User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 272

  1. #151
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    How in God's name are Bart and Homer introverted?
    Homer is introverted because most of the time he usually likes to sit on the couch, watch football or anything else on TV, skip church, sleep at work, etc. Even when he goes to the bar, he only hangs out with a couple of people (Moe, Barney are the most prominent). Introvert all the way. He doesn't seem to even be a people-person. I don't know how one can call him an extrovert. Just think about it.

    Bart hates the rules of school, usually gets into trouble, and likes doing daredevil stunts on his skateboard. He just doesn't seem to be a people person either. His only close friend is really Milhouse. ISTP.

  2. #152
    Senior Member VagrantFarce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Homer is introverted because most of the time he usually likes to sit on the couch, watch football or anything else on TV, skip church, sleep at work, etc. Even when he goes to the bar, he only hangs out with a couple of people (Moe, Barney are the most prominent). Introvert all the way. He doesn't seem to even be a people-person. I don't know how one can call him an extrovert. Just think about it.
    He's loud, boisterous, often loves being the center of attention (how many times have you heard him say "look at me!" in a crowded room), he rarely thinks about what he does before doing it, he often throws himself into situations that he regrets later...he's pure extrovert! Those moments in which he keeps to himself are rare at best. Extroverted people need time to rest as well, just because he watches TV and skips church doesn't mean he's introverted at all.

    Bart hates the rules of school, usually gets into trouble, and likes doing daredevil stunts on his skateboard. He just doesn't seem to be a people person either. His only close friend is really Milhouse. ISTP.
    He's the class-clown. He's always making wise-cracks in class, he again loves being the center of attention (you mention he does daredevil stunts on his skateboard, you fail to mention that he also does them with the entire child population of springfield watching him while he wears a mask and cape). Again, how many times have you heard him say "watch this lisa!" When Martin gets an ear-ring, he pathetically tries to get everyone's attention by doing his bartman dance. You could probably find a few good examples every episode of his extraverted nature. How is it at all introverted to want to constantly impress everyone at every possible opportunity?

    [edit]: as an addendum, the characters having a small number of main friends is simply a device of story-telling; if you throw too many characters into the mix, none of them will become well-defined. Fictional Characters often have very specific "best friend" supporting characters that can be recycled over and over again as needed, creating an obvious bond.

  3. #153
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    He's loud, boisterous, often loves being the center of attention (how many times have you heard him say "look at me!" in a crowded room), he rarely thinks about what he does before doing it, he often throws himself into situations that he regrets later...he's pure extrovert! Those moments in which he keeps to himself are rare at best. Extroverted people need time to rest as well, just because he watches TV and skips church doesn't mean he's introverted at all.
    They're not that rare at all, especially in the early prime years of the Simpsons. When he has a choice of what to do, he generally chooses to sit, relax in front of the TV, and he professes his love for it. He doesn't really love being the center of attention. Often, he unintentionally makes a fool of himself, and becomes the center of attention. A perfect example is the episode 'My Sister, My Sitter' where he is caught in the water fountain area, and everyone's pointing and laughing at him, and he feels terribly embarrassed and wants to hide. He's bad at small talk, he prefers to spend time alone. He's an introvert, he's just perceived as extroverted by casual fans.


    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    He's the class-clown. He's always making wise-cracks in class, he again loves being the center of attention (you mention he does daredevil stunts on his skateboard, you fail to mention that he also does them with the entire child population of springfield watching him while he wears a mask and cape). Again, how many times have you heard him say "watch this lisa!" When Martin gets an ear-ring, he pathetically tries to get everyone's attention by doing his bartman dance. You could probably find a few good examples every episode of his extraverted nature. How is it at all introverted to want to constantly impress everyone at every possible opportunity?
    You have a greater point on the Bart argument, he's almost borderline I/E.

  4. #154
    Senior Member VagrantFarce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    They're not that rare at all, especially in the early prime years of the Simpsons. When he has a choice of what to do, he generally chooses to sit, relax in front of the TV, and he professes his love for it. He doesn't really love being the center of attention. Often, he unintentionally makes a fool of himself, and becomes the center of attention. A perfect example is the episode 'My Sister, My Sitter' where he is caught in the water fountain area, and everyone's pointing and laughing at him, and he feels terribly embarrassed and wants to hide. He's bad at small talk, he prefers to spend time alone. He's an introvert, he's just perceived as extroverted by casual fans.
    He likes sitting in front of the TV because he's lazy, he sleeps at work because he hates it and he's lazy, he doesn't go to church because it bores him. Now compare those to the thousands of new jobs, new schemes, new plans that he gleefully throws himself into every week without abandon or pre-meditation (and then constantly regretting it later when it doesn't work out). He's easily the most impulsive character on the show, I find it hard to accept that his dominant function is introverted in the slightest. Dominant-extroverted people can get embarassed as well, by the way.

  5. #155
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    He likes sitting in front of the TV because he's lazy, he sleeps at work because he hates it and he's lazy, he doesn't go to church because it bores him. Now compare those to the thousands of new jobs, new schemes, new plans that he gleefully throws himself into every week without abandon or pre-meditation (and then constantly regretting it later when it doesn't work out). He's easily the most impulsive character on the show, I find it hard to accept that his dominant function is introverted in the slightest. Dominant-extroverted people can get embarassed as well, by the way.
    Those plans/schemes don't involve other people though. He's just trying to have fun and get a thrill. He doesn't want to make friends or talk with people or anything like that. Extroverts generally like to talk to others, but Homer doesn't.

    All this has made me want to watch the Simpsons. I think I'll watch an episode right now. I'm watching episode 1002 - The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace. The episode focuses on Homer, I'll see what I feel about his type after I watch it.

  6. #156
    Senior Member VagrantFarce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Those plans/schemes don't involve other people though. He's just trying to have fun and get a thrill. He doesn't want to make friends or talk with people or anything like that. Extroverts generally like to talk to others, but Homer doesn't.
    Extraversion/Introversion isn't about wanting to talk to people or not (although Homer has no problem doing that at all since he's the loudest character on the show), it's all about external activity vs. internal contemplation. Here's the classic distinction between the two:

    Extraversion: acting before contemplating
    Introversion: contemplating before acting

    Homer is waaay too impulsive and "turned on" to external activity to be introverted, IMO. He's always doing something and then realising the consequences at a later date, i.e. acting before contemplating. The opposite to this would be Marge, who's signature "hrmmm" is the complete opposite of Homer's rash impulsiveness.

  7. #157
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Light from Death Note is a total INTJ or that's what I beleived

  8. #158
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    All this has made me want to watch the Simpsons. I think I'll watch an episode right now. I'm watching episode 1002 - The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace. The episode focuses on Homer, I'll see what I feel about his type after I watch it.
    The episode didn't really help me make up my mind much about him, I'm still leaning towards ISFP. However, it has convinced me that Bart is ESTP (Lisa's complete opposite type).

  9. #159
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Homer is introverted because most of the time he usually likes to sit on the couch, watch football or anything else on TV, skip church, sleep at work, etc.
    You confound introversion and apathy, the way wich Homer react to some factuals stimuli are typically extroverted sensors. And Bart is a ESTP, not an ISTP, he've Fe in tertiay function and Ni in inferior, not the contrary, elsewhere, Lisa is INFJ, so there's conflict, and Marge is ISFJ, so there's supervision (largely more than with lisa).

  10. #160
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Alright, makes sense.

    Homer - ESFP
    Marge - ISFJ
    Bart - ESTP
    Lisa - INFJ

Similar Threads

  1. Fictional detectives & MBTI types?
    By alcea rosea in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 03-21-2016, 08:15 AM
  2. Fictional Characters for each MBTI type
    By wolfnara in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-26-2015, 07:39 AM
  3. Fictional Characters MBTI Types
    By Abbey in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2013, 11:35 PM
  4. Fictional characters that perfectly display an MBTI type.
    By Illmatic in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 03:19 AM
  5. Some fictional character's types
    By sam988 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-26-2008, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO