• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Phantom of the Opera characters

cfs1992

Phantom: INFx
Christine Daae: IxFx
Raoul: ESxx
Madame Giry: ExFJ
Meg Giry: ISFP
La Carlotta: ExFP

Any guesses?

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3

Any guesses?

Christine Daae seems like an INFP type.

Raoul , an ESFJ ? If he's ESFJ he would be more compatible with Christine.
Though die hard Phantom/Christine shippers might say ESTJ for Raoul :newwink:

Phantom a INXJ. Parts of me says he's a Feeler but considering he's willing to murder or torture anyone who gets in his way makes wanna say T.

We are talking about the musical right? I've seen the movies only though.

cfs1992

We can talk about both the musical and the book, the personality of the characters are the same, imo. :)

Yeah, the Phantom is a murderer, a cold one, I can say. But isn't all his crimes motivated by a burning passion than unemotional plans? He was very disturbed, what made him a psychopath with sick jealousy... INTJ can be considered due to the tertiary Fi, what can give him this passionate nature... but he's quite intense, isn't him?

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Yeah, the Phantom is a murderer, a cold one, I can say. But isn't all his crimes motivated by a burning passion than unemotional plans? He was very disturbed, what made him a psychopath with sick jealousy... INTJ can be considered due to the tertiary Fi, what can give him this passionate nature... but he's quite intense, isn't him?

Hence my confusion on his type :doh: :smile:

I almost said ISFP for Christine but Meg fits ISFP so much and Christine seems a bit more N. She has to face deeper stuff than Meg. The way she handles the Phantom is very much in the way a NF would. Even her songs seem NF.

cfs1992

I almost said ISFP for Christine but Meg fits ISFP so much and Christine seems a bit more N. She has to face deeper stuff than Meg. The way she handles the Phantom is very much in the way a NF would. Even her songs seem NF.

I agree...:yes:

Harold Saxon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Erik/The Phantom - mentally disturbed INFP (his F is clearly Fi, not Fe - he could be an INTJ with an overactive tertiary, but he also seems more Ne-Si than Ni-Se)
Christine - INFJ (Fe, not Fi, and she displays quite significant Ni in how she deals with the Phantom)
Raoul - ESFJ
Madame Giry - ESFJ
Meg - ISFP
Carlotta - ESFP

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Christine's approach with the Phantom seems a bit more Fe, at least from what I've seen in the movie version. Big conflict between believing, or wanting to believe he's doing something good for her in achieving her full musical potential, and yet knowing/sensing he's obsessive about her. Regarding the Phantom as her Angel of Music from what she's heard of his singing seems Ni to me. Could be an INFJ with well developed Fi too. I'd say either INFP or INFJ for her.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I can't see Phantom as anything other than INFx, and I would think INFP. (I haven't read the book, so I'm basing this on the musical). These are lyrics from Music of the Night :

Close your eyes for your eyes will only tell the truth
And the truth isn`t what you want to see.
In the dark it is easy to pretend
that the truth is what it ought to be.

Doesn't sound like much of an NT. :alttongue: (And the song as a whole seems to drip with Fi).

The same actions can come from different motivations, and motivations tell you the most about people. Murderers aren't necessarily unfeeling psychopaths. He was a dreamer and he'd imagined a future for himself in which he'd have ideal love and create beautiful music, and seemed desperate to make his dream a reality and end his suffering.
His desperation got to the point where he was willing to harm anyone who stood in his way.

I'm thinking Phantom is INFP, Christine is IxFJ. Raoul...ESFJ seems to fit. The other characters aren't that developed in the musical, so I won't try to type them.

T

ThatGirl

Any guesses?

Phantom: ENTP specially in the book. Dude created his whole underground labyrinth, and actually was fucked up by NOT being allowed around people. Despite this in his earlier days, wasn't he like a suave goon for hire?

Christine: INFJ

Raoul: ESTJ

The rest I could care less.

cfs1992

The same actions can come from different motivations, and motivations tell you the most about people. Murderers aren't necessarily unfeeling psychopaths. He was a dreamer and he'd imagined a future for himself in which he'd have ideal love and create beautiful music, and seemed desperate to make his dream a reality and end his suffering.
His desperation got to the point where he was willing to harm anyone who stood in his way.

I'm thinking Phantom is INFP, Christine is IxFJ. Raoul...ESFJ seems to fit. The other characters aren't that developed in the musical, so I won't try to type them.

I agree with your point of view and I can see the Phantom as an INFP (with serious mental problems). Christine is a contradiction, she acts in many ways during the story. She displays Fe, Fi, Ni, Ne and Si, what can make her either an INFP, INFJ or ISFJ. When I watched the movie for the first time, I firstly thought ISFP, but then I realized that her Se isn't very developed. But I can't see her too much as an ISFJ, she's very, very dreamy... If she was an S, she would be more realistic about the situation (like Meg, for example... she thinks that Christine's going crazy and worries about her...). So I think INFx (INFP or INFJ with a good Si)...

T

ThatGirl

I agree with your point of view and I can see the Phantom as an INFP (with serious mental problems). Christine is a contradiction, she acts in many ways during the story. She displays Fe, Fi, Ni, Ne and Si, what can make her either an INFP, INFJ or ISFJ. When I watched the movie for the first time, I firstly thought ISFP, but then I realized that her Se isn't very developed. But I can't see her too much as an ISFJ, she's very, very dreamy... If she was an S, she would be more realistic about the situation (like Meg, for example... she thinks that Christine's going crazy and worries about her...). So I think INFx (INFP or INFJ with a good Si)...

Her recognizing danger and empathizing, holding to her personal standard, and pursuing Raoul is very INFJ.

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Phantom: ENTP specially in the book. Dude created his whole underground labyrinth, and actually was fucked up by NOT being allowed around people. Despite this in his earlier days, wasn't he like a suave goon for hire?

Christine: INFJ

Raoul: ESTJ

The rest I could care less.

Non-musical Phantom is clearly an xNTP. It's the musical Phantom that gets a little blurry. Much more of a sadder back story so people would feel empathy.

I mean how can you sell disfigured goon & naive dreamy virgin ?

Harold Saxon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
I disagree. Even outside of the musical, the Phantom strikes me as INFP. Note that in all versions of the Phantom, the Leroux novel included, he displays a very strong and prominent Fi, rather than the Fe that NTPs have (INTPs admittedly to a near-irrelevant degree). ThatGirl, what you described was largely Ne in action. Ne is the auxiliary function of INFPs, and is far from exclusive to ENTPs. As for "suave goon for hire," no, even then he was always a loner. Most of his social interaction was one-on-one rather than in large groups.

May I ask, where do you see any Ti in him? I see none at all in any version - rather, I see extremely powerful Fi with small bits of Te, fitting for an NFP rather than an NTP. Do note that F does not mean and has never meant "nice." I'm going to break Godwin's Law here, but as a clear example of this, Adolf Hitler was a rather blatant NFJ (INFJ by my reckoning, though there is a good argument to be made for ENFJ).

T

ThatGirl

He wasn't a loner by choice, he was rejected from society, yet he still secured himself a place with in it rather than sinking to reclusion.

Harold Saxon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
He wasn't a loner by choice, he was rejected from society, yet he still secured himself a place with in it rather than sinking to reclusion.

Since when did introversion equate with reclusion? There is a marked difference. Introversion simply means not being energized by social interaction, but rather being drained by it. He is not shown to be energized by such, but rather is made nervous by it. His only significant interaction is with the Shah of Persia.

And again, you fail to provide any example of Ti. He consistently shows strong Fi in every depiction of him, something that the vast majority of ENTPs and INTPs show none of, but something that is the INFP dominant function. By contrast, he appears to show no Ti in any depiction, Ti being the INTP dominant function and the ENTP auxiliary one. This granted, NFP is far more likely than NTP, and INFP itself more likely than ENFP.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I saw Phantom of the Opera recently.
I think the Phantom is an INFJ-a reclusive and lovestruck micromanager.
He was a control freak in ways INFP's typically aren't but INFJ's are very much so.
If he was an Extravert, he wouldn't have been so clandestine. I'm willing to consider any of the INXX types though to be honest- but leaning more towards F and slightly towards J.

cfs1992

I saw Phantom of the Opera recently.
I think the Phantom is an INFJ-a reclusive and lovestruck micromanager.
He was a control freak in ways INFP's typically aren't but INFJ's are very much so.
If he was an Extravert, he wouldn't have been so clandestine. I'm willing to consider any of the INXX types though to be honest- but leaning more towards F and slightly towards J.

Yes, he was a control freak, but I think it's a manifestation of a inferior Te. I just can't see Fe in his personality, he was very egocentric, IMO, he didn't seems to care about the happiness or welfare of others, but his own, what is a indicator of Fi. He wasn't the "good" INFP, but a psychopath one, what make him this possessive, overly passionate, obsessive and dangerous person.

dancingqueen16

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I still think the Phantom is an INTJ. He's very Ni. But he's mentally deranged, right? It's impossible to type him, then. He's filled with hate and animosity.
Christine is pretty much a stereotypical INFP, and Raoul is an ISFJ in the novel, but some sort of ESTP/ESTJ in the musical. He's made to look like a jerk who only cares about money and not Christine, while in the novel he's a shy and awkward girlish guy.

S

Sniffles

If I had to render a guess, the Phantom is INTJ.

lon-chaney-phantom.jpg

Must be that look in his eyes.