User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    INFP

Default Shutter Island MBTI

I watched this film for the first time a couple of nights ago, and probably need a second viewing before I decide if I like it or not (I guessed the first interpretation of the ending after ten minutes, but that aside, it was very atmospheric.)

Anyway, what do you all think the types are for the main characters? I'd advise we warn about spoilers here too.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Very interesting movie. I watched it three times in two days a couple of months ago...I was set on understanding everything in the movie. Sadly, I didn't analyze the characters as well as I should.

(SPOILER ALERT) it's difficult to type the mentally insane and people who are putting on an act. because there were no healthy, non-acting people in the movie (SPOILER ALERT!!) know what I'm sayinnnnn?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    INFP

I think it also depends on which version of events you believe, especially when typing people such as Teddy and Cawley.

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Okay with some use of Wikipedia to remember everyone's names...

Marshall Chuck: I always saw as an ISFJ. Loyal, dependable, kind-natured.
    Dr John Cawley: ENTJ

I'm leaving it there. I NEVER attempt to type the mentally unsound. It's nigh on impossible.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    INFP

Thanks guys for getting the ball rolling... what if we say (for exploration's sake) Teddy was right?

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I'd say ISTP for Teddy.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

The wife is probably ENFP.

Teddy is probably ISTP.

Cawley might be INTJ?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Spoilers- like duh.

Cawley's an NF of some sort, I'd think. He is like the portrait of an idealist. Think about when he says things like "I have this strange notion that if you treat someone like a human being and with respect, they will be better equipped to control themselves" or something, that's a very loose paraphrase. The WHOLE MOVIE is his elaborate and very impractical treatment plan for Andrew. It works, but he doesn't know it works, because Andrew decides to be lobotomized to forget the pain of what his wife did and what he did. The German doctor is Cawley's INTJ foil, and the slightly unhinged warden is his xSTx foil. That was one of the things I really liked about the movie, that triangulation. It was done very subtly.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Spoilers- like duh.

Cawley's an NF of some sort, I'd think. He is like the portrait of an idealist. Think about when he says things like "I have this strange notion that if you treat someone like a human being and with respect, they will be better equipped to control themselves" or something, that's a very loose paraphrase. The WHOLE MOVIE is his elaborate and very impractical treatment plan for Andrew. It works, but he doesn't know it works, because Andrew decides to be lobotomized to forget the pain of what his wife did and what he did. The German doctor is Cawley's INTJ foil, and the slightly unhinged warden is his xSTx foil. That was one of the things I really liked about the movie, that triangulation. It was done very subtly.
    SPOILERS

Dr Cawley, on second viewing, strikes me as either an ENFJ or an INFJ.The German doctor is most definitely INTJ, and I also agree that Chuck is your traditional ISFJ. Andrew strikes me as INTP because he is able to create a whole life story, with anagrams as well, in order to block out his guilt/pain. If he's actually Teddy, maybe ISTP...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I would definitely sign on for xNFJ for Dr. Cawley.

I don't know that we get a real indication of Chuck's type since he's playing a role almost the whole time- and the role he is playing is that of caretaker. I don't think that means the doctor who is playing Chuck is an ISFJ.

In terms of interpretation, I don't entertain the notion that Andrew is actually Teddy at all. It seems obvious to me that he is not. But having said that I don't really get a good feel for Andrew's type since he's experiencing a break with reality for most of the movie.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii