User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Wall Street

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default Wall Street

I saw this movie for the first time today! It was really good.
    Thoughts on the main characters?

Bud Fox (Charlie Sheen): ESTP (ISTP?)
    Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas): ENTJ
    Carl Fox (Martin Sheen): ISTJ (ISFJ?)
    Darien Taylor (Daryl Hannah): ISTP (ISFP?, ESFP?)
    Last edited by Mondo; 07-23-2010 at 10:14 AM.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    EII

I only agree on Gordon Gekko.

Gordon Gekko - ENTJ (Yes, Gordon Gekko is essentially a walking ENTJ stereotype.)
    Bud Fox - INTJ (ENTJ is a possibility, but he appears nervous rather than energized in major social situations - if he is an extrovert, he's a shy one, making introversion more likely. Additionally, he displays Te and Fi rather than Ti and Fe. His Ni also strikes me as far too strong to be inferior, both of these facts eliminating ESTP as an option.)
    Carl Fox: ISFJ (How is Carl a thinker or an extrovert in any way, shape, or form? He's a rather blatant feeler, and is not a very sociable sort. Fe or Fi is the question, as he displays both to a very strong degree. However, his Si seems stronger than his Se, thus ISFJ.)
    Darien Taylor: ESFP (She's very Fi, and ISFP would be my second guess, but she isn't shown to require periods of social downtime or to be socially nervous in any manner. Se-Fi seems to fit her quite well, thus ESFP.)

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Saxon View Post
    I only agree on Gordon Gekko.

Gordon Gekko - ENTJ (Yes, Gordon Gekko is essentially a walking ENTJ stereotype.)
    Bud Fox - INTJ (ENTJ is a possibility, but he appears nervous rather than energized in major social situations - if he is an extrovert, he's a shy one, making introversion more likely. Additionally, he displays Te and Fi rather than Ti and Fe. His Ni also strikes me as far too strong to be inferior, both of these facts eliminating ESTP as an option.)
    Carl Fox: ISFJ (How is Carl a thinker or an extrovert in any way, shape, or form? He's a rather blatant feeler, and is not a very sociable sort. Fe or Fi is the question, as he displays both to a very strong degree. However, his Si seems stronger than his Se, thus ISFJ.)
    Darien Taylor: ESFP (She's very Fi, and ISFP would be my second guess, but she isn't shown to require periods of social downtime or to be socially nervous in any manner. Se-Fi seems to fit her quite well, thus ESFP.)

Yes, Gordon Gekko is a definite ENTJ. :evil:

My reason for thinking Bud Fox is an ESTP is because his Se seems very strong.. possibly ISTP then. His Se (wanting short-term rewards) was what got him in this mess in the first place. However, I agree that he doesn't have inferior Ni- so yea.. ISTP probably makes the most sense.

I'd type Carl as a Thinker because he does things based on principle- which is a T thing to do. I found Te to be a strong function for him. I guess I could see ISTJ or even ISFJ though. He's quick verbally which is a reason why I'm leaning more towards E. A reason for his lack of sociability could be because he's a T and not an F. He wasn't nice or accommodating at all when dealing with people but did what he felt was the smartest thing to do.. that's why I'm thinking ESTJ or ISTJ. However, as I think about it- I'm leaning towards ISTJ and will edit my OP.

Darien, I originally was thinking her Fi was stronger than her Ti but I guess it matters by why she chose to stick with Gekko in the end. If she felt that it was more logical to be on Gekko's side, she would have stronger Ti.. if it was moreso because she loved him more than Bud- then Fi. Some Extraverts are socially nervous and some Introverts aren't socially nervous- so that's not really a strong reason to decide between E or I. Also I didn't really see her in situations with large groups at all- so that makes it difficult.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    I'd type Carl as a Thinker because he does things based on principle- which is a T thing to do.
    Are you high or something? Acting on principle is an F trait to the core; Thinkers by comparison act on logic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Are you high or something? Acting on principle is an F trait to the core; Thinkers by comparison act on logic.
    There's a big difference between "principle" and "value". Principles are typically based on logic while values are typically based on emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Ti acts on principles

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    There's a big difference between "principle" and "value". Principles are typically based on logic while values are typically based on emotion.

prin·ci·ple (prns-pl)
    n.
    1. A basic truth, law, or assumption: the principles of democracy.
    a. A rule or standard, especially of good behavior: a man of principle. "he will not violate his principles"
    b. The collectivity of moral or ethical standards or judgments: a decision based on principle rather than expediency.
    3. A fixed or predetermined policy or mode of action.
    4. A basic or essential quality or element determining intrinsic nature or characteristic behavior: the principle of self-preservation.
    5. A rule or law concerning the functioning of natural phenomena or mechanical processes: the principle of jet propulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    prin·ci·ple (prns-pl)
    n.
    1. A basic truth, law, or assumption: the principles of democracy.
    a. A rule or standard, especially of good behavior: a man of principle. "he will not violate his principles"
    b. The collectivity of moral or ethical standards or judgments: a decision based on principle rather than expediency.
    3. A fixed or predetermined policy or mode of action.
    4. A basic or essential quality or element determining intrinsic nature or characteristic behavior: the principle of self-preservation.
    5. A rule or law concerning the functioning of natural phenomena or mechanical processes: the principle of jet propulsion.
    The actual English language definitions of terms are not equivalent with their definitions in the context of MBTI. For example, the definition of extrovert is not the same in the dictionary as it is within MBTI. Just for the record.

Ginkgo

WEEE CONFUSION!

This is when hair-splitting about MBTI can become quite muddled. The fact is that people generally have different conceptions about the context of these kinds of words. And, likewise, people think they have seen these functions within different contexts of behavior. This creates a disconnect when people communicate about them.

I see Ti as a function that categorizes. It coins symbols. These symbols are best described as archetypes or models. I don't think "principles" is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    WEEE CONFUSION!

This is when hair-splitting about MBTI can become quite muddled. The fact is that people generally have different conceptions about the context of these kinds of words. And, likewise, people think they have seen these functions within different contexts of behavior. This creates a disconnect when people communicate about them.

I see Ti as a function that categorizes. It coins symbols. These symbols are best described as archetypes or models. I don't think "principles" is correct.
    Te is the function that "categorizes" as far as my understanding of the word "categorize"

It makes sense to associate the word "model" with Ti, but certainly not the word "symbols" or "archetypes."