User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Michael Jackson

I was also thinking about MJ's enneagram type.

My guess is either 4w3 or 3w4. He had the whole emotional "suffering artist" and "I must be unique" thing of a 4 going on but a lot of icons also tend to be 3s since at their best they can be a great example to humanity what it is capable of (and at their worst, well, the opposite; no middle ground there)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I was also thinking about MJ's enneagram type.

My guess is either 4w3 or 3w4. He had the whole emotional "suffering artist" and "I must be unique" thing of a 4 going on but a lot of icons also tend to be 3s since at their best they can be a great example to humanity what it is capable of (and at their worst, well, the opposite; no middle ground there)
    Good call. There are sites that already have MJ pegged as ISFP, 4w3. But I could also see the 3w4 possibility.

MBTI
    I

The question for Michael was is he more NeSi or SeNi ? That would determine IxFP.

If you see this link he was strongly Se I would say; very, very appearance and image-conscious. This guy let a supersized statue of himself float down the Thames after all, I can't really see an INFP doing that.

Michael Jackson's 10 Most Iconic Looks - MUST-HAVE JACKET - Michael Jackson : People.com

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I never saw ISFPs as performers, I always had them pegged down as the quiet, artsy cousins of the über-charismatic ESFPs (to me the quintessential performers) who prefer to stay in the background. Guess I am wrong.
    There are two kinds of performers: the ESFP kind who are always "on" and you just have to catch them on a good day to have something to show the audience and the ISFP kind who are usually quiet but can channel their Se side if they have the right medium. The latter are more likely to be great artists (Prince, Mozart, Fred Astaire) because they need the outlet in order to perform. The former can do it in their backyard.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

ISFP like no other
    too bad the guy had a rough life and never got the privacy he so needed
    and as soon as he died, he was put on a T-shirt and sold
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

My guess is INFP. But some the arguments for ISFP are very convincing, so I think it could be either....

I think that one thing that makes it difficult to guess his type is that because of childhood abuse he probably never matured past a child's emotional maturity. The negative descriptions of INFP vs. ISFP (such as on personalitypage.com) might provide some insight:

Negative Traits of INFPs -->

* May be extremely sensitive to any kind of criticism
    * May perceive criticism where none was intended
    * May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality
    * May be unable to acknowledge or hear anything that goes against their personal ideas and opinions
    * May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly
    * May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper
    * May be unaware of appropriate social behavior
    * May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress
    * May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it
    * May be unable to see or understand anyone else's point of view
    * May value their own opinions and feelings far above others
    * May be unaware of how their behavior affects others
    * May be oblivious to other people's need
    * May feel overwhelmed with tension and stress when someone expresses disagreement with the INFP, or disapproval of the INFP
    * May develop strong judgments that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive or suppressive to them [life-long ill-will toward his abusive father and older brother Tito, if I'm not mistaken]
    * Under great stress, may obsess about details that are unimportant to the big picture of things
    * Under stress, may obsessively brood over a problem repeatedly
    * May have unreasonable expectations of others
    * May have difficulty maintaining close relationships, due to unreasonable expectations [save for a small number of close friends, is it fair to say that his inner circle was a revolving door of people?]

Negative Traits of ISFPs -->

* May be extremely sensitive to any kind of criticism
    * May be unable to see the opportunities inherent to a situation
    * May perceive criticism where none was intended
    * May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality
    * May be unable to acknowledge or hear anything that goes against their personal ideas and opinions
    * May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly
    * May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper
    * May be unaware of appropriate social behavior
    * May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress
    * May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it
    * May be unable to see or understand anyone else's point of view
    * May value their own opinions and feelings far above others
    * May be unaware of how their behavior affects others
    * May be oblivious to other people's need
    * May feel overwhelmed with tension and stress when someone expresses disagreement with the ISFP, or disapproval of the ISFP
    * May develop strong judgments that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive or suppressive to them
    * Under great stress, may feel out of control and fearful, dwelling on the "dark side" of things

Hmm... I need some time to mull that over more so I'll just keep going with why my tentative gut reaction is INFP.

I think of INFPs (unhealthy INFPs at least) as the quintessential tortured artists. Also, Michael Jackson was certainly VERY unusual, and I think Ne's are the most unusual, nonconventional types. I feel that ISxPs are not bound by convention, but nonetheless they wouldn't stray as far from it as Michael Jackson did. Then again, there's his immaturity and drug use that could be clouding the picture.

Many posters mentioned MJ's incredible dance skill as being an argument for ISFP. I think that's possible but there may be another interpretation. I think of Se types as being extremely confident in their skin and having an earthy, sensual presence. That was not MJ. He seemed gaunt and awkward in public appearances, though of course when he stepped on stage to dance it was electric. There was something transcendent about his dancing skills. He was extremely innovative in that regard, which I think of as an Ne trait.

Then again, I was at a party this past weekend and we played Michael Jackson non-stop as a tribute, and one of the shyest, quietest ISxPs I've ever met got up in the middle of a song and did the most dead-on MJ dance moves I've ever seen in my life. Seriously, it was incredible. I was like, whaaaat?? How do you have all that inside you??? So what do I know. Maybe MJ was ISFP after all.

your resident asshole

He is definitely ISFP or INFP. I'm leaning more towards ISFP.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Umm is it just me or are those negative trait lists virtually identical?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by mwv6r View Post
    There was something transcendent about his dancing skills.
    I love that sentence, normally when I think of the term "transcendent" I think of some hippy under a tree trying to reach spiritual enlightenment (or something similar) and I just love that Michael Jackson used a physical skill like dancing to point people to something higher that goes beyond themselves and their little existence. RIP the King.