• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Joan of Arc

Sunny Ghost

i've seen her typed as ISFP, INFP and ISFJ.

i personally rule out ISFJ. less Fe, more Fi. no Si.

impulse wise, more SP with Fi and Ni support.

what do you guys think? ISFP: impulsive hero idealist that moves into action, with little planning or discussing.

KDude

She's the patron saint of ISFPs :rolleyes: ;)

And France. But also ISFPs.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
David Keirsey has made her the prototype of INFP. I agree. She can't be S anyway. I have read numerous books about her, including the late Régine Pernoud's "Jeanne d'Arc par elle-même et ses témoins" and her words and behaviour scream out INF.

Last edited:

KDude

She can't be S? Honestly, I'd like to see an INFP start a war. Or swing their fists. And win. They are far more into just imagining a better world and counseling others to see some part of an ideal (and that's cool too). Not forcing one though.

It's truth. And Keirsey is a fool anyways. He associates ESFPs and ISFPs as one type.

Also, I would start a holy war in this thread.. just because. And no INFP would care to partake in it. :tongue:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Would you like for forum users to arrange a restaging with you as the centerpiece?

KDude

Short of a banning, I'm not sure how we'd accomplish a good stake burning. :thinking:

You're the INFP though.. probably have some good ideas. :)

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Do you see any hedonistic tendencies in Joan of Arc?

KDude

Do you see any in me? :rolleyes: If any SPs are reading this, they'll probably attest that they've seen me hate on that association with Se. Se is simply kind of.. inhabiting the present, and good at details.. antsy in that we like activity, not that either one can't do both, but usually a focus on concrete opportunity rather than imaginary/possibility.. even all that doesn't do it justice. What really doesn't do it justice though is thinking we're hedonists. Yeah, my type is the type that likes orgies, comfortable leather couches, and stuffing my face with hamburgers or something. I don't really care about any of that. I don't know if all ISFPs do, but I sure don't. I've also been a spiritual person (I'm not going to say exactly what) for over a decade, and I have just as many particulars that need to be met with people (socially speaking), or dating, or moderation in general - if not more than some NFs. I've seen threads where there are INFJs and INFPs who are fucking more and seemingly more unmoderrated and joyous in other sort of sensory tastes than I am. I'm not judging them, but... I don't get it. I'm not NF (I think), and they aren't SPs. So what gives? I'll tell what gives: You need to redefine Se. You got it wrong.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I've got nothing myself, just MBTI descriptions. I suppose typology got it wrong.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
"Joan of Arc can't be ISFP I read a book about her"

" Well she can't be INFP because she has balls and actually does stuff"

"Well she can't be ISFP because ISFPs are hedonists!"

:nice:

Surely you guys can do better then this stereotyping crap?

KDude

I've got nothing myself, just MBTI descriptions. I suppose typology got it wrong.
About as hedonistic as we're described is that we are in touch with sensory impressions-but I dunno.. hedonism seems more of a specific expression of that. And besides, we are Fi types too.

Anyways, I don't mean to sound too defensive. I guess, personally, I think it's kind of a downer to be associated with that. If I had to say it, I would say I've kept up far too long to let any sense of depth I have simply get stripped from me from NFs on this site. I resent it. I know they care about deep things too..for sure. I just.. don't know how to bridge the gap there. It's like some people are determined to claim it all for themselves.

P.S. I'm kind of guilty of that too. Just in reverse. Quin's right XD

As far as typology descriptions go though, read Lenore Thomson's or Naomi Quenk's books. IFP's are bundled together in usual MBTI talk (and not like Keirsey does... I am not a Sensor first and foremost. I am a Fi dom), and it's easier to see the N/S distinction in the chapters on them.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
KDude, could you be INFP with a stronger S than most NFs?

Typology has already classified Joan of Arc as an idealist NF. I didn't. Is David Keirsey really a fool and the Enneagram as well for making her a Type One Reformer alongside Gandhi and Martin Luther?

Joan of Arc was described by her peers as an abnormally pious child who would stop playing to go talk to God. She was suprisingly skilled intellectually for an illiterate peasant who understood Scriptures and theology so well she could puzzle the Inquisitors and bring them back to the roots of the Christian faith by unveiling Catholicism's inconsistencies. Most NF reformers use diplomacy to get where they want to go, but Joan lived in a time of war and violence. If there would have been no physical warfare, the French people would not have survived, they were simply defending themselves. Joan understood the need to act in the physical, but she was also in constant spiritual warfare being a woman of prayer. She hated violence too. She would weep and fast often after battles because she was overwhelmed at the thought of so many soldiers dying without confession. And as concrete and political as her intervention was, it seems obvious that Joan's motivation was an abstract desire to do God's will. Joan said she never killed anyone herself, and she didn't. She was holding the banner and cheering the soldiers.

Is that satisfactory, Quinlan?

But I believe Joan was servant of God, and you can't put God's work in a MBTI box.

Joan of Arc by herself and her witnesses is an excellent read if you want the most accurate description and decide for yourself.

I know ISFPs have deep values. Please share some more if you care. I would like to understand.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I wonder if someone like ringo starr would object to being burned at the stake. Better than writing your own hit songs.

Or maybe dave matthews.

KDude

Ringo seems like he'd be much like.. Eric Idle on the cross in Life of Brian. I don't know why I'm associating them though.

Hmm.. I appreciate the post KLessard, but I'm not sure I can talk about all of it (my beliefs/experiences... all I can say is they aren't exactly S like). I've typed as an N before.. I don't know though. It's something to think about (once again :D).

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
ISFP would seem appropriate... After all, she was illiterate.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I have read In several places she was an ISFP.
Never seen INFP once. I am quite the fan Of Kiersey myself.. so I wonder how I missed that.

In general, not everyone who has done something is an N..

And just because you relate to something in someone, doesn't mean you must be the same type.

This really has to stop. :yes:

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
KDude, could you be INFP with a stronger S than most NFs?

Typology has already classified Joan of Arc as an idealist NF. I didn't. Is David Keirsey really a fool and the Enneagram as well for making her a Type One Reformer alongside Gandhi and Martin Luther?

Joan of Arc was described by her peers as an abnormally pious child who would stop playing to go talk to God. She was suprisingly skilled intellectually for an illiterate peasant who understood Scriptures and theology so well she could puzzle the Inquisitors and bring them back to the roots of the Christian faith by unveiling Catholicism's inconsistencies. Most NF reformers use diplomacy to get where they want to go, but Joan lived in a time of war and violence. If there would have been no physical warfare, the French people would not have survived, they were simply defending themselves. Joan understood the need to act in the physical, but she was also in constant spiritual warfare being a woman of prayer. She hated violence too. She would weep and fast often after battles because she was overwhelmed at the thought of so many soldiers dying without confession. And as concrete and political as her intervention was, it seems obvious that Joan's motivation was an abstract desire to do God's will. Joan said she never killed anyone herself, and she didn't. She was holding the banner and cheering the soldiers.

Is that satisfactory, Quinlan?

But I believe Joan was servant of God, and you can't put God's work in a MBTI box.

Joan of Arc by herself and her witnesses is an excellent read if you want the most accurate description and decide for yourself.

I know ISFPs have deep values. Please share some more if you care. I would like to understand.

Ehm. He already did explain. Is it so bad the Joan was an S not an N?
Does that make what she did "less" great? Because no offense intended but you see to be looking for selective evidence for your view point and not looking at the rest.

Was that a seriouss statement?

I have read In several places she was an ISFP.
Never seen INFP once. I am quite the fan Of Kiersey myself.. so I wonder how I missed that.

In general, not everyone who has done something is an N..

And just because you relate to something in someone, doesn't mean you must be the same type.

This really has to stop. :yes:

:yes:

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Ehm. He already did explain. Is it so bad the Joan was an S not an N?
Does that make what she did "less" great? Because no offense intended but you see to be looking for selective evidence for your view point and not looking at the rest.

My viewpoint has nothing to do with this, I repeat, everytime I've seen Joan of Arc cited as an example in MBTI typology (books and official typology documents, not forum threads), she was associated with the Idealist temperament. Sorry for missing out on her being SP. This thread is the very first place I see her classified as such.

I am not saying it would make her less great. Just that Quinlan found the previous arguments silly and unsatisfactory. I tried to give detailed evidence, that's all.

To Arclight:

From Keirsey's Please understand me (first edition):

"INFPs have a profound sense of honor derived from internal values. The INFP is the Prince or Princess of mythology, the King's Champion, Defender of the Faith, and guardian of the castle. Sir Galahad and Joan of Arc are male and female prototypes of an INFP. To understand INFPs their cause must be understood, for they are willing to make unusual sacrifices for someone or something believed in."

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Based on her drive + revolutionary actions + mystical "connections" + female + leadership + "witch-like" end + idealistic views, I'd say INFJ. I think she's too "crazy" to be INFP.

..with insufficient facts of course.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2

???

Joan was illiterate because most people were in her place and time, not because she had poor intellectual skills or something. I doubt there was any elementary or high school in the 1420s Domrémy.

The fact that she was so lucid when arguing with clergy and had such a clear understanding of theology without an education seems to point out to her intuition.