• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fictional detectives & MBTI types?

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think he's an I because he speaks out loud, and is very agitated.
F doesn't fit well because he's very objective/scientific and doesn't really care about harmony, or hurting other people's feelings.

So I guess ESTP. Although he's kinda weird for an ESTP.

Either way, I love the show.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The fact he doesn' care about hurting other people's feelings is actually one of the reasons I don't think he's ESTP. As Fe-tertiaries, ESTPs tend to focus more on the emotional atmosphere and beliefs of those around them, rather than their own. Cal on the other hand always butts in when he considers something to be wrong by his own standards (for example, he rats on a woman's husband at random in front of her. Why? He thinks the husband is cheating). If he's not ESFP, he's ENTJ. Besides, he can be a very nice, caring man when he wants to be - he stalks Foster's husband when he suspects infidelity, for example.

I suspect ESFP though, because his motivation is not scientific inquiry, but rather regret over fucking up and losing his mother in the process by letting her out. He's determined to not fuck up analysis again, no matter what the cost, so long as it preserves lives. A better example of a genuinely-rational person is Torres, or Reynolds (ISTP and ISTJ respectively).

Destiny

A wannabe dog
I saw websites typing Hercule Poirot as INFJ, but I don't agree with the INFJ typing.

He is an INTJ, imo.

whatisfreethen

MBTI Type
INTP
I remember reading somewhere about him being an INFJ.

Dominant Introverted Intuition in the way he sees seemingly unrelated facts instantly for what they are, in a way Extraverted Intuition wouldn't work. Also if he was dominant Extraverted Intuition he would be compelled to broadcast his ideas to his companions, rather than save them all up at the end for the denoument.

Auxilary Extraverted Feeling because he is always going out of his way to make people feel comfortable. This, he does use with manipulation sometimes as it is this function that helps him get information out of suspects and witnesses. He also concerned primarily for the psychology of the crime when looking for a suspect, rather than Sherlock Holmes who is more interested in the facts and clues.

ISFJ, according to me.
His extreme importance to even the slightest detail almost undoubtedly establishes him as an Si dominant.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has anyone watched the show The Killing (US remake) and attempted to type the 2 main characters?
I'd also like to hear your thoughts on the True Detectives duo in season 1.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
L from Death Note was INTP
Lunge from Monster was ISTP (commonly typed as Ni dom because of Ti).
I have no idea about Sherlock (BBC). Seems Ni and Ti. I think he changes depending on the episode. In the most recent episode he was using Ni.
The police woman from Gone Girl was XSTJ.

Last edited:

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Anyone else watched the series Hannibal? I'm gradually watching them all, but my current impressions are:

Will Graham: INFP
Hannibal Lecter: ISTP
Jack Crawford: ESTJ

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyone else watched the series Hannibal? I'm gradually watching them all, but my current impressions are:

Will Graham: INFP
Hannibal Lecter: ISTP
Jack Crawford: ESTJ

Interesting. I agree with your typings for Graham and Crawford, so I'm curious as to why you think ISTP for Lecter. I think he's a pretty classic INTJ 5w4.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Interesting. I agree with your typings for Graham and Crawford, so I'm curious as to why you think ISTP for Lecter. I think he's a pretty classic INTJ 5w4.

To be honest, knowing that Lecter is an intelligent psychopath muddies the water when it comes to typing. I did consider INTJ as an alternative and he is most certainly a 5. The series Hannibal (I haven't read the books) shows me an artisanal Hannibal, it isn't as much as the efficient killer he is, there's the essence of craft and practicality in his work, each killing is a piece rather than part of a masterplan. And he sees the logic in consuming part of his kills, and the thrill of getting away with serving them to his friends and associates too. I see some elements of Ni, but not Te so much. I will watch the rest of Hannibal over time and see if my opinion changes though.

I did search the internet to see what the general consensus is on Hannibal and it isn't only us who disagree...

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To be honest, knowing that Lecter is an intelligent psychopath muddies the water when it comes to typing. I did consider INTJ as an alternative and he is most certainly a 5. The series Hannibal (I haven't read the books) shows me an artisanal Hannibal, it isn't as much as the efficient killer he is, there's the essence of craft and practicality in his work, each killing is a piece rather than part of a masterplan. And he sees the logic in consuming part of his kills, and the thrill of getting away with serving them to his friends and associates too. I see some elements of Ni, but not Te so much. I will watch the rest of Hannibal over time and see if my opinion changes though.

I did search the internet to see what the general consensus is on Hannibal and it isn't only us who disagree...

That's fascinating. It really changes the whole character to think of Hannibal as a genius tactician who's doing the things he's doing in the moment, as opposed to an Ni-dom with a long game who'd choreographed everything from the start. Not sure which one makes him more terrifying, actually lol.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Has anyone watched the show The Killing (US remake) and attempted to type the 2 main characters?

I'm not great at typing, but I would guess

Sarah - eSTJ, counterphobic 6 (sx/sp?)
Holder - ESTP 8, maybe social-second.

Duffy

I'd also like to hear your thoughts on the True Detectives duo in season 1.

The Killing:
Sarah - Agree w/ decrescendo, 6w5 sp/sx
Holder - 7w6 sp/sx

True Detective:
Cohle - Ni-dom; sp/sx 1w9 - 6w5 - 4w5
Marty - Fe-dom; so/sx 3w2 - 6w7 - 8w7

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Sherlock Holmes is an INTP in just about every version I know of

DoctorCroupy#9

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was thinking about it the other day, and I came to the conclusion that L (from Death Note) and Columbo (from Columbo) are super similar in the way they investigate, and most likely both function as the ENTPs in their respective narratives.

Columbo - ENTP

He goes into the crime scene, meets the people involved, and very, very early on just knows who did it by reading the room and making intuitive jumps. Clearly an Extroverted Intuitive. The rest of the show is him building a case for his intuitive leap. He uses lawyer like "gotcha" tricks and dissects everything his chosen suspect says and does to build his case, and if possible, get him to incriminate himself so he doesn't have to work too hard to find physical evidence.

I'm very confident that Columbo is an ENTP.

L - possibly INTP (when you look at how he acts; he looks like stereotypical INTP) but functionally I would almost say ENTP like Columbo

He works very similarly to Columbo. Many want to type him as introverted (because he is, socially, clearly a loner and looks like an INTP stereotype), but when you actually break down his functions, he could also very easily be ENTP, because he, like Columbo, starts by selecting a suspect based an intuitive leap or idea built from external observation, and then spends the rest of his time trying to prove his mental 'claim' with his high precision Introverted Thinking.

You would think, if he were INTP, he would lead with Introverted Thinking (like most INTP detectives) by building up evidence, and make intuitive leaps of faith later on once he's exercised some of his Thinking preference. That would be a safe method of investigation, which brings me to my next point; L is a calculated risk taker - an ENTP calling card. Not so much an INTP thing.

I'm pretty confident L is, at least, functionally an ENTP, but he overall seems to be an unintentional amalgamation of the two types when you factor in his looks, demeanor, social life, ect.

What do you guys think of this analysis? I know I'm going against the grain of common belief in typing L as anything other than INTP, but it's just a theory I had.

Markz Demerius

MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Sherlock[BBC]: INTP
Sherlock[Movies]: ENTP
L: INTP
Near: INTJ
Mello: ENFP
Fox Mulder: INxP
Rorschasch: ISTJ or INFP sociopath
Batman: IxTJ
Lunge: INTx
Clarice: IxTJ
Detective from V for Vendetta: ISTP
Rust: INTP

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Why Will is INFP?

The most relevant points for me were that he is a deeply imaginative person with the internal worlds he creates, and that he was described as having 'pure empathy'. From this I see him as a Fi-dom with auxiliary Ne. How do you see him?

Markz Demerius

MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
5w4
The most relevant points for me were that he is a deeply imaginative person with the internal worlds he creates, and that he was described as having 'pure empathy'. From this I see him as a Fi-dom with auxiliary Ne. How do you see him?

I also see it as INFP. Internalization it creates absorbing the feeling of criminals for me is Fi - although many think that is Ni-Fe. I think he's very imaginative, unrealistic, and indecisive to be an INFJ. I agree with INFP.
I tried to show my point of view in the comments of this site, but it seems that they tend to want to show that Will is INFJ: Hannibal: Will Graham [INFJ] Ni: Will... - Funky MBTI in Fiction