• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Music Stereotypes

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESTJ : Manager, music executive

ENFP : Disney pop, indie, psychedelic, raver

My INTJ husband is way more into happy pop music than I am. I have a hard time with the label "indie" because there are so many different kinds of music that happen to be under independent record labels. I do like a good psychedelic vibe, but more than anything I like my music RAW! From the nastiest hip hop to Thom Yorke screaming and freaking out to Wilco speaking the truth about life and making the guitar sing. I know these are just stereotypes, and I do enjoy the idea. Just responding to what's relevant to me :)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

My INTJ husband is way more into happy pop music than I am. I have a hard time with the label "indie" because there are so many different kinds of music that happen to be under independent record labels.

Indie is a terrible name, because it has nothing to do with being independent. It merely means "contemporary rock-ish music." it really has nothing to do with independent, as people who have signed to major labels are often called "independent."

It's about as useless of a word as "alternative." It's not really clear what "alternative" is even the alternative to anymore. Nickelback? Classic rock? Then why not just call it rock?

I think my music choices are very Ne/Fe. They're either very bizarre, or emotionally rich. Sometimes both.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's about as useless of a word as "alternative." It's not really clear what "alternative" is even the alternative to anymore. Nickelback? Classic rock? Then why not just call it rock?

I think my music choices are very Ne/Fe. They're either very bizarre, or emotionally rich. Sometimes both.

If it is called alternative rock, it is most likely to be rock that doesn't stay in the confines of what people consider stereotypical rock. If alternative rock gets to mainstream, it is no longer considered alternative rock. Alternative itself as a label, well, that is a very general label. I would assume alternative music stays away from popular trends (many of today's music have electronic elements in them.)

Or rather, alternative is a label that isn't a stereotypical genre of that label. A familiar term would probably be underground, but a popular groups song wouldn't necessarily be called underground any longer if they were more well known.

Example: Political Rap/Hip-Hop would probably be more "alternative" than gangsta rap mostly because gangsta rap is mainstream. Political Rap is more likely to be both "alternative" AND "underground" because it isn't as listened to. Bad example, but Flobots (especially when you listen to Jonny 5) doesn't have as big as a following as someone like... you know.. [insert gangsta rapper here.]

Example: Tupac:Mainstream Gangsta Rap/Hip-Hop

Example: Jonny 5:Alternative Political Rap/Hip-Hop

Example: Flobots: Alternative Political Rap/Hip-Hop

Therefore, you can say Tupic is mainstream rap/hip-hop(even today as many songs are influenced in his type of genre) while Flobots is more alternative because it isn't playing the more mainstream parts of rap/hip-hop.

I can drink artists' like Jonny 5, I can't seem to do the same with artists that are more like Tupac (as popular as him and his genre seems)

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That reminds me, there are quite a few genres I tend to go to.

Rap and Hip-Hop (depends on what kind of rap/hip-hop... if it sounds like gangsta rap/hip-hop, I won't touch it with a 10ft pole)
Hard Rock and Metal
Trance and Techno
Pop, mostly because of how funny it has become (for the lols.)
International music (I actually got a list of songs in Japanese, Spanish, Korean, and French.) Most of them are Rock or R&B.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My taste is mostly ESFP...

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISTJ : Jazz, tour accountant
ESFJ : Soft rock, christian rock, R&B
ISFJ : Singer-songwriter, soft rock
ESTP : Rockstar, gangster rapper, DJ
ISTP : Math rock, punk, jazz, metalhead
ESFP : Dance-pop, rockstar, raver, DJ
ISFP : Singer-songerwriter, folk, indie, hippie
ENTJ : CEO, prog rock
INTJ : Classical, minimal techno, kraut rock
ENTP : Experimental, drum n bass, prog rock
INTP : Experimental, Electronica/IDM, indie, prog rock
ENFJ : U2 style rock, arena rock, R&B, promoter
INFJ : Singer-songwriter, indie
INFP : Emo rock, singer-songwriter, folk, indie, goth

The bolded fit the types of music I listen to/write. Especially INTP and ENTP.

Dawd

MBTI Type
IxxP
Enneagram
5/9
I agree.

I'm likely an INTP, and I mostly listen to Metal (Yngwie, In Flames, Lamb of God, etc.), and Classical/Baroque/similar stuff (Bach, Vivaldi, Saint Saens, Dvorak, etc.)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm a mix of ENFP, ESFP, and ESFJ. Surprise!

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I am every type. Every type is me.

Felix5

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I really enjoy classical music and traditional folk music (I do not include Bob Dylan as a folk musician). When I get into a genre, I tend to really get into it. My itunes library is highly categorized and organized.

I also really enjoy alternative rock, specifically 80s and 90s college rock.

Everything else I can take or leave.