• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Music Stereotypes

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
'INFP : Emo rock, singer-songwriter, folk, indie, goth'

That's freakishly accurate for me.

Matt_s

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is more, "what I'd listen to if I woke up in the morning another type but with my music collection" (I don't think that thread exists). I don't own and don't like Wagner all that much but I couldn't think of anything. I imagine INFP is as easy for everyone else as it is for me.

ESTJ : Frank Sinatra
ISTJ : Vladimir Horowitz
ESFJ : Queen
ISFJ : Oscar Peterson
ESTP : Lily Allen
ISTP : Credence Clearwater Revival
ESFP : Parliament/Funkadelic
ISFP : Lucinda Williams
ENTJ : Wagner? (I had the hardest time with this one)
INTJ : Bach
ENTP : Gnarls Barkley
INTP : Stan Kenton
ENFJ : Brian Wilson
INFJ : John Coltrane
ENFP : The Beatles
INFP : Nick Drake

Ghostwheel

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Five
INTJ : Bach

You are wise in the ways of music ... and MBTIing.

If you were an INTJ, you might very well fix upon Bach, as I have many times. Bach is both mystical and orderly in the extreme, a musical combination that is tirelessly appealing to me.

Sorry ... that's a pretty feeble explanation, isn't it? Oh well. I do think you got that one right, at least to the extent you can hope to match a musical archetype or composer/performer with MBTI

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I want to tell you something: this is stupid!
If you are a music lover, you are a music lover. It has nothing to do with MBTI.
I'm an ENFP and you know what? I do not like Disney pop. 'Indie'!? that is a fucking artificial genre, it doesn't mean anything, i even have problems understanding what you are talking about. Psychedelic - yes, to an extend...why? what do you mean? Raver? err....not particularly no
But then, other groups you mentioned:

Jazz - fuck yes! (and I'm not an ISTJ
Singer-songwriter - I guess. I mean, what is that as a category? that means nothing. you can have great singer songwriters and shit ones too.
Rock- yes! (and I'm not an ESTP, at all!)
Punk - yes! (and i'm not ISTP)
ISFP descriptions - all yes
Progressive rock - yes (and i'm not ENTJ)
minimal techno, kraut rock - yes! and i0m not INTJ
experimental - fuck yes! electronica - yes! indie - yes! prog rock - yes! .....am i an INTP? ABSOLUTELY NOT
singer-songwriter/indie -yes (still not an infj though!)
folk - yeah (but not an info!)

:rofl1: You're funny. Welcome. :hi:

Blanchard

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5W4
INTJ : Classical, minimal techno, kraut rock

Classical, ok, but minimal techno and kraut rock? No thanks, i am INTJ and i don´t like this music. I like the pure rock, the heavy or the gothic/symphony metal.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For every type with jazz listed and ENTP

Down beat pop should be added. [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXdwb_lUKvs&feature=related"][/YOUTUBE]

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
SJ: Classic music
SP: Pop music
NF: Idyllic music
NT: Progressive music

Chart-the-course: guitarist
In-Charge: lead singer, manager
Behind-the-scene: drummer, composer
Getting-things-going: dancer, singer

What the hell is 'idyllic music'?

scriabin221

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I agree on the Bach. I'm very into Bach. The keyboard music, especially. It's some of the most complex, interesting, and aesthetically appealing music there is. I would further say that Anything performed by Glenn Gould is very INTJ. It's idiosyncratic, intelligent, very clearly played. I would say that most modernist art music would be very interesting to an INTJ. Such Schoenberg. It's dark, but not overly emotional, it's put together in an interesting systematic way.

Jaguar

I'm listening to Bach, right now. But it's...
cdd9fc02.gif

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INFJ : Singer-songwriter, indie
Not for me...most of what I listen to is extreme metal (death, black, and doom especially), along with some classical and dark ambient. Nothing you would ever hear on the radio or tv.

Hecuba

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
I am not sure about these stereotypes but as an ISFJ I am drawn to Gothic and Punk music because it reminds me of my inner anguish and hatred towards this world.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I agree on the Bach. I'm very into Bach. The keyboard music, especially. It's some of the most complex, interesting, and aesthetically appealing music there is. I would further say that Anything performed by Glenn Gould is very INTJ. It's idiosyncratic, intelligent, very clearly played. I would say that most modernist art music would be very interesting to an INTJ. Such Schoenberg. It's dark, but not overly emotional, it's put together in an interesting systematic way.

How dare you imply that Bach is devoid of any emotion? Just listen to an Aria, to a Concerto or to a Passion!
I'm also very fond of Bach music (quoting Gould is a cliché, by the way), I even play it sometimes... and just like [MENTION=195]Jaguar[/MENTION] said: it's NOT TYPE RELATED.

Music, like any acquired cultural taste, is SOCIALLY and CULTURALLY related (at last, statistically speaking: see the theory of cultural capital for further information).

It means for instance that anybody who listens mainstream pop or gothic is likely to belong to a popular/middle (white or asian) class. While Jazz and Baroque may rather indicate middle to high intellectual bourgeoisie. Et caetera...
It has nothing to do with typing.

I

Infinite Bubble

I can see how Ne users might enjoy prog because of its changing nature that would satisfy the function, but I certainly wouldn't put any of this down to type. I listen to it (albeit, not too much), as an Ni user. I do like both classical and some techno though, although I don't think I've listened to Krautrock, so I cannot say. I mostly listen to a wide range of electronic music though. Another one is ISTJ for Jazz; I would classify it more as SP, especially its freer forms, and as improvisation is one of its key characteristics. As a dislaimer: no I don't think it's type related - there are probably vague patterns in there, always are, but I'm only suggesting for this threads purpose. Not to be taken too seriously.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah.

I'm an NT, and I like "feely" folk music/alt-country. It makes me think of nature, streams, mountains, etc.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
xSTJ: heavy metal, military music
This is pretty close, yeah. I do like some heavy metal, industrial to be more precise. I don't exactly like military music, but powerful rhythm is important to me.

SJ: Classic music

No the classic classics, no. But I do enjoy trailer music and orchestral music.

ISTJ: Jazz, tour accountanty

I like a song from every genre. Except Jazz. To this date, I have not yet heard a good Jazz song.

Now listening to Dubstep - Gangsta Rap - Roots Reggae mix... (Cypress Hill + Rusko + Dr. Bong) :p

S

Stansmith

Indie - ENFP, ISFP, INTJ, INFJ, INFP

Pop - ENFP, ESFP, ENFJ, ESFJ

Vintage 90s/80s rap - ENFP, ENTP, INFP, ISFP

Rap - Everyone except INFJs (they REALLY hate misogyny), INTJs, ISTJs, ESTJs and INTPs

Metal/weird white people sh-t - INTJ, ENTP, INTP, ESTP, ISTP

Techno/dance sh-t - ENFP, ESFP, and idk who else

Nothing - ISFP, ESFP and ISFJ; Ive actually met quite a few people of these types who claim they don't have any favorite artists. I think they're 9s usually.

S

Stansmith

I think ENFPs and some ISFPs have the most diverse taste. I can listen to Animal Collective, The Smiths and Neon Indian, and then listen to JT or Wayne without looking like a hipster snob.

I'd argue ENTP too, but they're less likely to be into mindless catchy pop music unless its Journey or something.