• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fictional detectives & MBTI types?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
What would be Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot's MBTI type?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I remember reading somewhere about him being an INFJ.

Dominant Introverted Intuition in the way he sees seemingly unrelated facts instantly for what they are, in a way Extraverted Intuition wouldn't work. Also if he was dominant Extraverted Intuition he would be compelled to broadcast his ideas to his companions, rather than save them all up at the end for the denoument.

Auxilary Extraverted Feeling because he is always going out of his way to make people feel comfortable. This, he does use with manipulation sometimes as it is this function that helps him get information out of suspects and witnesses. He also concerned primarily for the psychology of the crime when looking for a suspect, rather than Sherlock Holmes who is more interested in the facts and clues.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Good reasoning there Mort Belfry!

I think you might be right!
INFJ. No wonder I like Poirot a lot! :)

What about Jane Marple?
ISFJ?

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know about Marple, I mean you could argue that Christie just such took the same character and turned it into a little old woman.

I think Aradne Oliver is an INXP. Given that she's supposed to be based on Christie herself, I wonder if she's the same.

Last edited:

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Titular Detective Types

Everyone likes detetives... to some degree.

So what do you think they are? The famous leading detectives in all the shows and books. I've not seen that many to be honest that I could be confident enough to type, but I'll list all the ones I can think of, even if I can't tye them. In fact for the time being, I won't type them at all.

Sherlock Holmes:
Hercule Poirot:
Jane Marple:
Auguste Dupin:
Columbo:
Adrian Monk:
Patrick Jane:
Cal Lightman:

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
They are all S's

Except Mulder from the X-files.. he is an N

Detectives by their very nature are sensors.

Detail oriented and trusting gut feelings.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everyone likes detetives... to some degree.

So what do you think they are? The famous leading detectives in all the shows and books. I've not seen that many to be honest that I could be confident enough to type, but I'll list all the ones I can think of, even if I can't tye them. In fact for the time being, I won't type them at all.

Are you a Jeremy Brett fan? I hope so! I first read Sherlock Holmes when I was seven or eight, but JB was in large part responsible for triggering my massive Sherlock Holmes obsession, which dominated a good chunk of my imaginative life in my teens, and is still present though more in the background...

What type do you think JB portrayed Holmes as? I'm really not sure. Just curious about your opinion.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
OH are you suggesting they are all N's??

I can't wait to see your reasoning.. because your reasoning mostly just seems to say the other person's is wrong and never really elaborate why.

Please prove to me that a job that requires linear reasoning, noticing fine details, and picking up physical cues form people would be suited to an N..
Evidence is key.

Now tell me how .."I just know" is going to stand up in court.

Look at the Crap Mulder goes through because he just "knows"

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Are you a Jeremy Brett fan? I hope so! I first read Sherlock Holmes when I was seven or eight, but JB was in large part responsible for triggering my massive Sherlock Holmes obsession, which dominated a good chunk of my imaginative life in my teens, and is still present though more in the background...

What type do you think JB portrayed Holmes as? I'm really not sure. Just curious about your opinion.

I have watched a little of Brett. I think he was pretty damn accurate from what little I did see and I think he portrayed him as INTP, like the books.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
OH are you suggesting they are all N's??

No.

I can't wait to see your reasoning.. because your reasoning mostly just seems to say the other person's is wrong and never really elaborate why.

Please prove to me that a job that requires linear reasoning, noticing fine details, and picking up physical cues form people would be suited to an N..
Evidence is key.

You seem to be under the impression that a) Ns cannot possible notice details and b) A job that requires abstract thinking, complex patterns and linking concepts and ideas together would be suited to an S.

Both Ss and Ns can be detectives and both can use N and S functions at the same time. But they generally have different approaches depending on their preferences.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have watched a little of Brett. I think he was pretty damn accurate from what little I did see and I think he portrayed him as INTP, like the books.

Yes, I think INTP is probably accurate. Though...in terms of either JB or the books...I'm really only sure about IxTx.

You MUST watch more if you have only watched a few. Certainly up until the early 90s or so those episodes were pure bliss. In some of the later episodes, the stories were either massively revised to their detriment, or JB was getting really ill and was not really up to it - both his performance and appearance suffered.

I don't know which ones you've seen but some of my fav episodes are:

The Second Stain
The Sign of Four
The Blue Carbuncle
The Six Napoleons
The Empty House
The Devil's Foot

Etc etc etc :)

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Now tell me how .."I just know" is going to stand up in court.

Look at the Crap Mulder goes through because he just "knows"

You think an N detective "Just knows"? That may be true with certain NFs, who would rather trust the feeling of a moment and go with a hunch, but most NTs and I expect many NFs as well do not make important accusations based on "I just know."

This seems to be some confusion between N and S. Yet you even mentioned "Gut instincts" as one (of 2) reason Ss would be better. What is a gut instinct if not an "I just know."?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
No.

You seem to be under the impression that a) Ns cannot possible notice details and b) A job that requires abstract thinking, complex patterns and linking concepts and ideas together would be suited to an S.

Both Ss and Ns can be detectives and both can use N and S functions at the same time. But they generally have different approaches depending on their preferences.
Yes that is how it seems.. And that makes you a good detective.
However I have motivations that you would not understand unless you have been paying really close attention. Even The N's on here just don't seem to get what my gig is. Even when I am blatant and obvious.
an astute sensor should have had me figured out months ago. An N is too busy looking for hidden meanings that they missing what's been so plainly right in front of them.
I am not to hard to figure out, it's just that we don't have enough sensors on the forum. If we did.. I would have been nailed by now .

Am I crazy? probably.. so don't hurt yourself too much if you don't know what the hell I am talking about.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sherlock Holmes: INTP
Adrian Monk: ISTJ
Patrick Jane: INFJ
Cal Lightman: ISTP
Shawn Spencer: ENTP
Gregory House: ENFP
Fox Mulder: INFP
Veronica Mars: ENTJ
Brenda Leigh Johnson: ENTJ

They are all S's

Except Mulder from the X-files.. he is an N

Detectives by their very nature are sensors.

Detail oriented and trusting gut feelings.
Retarded point of the century.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Yes that is how it seems.. And that makes you a good detective.
However I have motivations that you would not understand unless you have been paying really close attention. Even The N's on here just don't seem to get what my gig is. Even when I am blatant and obvious.
an astute sensor should have had me figured out months ago. An N is too busy looking for hidden meanings that they missing what's been so plainly right in front of them.
I am not to hard to figure out, it's just that we don't have enough sensors on the forum. If we did.. I would have been nailed by now .

Am I crazy? probably.. so don't hurt yourself too much if you don't know what the hell I am talking about.

Well I figured out you were crazy in the first thread we were in discussion, plus had it confirmed to me with a private message, so I think we're done.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Gregory House: ENFP

I never really understood how House was an F. He's always trying to find the truth and solve the problem. He is often brutally rational and I even remember in a recent episode, Cuddy said "Not everything can be treated as a mathematical equation" to him, which I think sums him up nicely. I've always seen him as a T, if a somewhat emotional one at times.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Going back to the relevant portion of this discussion...

I never really understood how House was an F. He's always trying to find the truth and solve the problem. He is often brutally rational and I even remember in a recent episode, Cuddy said "Not everything can be treated as a mathematical equation" to him, which I think sums him up nicely. I've always seen him as a T, if a somewhat emotional one at times.
House is undeniably either ENTP or ENFP. I think F because he generally speaking starts off his investigations with some arbitrarily-defined axiom or another (as opposed to a deduction or anything logically consistent), which he then flatly refuses to let go of no matter what happens. Most of the plot usually revolves around House stubbornly holding on to some personal belief or another, and everyone else trying to prove him wrong.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Going back to the relevant portion of this discussion...

House is undeniably either ENTP or ENFP. I think F because he generally speaking starts off his investigations with some arbitrarily-defined axiom or another (as opposed to a deduction or anything logically consistent), which he then flatly refuses to let go of no matter what happens. Most of the plot usually revolves around House stubbornly holding on to some personal belief or another, and everyone else trying to prove him wrong.

That does seem a little like F, though I think (I don't always know what he's talking about) that they usually seem more logically based. He is stubborn, yeah. Though I think that's more of a "I won't accept that I'm wrong until you prove it" which I think is more like too much Ne to Ti, so it isn't as controlled. Whenever he is proved wrong, he immediately draws another conclusion. He seems to have a sort of Ne on rapid fire thing I think.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. Everythings a little fuzzy right now. I should go to bed...