are you doing it on the stairs?

Sheldon: I’m a modern day Napoleon exiled to the Elba of the staircase because Leonard, get this, has a date.

This response hints strongly to perception rooted in possibilities rather than actualities (ie. intuition). Notice he says, "I'm a modern day Napolean..." not "I'm in the staircase like a modern day Napolean..." The former is him taking the form of the possibility (Ni), whereas the later is him applying the objective situation to a possibility (Ne).

Certainly this is hairsplitting and not necessarily completely indicative of the attitude applied to his intuition, but this statement appears more likely to come from an individual using Ni than an individual using Ne.

Penny: Oh. Oh, well, good for him. Yeah but, why are you sitting here, why don’t you just go to a movie or something?

Sheldon: Alone?

Penny: Yeah, why not?

Sheldon: What if I choke on my popcorn, who will administer the Heimlich maneuver?

The very nature of Ni is about foreseeing imperative implications of future events given the current situation. This is a tailor-made example.

Penny: Well then don’t order popcorn.

Sheldon: No popcorn at the mo… listen to yourself.

The tertiary function (ie. "eternal child" or "function of validation") for an INTJ is Fi. This is a great example of Sheldon's eternal child coming out to validate his stance through maintenance of inner harmony.

Penny: Well why don’t you go to a coffee shop?

Sheldon: I don’t drink coffee.

Penny: They have other things.

Sheldon: What do they have?

Penny: I don’t know, you know, cookies, pastries…

Sheldon: Pastries such as bearclaws?

Penny: Yeah, sure.

Sheldon: I don’t like bearclaws.

Yet again, this is outwardly judgmental behavior: when paired with inuition, xNxJ types are among the more naturally capable types at rearranging the thought process of a conversation to work in their favor. Sheldon forsees the line of questioning that is approaching, steers it in his favor, and then closes the door with an outwardly conclusive statement (that is another validation from the tertiary Fi to boot).

I like the distinction of Sheldon as an INTJ.

As a side note, Penny here is almost exclusively asking questions to get down to specifics: a common reflection of Se. When she does make statements, they are very observational (ie. non judgmental) in nature (eg. "They have other things"). Again, this is evidence of the xxxP distinction.

colourscientist

no way leonard is anything else than ENTP, big tertiary Fe. sheldon is INTJ, he's nowhere near to S. rajesh could be INTP, Ti-dom at the very least. wolowitz is kind of strange but i agree with Se.

Zenihita

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
no way leonard is anything else than ENTP, big tertiary Fe. sheldon is INTJ, he's nowhere near to S. rajesh could be INTP, Ti-dom at the very least. wolowitz is kind of strange but i agree with Se.
isn't he too timid and passive to be ENTP?

Zenihita

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
oh I'm not generalizing here, I just have a particular idea of ENTPs

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not familiar enough with the show yet to have much of an opinion, but I do want to note a couple of things about blizzy's analysis of the exchange on the stairs (which incidentally I haven't seen so I'm going by the quotes):

The very nature of Ni is about foreseeing imperative implications of future events given the current situation. This is a tailor-made example.
Focusing on specific, unlikely, negative, possible future scenarios to worry about is more unhealthy use of (perhaps inferior) Ne than it is healthy use of dominant Ni.

The tertiary function (ie. "eternal child" or "function of validation") for an INTJ is Fi. This is a great example of Sheldon's eternal child coming out to validate his stance through maintenance of inner harmony.
It looks more like Si to me - popcorn at the movies is an iconic association set up by past experience and tradition, and Sheldon is nigh incapable of conceiving of going to the movies without getting popcorn because of this.

Although, Fi is also ISTJ's tertiary function, so yeah...

I don't know whether Sheldon's closer to ISTJ or INTJ, but I do think the exchange here is certainly consistent with either possibility.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Sheldon is definitely an INTJ. Not S...
I agree with Penny being ESFP
Not sure about Leonard... xNTP

As for the ENTP comments... ENTP's are passive and timid. One of my buddies is a strong ENTP. I can't believe some of the misconceptions of the ENTP type on here. I'm guessing many of you don't know any ENTP's.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sheldon: INTJ
Leonard: xNTP (I initially thought INTP, too, but I could see ENTP)
Penny: ESFx (I've been thinking of her as an ESFJ, but I can also see ESFP)
Raj: INTP
Wolowitz: ESTJ
Sheldon's Mother: ESFJ

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I humbly suggest, by the way, that Leonard is an NF. Think about it. No, really, think about it. Consider his responses to characters, his approach to life, love and friendship.

I vote either ENFJ or INFP- Fe Ni or Fi Ne respectively.

That said, the characters aren't always consistent with themselves. Sometimes Leonard behaves like an introvert, sometimes like an extrovert- sometimes Sheldon's more like an S-type, sometimes more like an N-type- they just play up whatever side of the character that they need to for comic effect.

Wolowitz is an ESTP, much like The Rock, Duke Nukem or Johnny Bravo.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
I humbly suggest, by the way, that Leonard is an NF. Think about it. No, really, think about it. Consider his responses to characters, his approach to life, love and friendship.

I vote either ENFJ or INFP- Fe Ni or Fi Ne respectively.

That said, the characters aren't always consistent with themselves. Sometimes Leonard behaves like an introvert, sometimes like an extrovert- sometimes Sheldon's more like an S-type, sometimes more like an N-type- they just play up whatever side of the character that they need to for comic effect.

Wolowitz is an ESTP, much like The Rock, Duke Nukem or Johnny Bravo.

agree with absolutely everything. i thought leonard to be enfp with T developed through his work with science and his association with sheldon and the jewish dude

sheldon...he insists he is not crazy cuz his mom had him tested. he is not exactly a new idea kind of a guy. he is more of a build on existing stuff using existing stuff kind of a guy

i like rajesh..hes the best character on the show...doing his own thing

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Leonard is not a Feeler. And he definitely doesn't have Fi.

Ti is much much much more concerned with logical consistency and accuracy than acheiving moral perfection, like that of Fi. That however isn't to say that Feelers can't be logical or successful physicists. But, to have a natural affinity for and be more concerned with logical accuracy is much more of a Thinker trait, particularly Ti. From what I've observed about the character (although admittedly it's pretty difficult to type television characters at all) Leonard has a lack of Fe, which can sometimes confused with the total absence of Fe, or Fi, because the behavior can appear similarly. To me Leonard seems to merely lack Fe. Further, a Fi dom/aux would be much more adapt to understand the interactions of and cooperate with people and take more interest in who a person is and what he is about because of a natural interest we take in people. Most of our ideas are people-based. Leonard on the other hand is absolutely clueless about people, interpersonal relationships, and social expectation. He knows some of the rules of social convention and adheres to those, but the rest is usually what makes the show so hilarious since those rules seem so obvious to us the viewers. I'm just having a hard time seeing Fi anywhere near that character('s dominant and aux function).

But... who knows? You could be right.

@Visa - I would agree with you that Wolowitz is, or could be, an ESTP. I couldn't decide if he had Si or Se and then just gave up and finally picked one, but I think you may be right with the ESTP typing. I have a hard time with the P and J disparity sometimes.