• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dune

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm reading that boog again, I'm at the half, this is my guessing so far.

Atreides
Paul/Muad'Dib: INTJ 5w6
Duke Leto Atreides: ISTJ 8w9
Jessica Atreides: INFJ 2w1
Gurney Halleck: ESTP 7w8 Sp/So
Thufir Hawat: INTP 6w5
Duncan Idaho: INTJ
Hueh: INTP

Harkonnen
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen: ESTJ 8w7, maybe ENTJ
Pieter: ENTP 7w6, maybe ENFP
Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen: ISTP 8w7
Rabban: ISTP

Fremen
Stilgar: ENFJ 8w9
Chani: ISFJ
Harrah: xSFJ
Liet Kynes: INTP 5w6

Imperium
Emperor Padishah Shaddam IV: ISTJ, maybe INFJ
Princess Irulan: ISFJ, maybe INFJ

Bonus
Frank Herbert: ENTJ

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Years since I've read this, and I don't remember the minor characters so well. There seems to be some good typing on the ones I do remember though; I'm pretty happy with what you've given for all the major characters. Herbert himself though, a definite Ne dominant, very unlikely to be ENTJ in my view. Probably ENTP rather than ENFP, but with fairly balanced T/F in any case.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Years since I've read this, and I don't remember the minor characters so well. There seems to be some good typing on the ones I do remember though; I'm pretty happy with what you've given for all the major characters. Herbert himself though, a definite Ne dominant, very unlikely to be ENTJ in my view. Probably ENTP rather than ENFP, but with fairly balanced T/F in any case.

Dynamiteninja type Frank Herbert as ENTJ here, and I'm quite agree with that http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-type/25454-dn-s-author-type-list-vi.html. He would actually be more an Ni user than an Ne user, and I really find Te with him, I think he was a planner, concerned with authorithy, etc.;)

KDude

Pretty much agree on the types.

In the books though, Duncan is much more laid back than INTJ. I'd say ISxP. Goes without mentioning that he lives and dies about a thousand times, and is a little bit of everything.

Lark

I reckon that there'd be more E than I in most of the characters, although its well typed pretty much.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Dynamiteninja type Frank Herbert as ENTJ here, and I'm quite agree with that http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-type/25454-dn-s-author-type-list-vi.html. He would actually be more an Ni user than an Ne user, and I really find Te with him, I think he was a planner, concerned with authorithy, etc.;)

A lot of DN's types don't work at all ;) this is one of them. Try looking into his personality and motivations for writing as he did a bit more deeply, you'll likely find he comes across as very Ne dominant. I may dig up some quotes to back this up actually. He's an unlikely J type in my view.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pretty much agree on the types.

In the books though, Duncan is much more laid back than INTJ. I'd say ISxP. Goes without mentioning that he lives and dies about a thousand times, and is a little bit of everything.

Duncan is not very present in the first novel... But in the 1992 video game, he's clearly INTJ. Maybe he looks ISxP in the book because he's drunk at one moment.

I reckon that there'd be more E than I in most of the characters, although its well typed pretty much.

Why do you think that?

A lot of DN's types don't work at all this is one of them. Try looking into his personality and motivations for writing as he did a bit more deeply, you'll likely find he comes across as very Ne dominant. I may dig up some quotes to back this up actually. He's an unlikely J type in my view.

I don't really now his life, and you seem more knowledgable than me, so I guess I can trust you for that.:D

KDude

Duncan is not very present in the first novel... But in the 1992 video game, he's clearly INTJ. Maybe he looks ISxP in the book because he's drunk at one moment.

But the next 6..7..9?...Basically for the entire rest of the series, Duncan is kind of the main character and hero type of character. Leto II is ENTJ-ish and Duncan is far different.

The INTJ Duncan in the earlier part of the story is a Mentat clone :glasses:

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Some Herbert quotes I've found. Many from his books, but as his books appear to represent a working out of his personal philosophy and many of these are written in the narrator's voice, not a character's they're worth bearing in mind as likely to point to his own thinking. I've selected the ones that appear to point particularly to Ne dominant thinking, many of them specifically to NeTi.

There's a definite sense much of the time of him actually rather distrusting the Ti process even as he agknowledges its importance and hold over him (which he also projects on to others, he tends to take the natural state of human affairs from his understanding of himself, and predicts chaos and uncertainty with a need for logical order which may act as a barrier to the kind of understanding he prefers). This is very ENTP reasoning, I think.

A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.
Very P thinking.

Truth is subject to too much analysis.

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Ne acting in its most mystical sense, triumphing over the categorising pull of Ti logical framework building.

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Ready comprehension is often a knee-jerk response and the most dangerous form of understanding. It blinks an opaque screen over your ablility to learn. The judgemental precedents of law function that way, littering your path with dead ends. Be warned. Understand nothing. All comprehension is temporary.
A very strong argument for perception and against judging ;)

Bureaucracy destroys initiative.

Peace for any prolonged period of time is impossible. Humans have a natural thirst for chaos and war is the most readily available form of chaos.