• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

LOST Character Typing (Spoiler Warning)!

Roflcopter

MBTI Type
ENFP
LOST Characters

I found a LOST actors thread, but I didn't see a characters thread. I'm new to this, so have at it!

lkpo14

Sawyer from lost, argument with a friend.

me and my friend are arguing about sawyer from lost, we both agree that he is a TP, but there is a big argument about him being S or N.

which is it?
and please explain why you think what you think.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not even sure sawyer is a T.

N? No way. Does he respond to the stimuli itself or to the ramifications and insinuations of the stimuli by nature? The former, completely. N is pretty "mamby-pamby" to him, one reason why he got on Locke's case all the time; he thinks Locke is a complete loon, while N's can recognize what Locke is doing and how he operates.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Most of his planning(particularly when he was living with the darhma inituitive) seemed to be more Te based, although Im unsure of N or S. Assuming Te we could say hes one of these:

Te as an Aux or a Dom

INTJ

ENTJ

ISTJ

ESTJ

Te as an Aux

ENFP

ESFP

You should consider that that his previous occupation(conman) required alot of Fe and Te. Fe(to manipulate people) + Te(to organize and plan) = The perfect conman.

lkpo14

can

I'm not even sure sawyer is a T.

N? No way. Does he respond to the stimuli itself or to the ramifications and insinuations of the stimuli by nature? The former, completely. N is pretty "mamby-pamby" to him, one reason why he got on Locke's case all the time; he thinks Locke is a complete loon, while N's can recognize what Locke is doing and how he operates.

can you explain why you think N=no way?

MBTI Type
INFj
Alright, so I'll try type most of the main characters, and offer some sort of brief explanation. I’m leaving out some of the main characters that didn’t have a big part. Seriously, what’s the point in typing Nikki and Paulo?

Ok so…here we go:

Jack: JACK – This guy is TOUGH to type. I love his character because he is very complex. At first he seems ESTJ…and then by the end he seems completely different. I think a lot of this might be because of the way he seemed to repress who he was, especially at the beginning. Most of the extraversion I saw in him came from his leadership, so he definitely could be an introvert.

Locke: INFJ –Another complex character who is a little tough to type, but this seems right. I think he’s an introvert because he seemed to be either by himself or with one other person most of the time. Intuitive because he came up with a lot of theories and ideas that had little do with what was in front of him. I think he’s a feeler because he seemed to make most of his decisions based on how he felt about them, even though he does seem a little cold sometimes. And finally, J because he made actual decisions quickly. I feel like a P type would’ve kept his options open more, and withheld his judgments.

Kate: ISFP – She doesn’t talk or socialize a whole lot. She’s actually pretty quiet. She seems to get most of her information from what she sees and what she knows, so that’s why I say she’s a sensor. Definitely a feeler if you ask me. She makes decisions based on how she feels. And P because she makes decisions quickly. I know I just used that same reason to justify Locke being a J, so maybe I’m not good at telling the difference, or maybe I’m using the same words to mean something different. She doesn’t really make snap judgments as much as she just acts quickly without planning ahead. That sounds very ‘P’ to me.

Sawyer: ESTJ – He seems a bit like an introvert at first, but he really seems to have more of an E vibe. I don’t think the guy has any problem being the center of attention. I think he’s a sensor because he’s really good at taking in all the facts and details and coming up with strategy. Of course, I think I remember him taking some intuitive leaps, but he seems too much of a sensor to be an intuitive. I'm pretty sure he's a thinker because even when you clearly see that he is emotional, he doesn't let that guide his decisions. And I think he's J because he always comes up with a plan, and pretty much always sticks to it.

Hurley: ESFP - I'm pretty sure about this one, but I have been known to be wrong...often.

Sayid: ISTJ – There is really no need to explain this. What else could he be? I challenge anyone to disagree with me on this.

Jin: ISTP – A little hard to tell with these two because of the big cultural differences, and the fact that for much of the show, Jin doesn’t speak English, but this type seems to fit him. I’m getting tired of giving an explanation so you figure out why.

Sun: INFJ – Wild guess. I don’t even think the writers knew who she was.

Michael: ESFP – Hehe…I’m sorry to all ESFP’s out there. I know you’re not all like him.

Walt: KIDD – Hey, it works. I liked how he was a lot more mature than his own dad.

Charlie: ENFP – He seems to like to be social, so he’s a pretty clear extravert to me. He seems to go more off of his intuition than his senses, though I’m guessing people will disagree with me on this. I am really not confident on him being an intuitive. I AM pretty confident that he is a feeler though. Same with him being a P.

Claire: ISFP – A little hard to tell because once she had a baby, she was very much a mom. The only thing I can say for sure is that she was extremely good looking. In fact, a better personality type for her would be HOTT.

Desmond: INFP –I think he’s an introvert because he seemed to be OK with being by himself for so long, and he was pretty quiet when he was around people. I think he’s an intuitive because he seems to be more concerned with abstract ideas than concrete facts. He does make intuitive leaps. He definitely has a feeler vibe. And finally, I think he’s a P because he doesn’t really make too many firm judgments, and he goes with the flow most of the time. He is one of my favorite characters so tell me what you think!

Ben: INTP – It’s all pretty obvious except for the last one (P or J?). At first I was going to say P because I think he's pretty good at adapting to new situations, but he seems like too much of a planner to be a P.

Juliet: INTJ – Man…this is tough. This is another wild guess.

Libby: INFP – She was too mysterious to understand if you ask me. So, this is yet another wild guess.

Eko: INFJ – He’s very quiet, seems to think abstractly, could be T but I got more of F vibe from him. I’m pretty sure about the J because he seems so firm in his decisions. One of my favorite characters.

Charlotte: ExTx – Seems social enough to be an extravert, and she seems logical. I don’t know about the rest.

Daniel: INTP – Seems to fit him pretty well.

Miles: INTP – Seems to fit him pretty we-- what the-- Same type as Daniel? I guess it’s possible, but they clearly are different people. Maybe Daniel is a feeler? What do you think? I have a hard time believing that I’m correct in typing both Daniel and Miles as INTP’s.

Richard: OLD – Definitely an interesting character, but I don’t think we saw enough of him to really get a good feel for who he is.

Anna Lucia: UHHH - …you know what…I’m not going to type her. Whatever she is typed as, it would be an insult to that type. Even though she did help Jake and fight for the Na’vi, she was super annoying.

Phew…that was tough. My head hurts, so that’s all I’m doing. Tell me what you think.

My favorite characters by the way are Jack, Locke, Desmond, Eko, and Miles; so, they are the ones I am most interested in discussing.

Now it’s your turn to type them. Have fun.

Last edited:

Eye 'n' Teepee

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Jack: ESTJ
Locke: INFP
Kate: ISFP
Sawyer: ISTP
Hurley: ESFP
Sayid: ISTP
Jin: ISTJ
Sun: ISFP
Michael: ESFP
Charlie: ESFP
Claire: INFP
Desmond: INFP
Ben: INTJ
Eko: INFJ
Daniel: INTP
Miles: ENTP
Richard: INFP

MBTI Type
INFj
Jack: ESTJ
Sawyer: ISTP
Sayid: ISTP
Michael: ESFP
Claire: INFP
Eko: INFJ
Miles: ENTP
Richard: INFP

I think the biggest one I disagree with is Miles being an extrovert. He seems too low key. Why do you think he's an extrovert?

Havane

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Jack: ESFJ
Kate: ISTP
Sawyer: ESTP
Sayid: ISFJ
Michael: ESFJ
Walt: INF?
Claire: ENFP
Juliet: INFJ
Libby: ENF?
Eko: ISFJ
Charlotte: EST?
Miles: ISTP
Richard: ISFP
Anna Lucia: ESTJ

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All Lost character threads are now merged, with the newest title kept.

I don't have a lot of time to invest, nor do these conversations seem to reach agreement anyway, but here are my thoughts of a few of the characters I have a strong opinion about.

Jack: JACK – This guy is TOUGH to type. I love his character because he is very complex. At first he seems ESTJ…and then by the end he seems completely different. I think a lot of this might be because of the way he seemed to repress who he was, especially at the beginning. Most of the extraversion I saw in him came from his leadership, so he definitely could be an introvert.

ESTJ is the best read for him, but he has an introverted approach to things. Typically, an ISTJ would not be as outwardly aggressive as Jack ... hence the confusion. It's possible for an ISTJ to be put under lots of pressure to end up being an extremely strong Type A personality. Because Jack seems to start with an introspective core and acts out of it, he might just be an aggressive ISTJ who tries to dominate like an ESTJ.

Note: To determine Jack's "true" type, we should go by the first season or two or the series... before the island "mucked" with him and made him far more well-rounded. Still, in the end, even with him taking a more NP approach to truth, note how he approached things in a (1) proactive way (this is an STJ feature) and (2) mainly as a DUTY... he NEEDED his life to make sense, and he MADE it serve a purpose. Still very STJ, just nuanced now with a more open approach. He died happy because he (1) fulfilled his duty and (2) overcame his opposition... i.e., won the game and (3) proved he was competent. He NEEDED to win to die happy.

Locke: INFJ –... And finally, J because he made actual decisions quickly. I feel like a P type would’ve kept his options open more, and withheld his judgments.

No, he did not, emphatically so. Starting in Season #1, Locke was the epitome of INFP and had IMMENSE trouble being sure of himself. I think you are confusing Fi with Ni here. Ni + Je will close off options and seem sure of themselves (see Juliet as a prime example of INFJ), Locke is most emphatically P. The strong character trait he possessed was self-doubt (even while demanding his life has a purpose, but he could never settle on what it was!)... and his very last thoughts in life in Season #5 when Ben killed him was "... I don't understand!" INFJs are actually very sure of themselves... and simply will change their direction as they go but still exude certainty/confidence in their choices; INFPs will agonize and search, and Locke was the "searcher."

Read INFP, talk to some INFP guys, and you will see he was about as INFP as you can get.

The fake Locke of Season #6, of course, has nothing to do with the real Locke.

ISP most likely... and I can't think of a better read than ISFP, but Kate has been so toughened up that she doesn't allow herself to show her F very much, she usually acts very pragmatically and takes action immediately, like as ISTP would.

Sawyer: ESTJ – He seems a bit like an introvert at first, but he really seems to have more of an E vibe.

Sawyer's another weird E/I mix. ST is right on the money. I'd like to say STP because he's a rogue (like ESTP Han Solo), but he has more inner core than Solo... and then thing is that the primary theme of Sawyer's life seems to be a rebellion against authority... which is an STJ feature. STPs are more apt to break rules because they want to "be free" to act, whereas STJs are more apt to rebel against rules directly, to define themselves by not being under the authority of the reining rules.

The problem with an ESTJ read for Sawyer is because ESTJ is Te + Si .... very rational, very logical, very into organization on a group level. The "Administrator" is very much the quintessential job for an ESTJ; and this is NOT at all Sawyer, the lone rogue who just wants to be free to act and portrays himself as a bad boy to keep others away and thus protect himself emotionally.

Hurley: ESFP - I'm pretty sure about this one, but I have been known to be wrong...often.

ISFP, pretty much a definitive one by the textbook definition. I have some really close ISFP friends who are ringers for Hurley. ESFPs are far more drama prone; Hurley hates to intrude, he shows QUIET compassion for others and is everyone's friend... but in a completely non-intrusive, non-overbearing way. He is the soft warm inviting light, compared to the burning sun of an ESFP that seeks to excite and motivate others overtly.

Jin: ISTP

ISTJ. Typical male in that culture.

Sun: INFJ – Wild guess.

Good guess.

Michael: ESFP – Hehe…I’m sorry to all ESFP’s out there. I know you’re not all like him.

No, he's another typical ISTJ.. .whereas Jin was more responsible and structured (strong Si, strong Te in how he structures his life), Michael is Si strong but weak with his Te. Michael can't seem to find a backbone, and he is wracked with guilt because he is a "bad father"... so much so that he kills a few of his friends in order to save his son... but honestly, in the end, he was less saving his son and more trying to vindicate his own self-worth by proving he was a good dad by saving his son.

This is why Michael is sort of a tragic anti-hero or even a villain in the series... because his motives in the end, while masked as selfless, were actually self-centered.

Claire: ISFP – A little hard to tell because once she had a baby, she was very much a mom.

WHich ironically leads to the cliche but accurate reading of ISFJ... the "mom" archetype in many cultures.

Claire's about as J as you can get, I'm not sure where you got a P from.

Ben: INTP – It’s all pretty obvious except for the last one (P or J?). At first I was going to say P because I think he's pretty good at adapting to new situations, but he seems like too much of a planner to be a P.

Yes, he's an INTJ. An INTP likes to envision all the possibilities but not control the situation (that seems to be "tampering with reality), Ben's whole point is to control reality to achieve his goals.

Juliet: INTJ – Man…this is tough.

INFJ. She's pretty much the typical female INFJ I've met (aside from the Fe-focused ones who thus more resemble their ISFJ counterparts).

Daniel: INTP – Seems to fit him pretty well.

Possible. But with a strong dose of Ni thrown in there. His feeling functions are sweet and child-like, unnuanced, which makes him endearing in some ways.

Miles: INTP

Probably another ISTJ. He's S, not N, for sure. He's also a realist, and despite hearing ghost voices, approaches it more like an S would.

MBTI Type
INFj
Probably another ISTJ. He's S, not N, for sure. He's also a realist, and despite hearing ghost voices, approaches it more like an S would.

Nice job with typing the characters.

So with Miles, why do you think he is a J type? He didn't control the situation...ever. He just went along with others.

I'm not saying you're wrong. You're probably correct. I just want to understand why.