• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Phantom of the Opera characters

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know, it makes me sad to say this because the Phantom of the Opera is my absolute favourite musical ever; I was so obsessed and crazy about it as a tween/teenager (for 5 straight years I listened to the CD to the whole musical and a few years later when I finally got to watch it live I could sing along to everything because I knew it all by heart), but now that I'm looking at the story as an older person(of both the book and the musical) i see it very differently...and not in a good way.

Christine is one very credulous girl and it never seems to occur to her how her dead father could simply exist and talk to her in a form of a ghost. She's extremely naive and manipulable, but that can be due to her being very young and desperate for a source of security, stability, love and adult guidance. The Phantom recognized this need in her and wasted no time grabbing that opportunity and manipulating the situation for his own advantage. These people are put in extraordinary circumstances, so it's really hard to just pinpoint and say, "they do this under this situation, which shows this cognitive function, therefore they're this XXXX type." I think where I'm trying to go with this is that there are a lot more variables than CF or type; ten plus years ago when I was still a tween obsessing over this story, I would get all dreamy and put myself in the place of Christine and fantasize about what it's like to be her and I would feel so bad for the Phantom that I would probably choose him over Raoul, but now that I'm an adult I can see what a right hot mess this situation is and I wouldn't touch it with a ten metre pole, but I've always been the same MBTI type.

Btw they're coming to Singapore in June and I totes got the tickets to go see the show! *excited*

purplelady

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I agree. Based on this description of INFP: "Idealistic, loyal to their values and to people who are important to them...Seek to understand people and to help them fulfill their potential." At least when it comes to Christine, the Phantom is obviously interested in helping her fulfill her full potential as a singer. INFP's are also known for being passionate and creative. "When something captures INFPs' imagination and speaks to their beliefs, they go all in, dedicating their time, energy, thoughts and emotions to the project." A good example of this particular trait in the novel is when the Phantom tells Christine that he will sometimes spend days working on Don Juan, even foregoing eating and sleeping. If that's not dedication, I don't know what is! ;) They are also notoriously difficult to get to know, need I say more?