First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    i really dont understand why are people bothered by her whining about herself.. it's personal journal.. never had diary or anything, but i am pretty sure everybody whines in his/her diary about her/himself 95% of the time, this person only decided to publish it because she knows how to write..like the rest of us dont do the same thing in our heads. :/
    it's one thing to whine and moan to yourself, but it's another when you know that everyone and their mom is going to read it. i feel like a writer has the responsibility to be aware of her audience, and i don't think gilbert was. i wouldn't want everyone to read my diary because i write about the things that perplex me, bother me, upset me - things i need to figure out. i don't write in so much depth about the wonderful things because i know and appreciate and understand them. it makes you seem very unbalanced - and it seemed like gilbert didn't have much of an appreciation of how much life had given her beforehand, and it seemed like everything just fell magically into place with her. it was like her life was scripted by a romantic comedy writer. everything is terrible (except it wasn't), so you run away to find yourself (or get paid a ton to come up with something to write about), and in the meanwhile you meet the perfect man (cute and rich, of course).

my biggest complaint is that the whole book is not about italy, india, and bali. it's not about the people liz meets along the way, and it's not about places she explores. it's all about her. if it's going to be an autobiography, just write that on the cover.

just curious; why?
    haha wow. reading this 3 months later, no idea.

but there's no way i can do it
    sure there is! you just have to emphasize some things and deemphasize others. we don't always have to share all our angst with everyone, or you can word it in a way that is less of an emotional burden. you can also talk about your issues in ways that relate to others. what do we take away from this book? not much, really. i'm happy for liz that things worked out but i don't really take much away from it personally.

And for all of her self-realization and navel-gazing to end her dependence on men, Ms Gilbert has, as pointed out by anotherAmazon reviewer, married her Brazilian and moved to new Jersey. She could have saved Penguin Books a whole lot of money by getting in her car and going through the Lincoln Tunnel. I wonder how long before she ends up back on the bathroom floor.
    FOR REAL.

she sees the world, but fails to see the world. it's extraordinary.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i'd say my best guess is estj 1w2 so/sx. her energy feels 1w2 for me. she qualifies what she says more than most enfps i know (who just reformulate more freely than fix what they have or try to specify within the framework of what they've already said), and there's a lot of forward energy pushing her, but it seems less experiential to me than Ne doms, less perceptual and more goal-driven.

the parallel's are interesting with estj 1w2s and enfp 7s. this woman is not a 7w6, and i think 1w2 makes more sense than an 8 wing. she seems more self-critical than aggressive angry.

MBTI
    INFJ

I think we're being hard on her book! I thought it was an amazing journey of a book. I love it when authors can beautifully render a transition from a hard, limited, suffering life to something more alive, colorful, and authentic. What do you all think of Wally Lamb's and Alice Walker's The Color Purple? They follow this trajectory... and incidentally are both Oprah books Gotta give 'em hope, right?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by mochajava View Post
    I think we're being hard on her book! I thought it was an amazing journey of a book. I love it when authors can beautifully render a transition from a hard, limited, suffering life to something more alive, colorful, and authentic.
    I haven't read the book. But if it's anything at all like the film, I won't even try. Two hours of my life wasted on a whiny princess who couldn't think for herself and needed everyone else to tell her what to do, think and feel.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    i'd say my best guess is estj 1w2 so/sx.
    estj who spent 4 months in ashram in India ? LOL

she is driven by self-search more than anything.. she analyzes every single thing that one can analyze about relationships.. search meaning in everything.. If she isnt N then really dont know who is...

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

I have mixed feelings about her, lol. Partly I agree with you, but sometimes I like her. Depends on a day... but it personally some parts of the book really were precious to me, because of the time I read it, I tried to read it 2yrs ago and hated her, lol, and then recently loved her.... now I am back at being more critical towards her. But not as much as you.

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i walked out of this movie.
    haha, me too!!!! and i overslept 30 minutes of it, other way I'd walk out much sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
    I haven't read the book. But if it's anything at all like the film, I won't even try. Two hours of my life wasted on a whiny princess who couldn't think for herself and needed everyone else to tell her what to do, think and feel.
    not sure are you talking about whoopi's character or that singer's? if its whoopi.. well, maybe you'd be even worse if you had her life conditions:/

i liked the color purple, kill me. If not for anything then for music, we Europeans dig church music you have there, lol.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    estj who spent 4 months in ashram in India ? LOL

she is driven by self-search more than anything..
    But again, her entire life leading up to this year sabbatical/'journey' seemed pretty distant from self-searching or even self awareness. In mbti terms, it's like the book was her trying to reach down into her less-used processes, you know? The book is basically documenting a shift in who she is and how she now wants to see the world and live her life. It's why I definitely thought she could be ESFJ in my original post. I really don't know that I see ESTJ - she seems so 'F' to me. But again, I never saw the 'P' or the 'N', really. I'm not opposed to ENFP, I just don't think it's a given and I'm not convinced of it either.

As for the ashram.. well in the book it wasn't easy for her by any means, nor natural. It was like a forced thing - she was trying to 'go there' but it really went against her grain and she fought it most of the way until the very end.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

I understand what you mean, maybe thats why i even liked the book - Her life until now was everything others expected from her, what culture expects, she had picture of good wife good woman good future mother - and tried automatically to be all that. This is why I think
    she's enneagram 3, i've seen it thousand times in e3s - in lesser proportions. Though she seems to have a part that looks 2: but definately identity/image type.

people seem to understand poorly to which extent can E3 become what he thinks culture wants him to be, without knowing - if she is estj she'd be happy to stay estj, not become nf-something in her journey..
    If it was about her function then someone could expect you will in crisis become STP for a year and claim you find happiness that way - I dont think that is likely to happen.

And her whole career as writer is not exactly filled with esxjs.. especially the way she did it - working in a bar while writing coyote ugly etc - I see a P; definately

Its nothing unusual for people to find themselves in early 30-ies. Or later. What about people who spend 5 yrs as monks, they leave it and become a rock stars (there is one case similar in croatia)? would you type him according to his quiet monk life ot his wild rock star life?! hes ESFP, like screaming ESFP, but because of family problems become a monk..

As for ashram I dont think ESTJ would even want to go there, not t mention her thoughts on life etc., and everybody has monkey mind in the beginning... of course she struggled - she lived in NYC fast paced life and suddenly ashram.

I'd struggle more probably and I am not SJ.