User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phantom of the Opera characters

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by cfs1992 View Post
    I agree with your point of view and I can see the Phantom as an INFP (with serious mental problems). Christine is a contradiction, she acts in many ways during the story. She displays Fe, Fi, Ni, Ne and Si, what can make her either an INFP, INFJ or ISFJ. When I watched the movie for the first time, I firstly thought ISFP, but then I realized that her Se isn't very developed. But I can't see her too much as an ISFJ, she's very, very dreamy... If she was an S, she would be more realistic about the situation (like Meg, for example... she thinks that Christine's going crazy and worries about her...). So I think INFx (INFP or INFJ with a good Si)...
    Her recognizing danger and empathizing, holding to her personal standard, and pursuing Raoul is very INFJ.

Senior Member Array chihuahuasrluv's Avatar
    MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    intj
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Phantom: ENTP specially in the book. Dude created his whole underground labyrinth, and actually was fucked up by NOT being allowed around people. Despite this in his earlier days, wasn't he like a suave goon for hire?

Christine: INFJ

Raoul: ESTJ

The rest I could care less.
    Non-musical Phantom is clearly an xNTP. It's the musical Phantom that gets a little blurry. Much more of a sadder back story so people would feel empathy.

I mean how can you sell disfigured goon & naive dreamy virgin ?

ThatGirl

Talent and capability. He was her tutor.

Senior Member Array Harold Saxon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    EII
    Post Thanks / Like

I disagree. Even outside of the musical, the Phantom strikes me as INFP. Note that in all versions of the Phantom, the Leroux novel included, he displays a very strong and prominent Fi, rather than the Fe that NTPs have (INTPs admittedly to a near-irrelevant degree). ThatGirl, what you described was largely Ne in action. Ne is the auxiliary function of INFPs, and is far from exclusive to ENTPs. As for "suave goon for hire," no, even then he was always a loner. Most of his social interaction was one-on-one rather than in large groups.

May I ask, where do you see any Ti in him? I see none at all in any version - rather, I see extremely powerful Fi with small bits of Te, fitting for an NFP rather than an NTP. Do note that F does not mean and has never meant "nice." I'm going to break Godwin's Law here, but as a clear example of this, Adolf Hitler was a rather blatant NFJ (INFJ by my reckoning, though there is a good argument to be made for ENFJ).

ThatGirl

He wasn't a loner by choice, he was rejected from society, yet he still secured himself a place with in it rather than sinking to reclusion.

Senior Member Array Harold Saxon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    EII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    He wasn't a loner by choice, he was rejected from society, yet he still secured himself a place with in it rather than sinking to reclusion.
    Since when did introversion equate with reclusion? There is a marked difference. Introversion simply means not being energized by social interaction, but rather being drained by it. He is not shown to be energized by such, but rather is made nervous by it. His only significant interaction is with the Shah of Persia.

And again, you fail to provide any example of Ti. He consistently shows strong Fi in every depiction of him, something that the vast majority of ENTPs and INTPs show none of, but something that is the INFP dominant function. By contrast, he appears to show no Ti in any depiction, Ti being the INTP dominant function and the ENTP auxiliary one. This granted, NFP is far more likely than NTP, and INFP itself more likely than ENFP.

Welcome to Sunnyside Array Mondo's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw Phantom of the Opera recently.
    I think the Phantom is an INFJ-a reclusive and lovestruck micromanager.
    He was a control freak in ways INFP's typically aren't but INFJ's are very much so.
    If he was an Extravert, he wouldn't have been so clandestine. I'm willing to consider any of the INXX types though to be honest- but leaning more towards F and slightly towards J.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

Senior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    I saw Phantom of the Opera recently.
    I think the Phantom is an INFJ-a reclusive and lovestruck micromanager.
    He was a control freak in ways INFP's typically aren't but INFJ's are very much so.
    If he was an Extravert, he wouldn't have been so clandestine. I'm willing to consider any of the INXX types though to be honest- but leaning more towards F and slightly towards J.
    Yes, he was a control freak, but I think it's a manifestation of a inferior Te. I just can't see Fe in his personality, he was very egocentric, IMO, he didn't seems to care about the happiness or welfare of others, but his own, what is a indicator of Fi. He wasn't the "good" INFP, but a psychopath one, what make him this possessive, overly passionate, obsessive and dangerous person.

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Post Thanks / Like

I still think the Phantom is an INTJ. He's very Ni. But he's mentally deranged, right? It's impossible to type him, then. He's filled with hate and animosity.
    Christine is pretty much a stereotypical INFP, and Raoul is an ISFJ in the novel, but some sort of ESTP/ESTJ in the musical. He's made to look like a jerk who only cares about money and not Christine, while in the novel he's a shy and awkward girlish guy.

Sniffles

If I had to render a guess, the Phantom is INTJ.

Must be that look in his eyes.