Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Interesting. I'm curious as to your reasons for these pegs. I feel like I need to go rewatch American Beauty, so I can put in my two cents.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Caroline- Obvious bitch ESFJ
    Sure, she's an ESFJ but why the need for "obvious bitch"? Lester is not that peachy either. Heck, none of them are. :rolli:

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

lester lost is mojo.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    Interesting. I'm curious as to your reasons for these pegs.
    Lester- Lives in the physical world, in the present. Obviously doesn't like social interaction too much, and doesn't put any stock at all in social rules. I considered ISTP for him, but he's a little too whiny and capricious for it.

Jane gives off outright INFP vibes, but she doesn't seem too abstract, dreamy or loopy - she doesn't really show signs of Ne. Ricky on the other hand is a lot like her, but sees things no one else does -- like the beauty of death, or the way the plastic bag resembles life, etc.

Carolyn (not Caroline, sorry) is painfully ESFJ. She's sanctimonious, shallow, and plastic.

The Colonel is a clear STJ rule whore. I would guess ESTJ, except he's too quiet for it. His wife is more soft-spoken, but clearly as obsessed as him with order, duty and cleanliness.

Angela's ESFPness is also quite obvious. She's insecure, loves attention, and is a live-in-the-moment kind of person.

Buddy is the only character that's not 100% clear, but he seems quite ENTJ. He's sociable obviously, and shows a good deal of foresight and image-consciousness. He could be ESTJ, but he seems more soft-spoken and charismatic than an ESTJ would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Sure, she's an ESFJ but why the need for "obvious bitch"? Lester is not that peachy either. Heck, none of them are. :rolli:
    Well, she's the most obvious example of her type in the movie, and I find her particular brand of petty, materialist sanctimoniousness by far the most annoying of any characters' flaws in that movie. I occasionally slip in a snide comment about a character like that besides their type (for example, I typed Greg Hale a "dick ENTP").
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Yeah, yeah, for lester and jane being isfp's.
    i'm still inspired to rewatch american beauty today.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

You should. It's a great movie
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Completely agreed! It's one of my favorites.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

well, i kind of disagree about angela being extroverted. when i think of her character, i usually think of how lost she is, how she needs somebody to take care of her, to listen to her, to admire her, but she's too absorbed with her image that she doesn't really care of others. she needs others' admiration, she needs to be the centre of attention, but it's a selfish need that to me doesn't imply an extroverted human being. maybe i'm mistaken. i'm new to the whole typology thing. : )

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Ricky is more INTP or INxP -- he is detached and steps outside of the human aspect of traumatic events. This detachment is not typical in INFPs, they typically retain too much of the human connection. Ricky's interaction with his father was far more similar to INTP use of Fe (he managed the relationship by learning and following the expected rules), while his relationship with his mum was detached on one level but broadly affectionate in the typical naive-but-sweet way an INTP will express personal affection. He "sees" everything and accepts people as they are, but also knows when to cut his losses and move on; even his personal observations come off as detached ("My parents will try to find me," says Jane. "Mine won't," says Ricky... and the sad part is that he is not really mourning the fact or being melodramatic, he is simply noting an honest fact as if it is not at all related to him.) Another signifier -- when he violates taboo, an INFP often will see to be aware of it and might even be rebelling against it in order to assert oneself, but Ricky is indifferent. It's not that he wants to violate taboo; he just doesn't really acknowledge that taboo even exists legitimately... yet another INTP style indicator.

Jane is INFP, not ISFP. She focuses on what lies underneath, not on the surface stuff. She's the same mentality as your typical Goth chick. She's also intrigued by Ricky because he violates her personal space, but she senses it is not meant to violate her -- it's just because he is detached -- and she is entranced by his detachment because she has trouble sharing it and it's almost like she wants to understand his secret so she can deal with her own crazy melodramatic family. The moment watching the bag video is the first time (aside from his mentioning of the dead body, etc.) where she really catches a true taste of Ricky's heart rather than his detached mind... and even then he is approaching the experiencing from a philosophical view, not a typical F one (the perfect merging of the INTP values of truth + beauty, often as embodied in nature)... and that's when she knows she is falling in love with him beyond just wanting to understand his secret of detachment.

Someone mentioned she doesn't show a lot of Ne. Why should she? She's an INFP, she's had all of her dreams belittled and crushed by her S parents, her best friend is an S, and she's retreated to her primary -- the Fi -- and replaced the Ne with a pragmatic wariness in order to protect her inner core. It's not safe for her to engage the real world much. With Ricky, she finally starts to feel safe.

I don't think Angela's an ESFP either. She's probably an introvert. She just wears the extroversion as a disguise to mask her insecurities. Her entire persona is just a disguise, which is why it's so exaggerated; she's trying to make herself seem far better than she actually believes about herself, in hopes others will love her. An extrovert would have handled Ricky's unmasking of her inner fears in a far different manner -- typically by lashing back. What did Angela do when she was stripped naked in front of her best friend and this man she hated? She did what introverts do: She ran away and hid, to be alone, and cry to herself.

Ricky's parents: ISTJ and ISFJ. They're almost cliches of the type, honestly. (And the mom has psychological issues.)

Carolyn is probably ESFJ -- she does tend to think "outside her head" rather than inside, and she has no real sense of self either, aside from what her life looks like and how successful she appears. It's all external, and she works frantically to make it look appealing and validate her life choices.

Not sure on Lester. ISFP is probably pretty valid. Yes, he's more whiny, and he's not as much of a detached jerk as an ISTP would be; his interactions still remain fairly personal throughout his transformation.

Buddy is ETJ, yes... not sure on the S/N, but it's still the same basic Te-primary, Pe-tertiary personality.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft