Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Strong memory (and especially heavy reliance on said memory) is the very defining feature of Si.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Strong memory is the very defining feature of Si.
    Si = internal sensing. How something felt, or was to them. That doesn't mean that Si users have better memory than any other types, it's how they use their memory. I could say that an Ne dominant has better memory because they relate everything together, like a web, same goes for all other functions.

The style in which Sheldon gets his memory is purely out of logic, he deduces the best acoustic spot in the room for example. If he was just remembering these things, then he would know that spot. For him, everything if his has to be in a logical order. It doesn't seem like a Te thing, besides, Te is ISTJs secondary function, as compared to Ti dominance.

And I seriously don't think that the word concrete applies to Sheldon. The language he chooses is very intuitive. I'm thinking INTP. (used to think ENTP, but I wasn't thinking about his logic skills).
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm firmly of the assessment that Sheldon is an INTJ. Having spent *some* time in physics grad school, and given how incredibly well this show portrays actual physics cultures, I'd like to point out that there are VERY few S's in physics grad school. Further, the ones that are generally prefer to be in the lab and DOING things, or tinkering with things, NOT sitting around and being all theoretical and whatnot. Think "look mommy, I made my own laser!!!", not "given moderate assumptions, one can show that the odd-dimensional topology of quantum-loop vortexes as expressed in its deRham invariant is clearly a violation of CP invariance at large enough scales for long enough time periods, assuming adiabatic processes of course" [yes, thats a made up sentence, but with lots of actually-valid words that just don't belong together, as far as I know].
    Anyways, Sheldon is a *theorist* NOT an *experimentalist*. I'm trying to remember, but isn't he a string-theorist to boot??? That's right, super-theoretical AND super-mathematical [and if I'm misremembering string-theorist, whatever he does IS super-mathematical]. I've met plenty of smart S people in technical fields. None of them had an interest in theoretical mathematics, or theoretical physics for that matter.

Also, Sheldon is pretty damned physically oblivious and physically unskilled [I don't want to drive a car!], Ni-dom tends to be extreme senso-tards [or at least the ones in physics generally do]. Remember the episode in season 1 where he wants to built something, but has no tools, and then they find a toolbox, and he doens't know how to open it!!! That's hardly S.

Having spent *some* time in physics grad school, having had many peers, and having known many people [including professors!] with PhD's in physics, which the character Sheldon has, the disgustingly vast majority are INTJ's, and I've NEVER met a S physics PhD, ever, period.

Boy genius is INTJ as snot. And some INTJ's are pretty darn persnickety about details and HOW things will be done. That doesn't make them S's however.

Plus, hello people, when he daydreams about time machines, and having his own virtual city [Sheldonopolois he calls it], and what he will do [and won't do!] when he is the last human being left alive, or if aliens come and try to abduct him, and ..... and and all the other wacky crazy-as-shit stuff he thinks about and then when he tells people your reaction is "WTF??? who comes out with weird shit like that, and who has time to think about stuff like that???" Ni.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Si = internal sensing. How something felt, or was to them. That doesn't mean that Si users have better memory than any other types, it's how they use their memory. I could say that an Ne dominant has better memory because they relate everything together, like a web, same goes for all other functions.
    Si is memory, that is the very definition of it. It is reliance on, as you said, what was felt or experienced; otherwise known as recall, otherwise known as, what was the word? Oh, memory.

Ne-doms often have a rather shitty memory. I should know, I am one.

The style in which Sheldon gets his memory is purely out of logic, he deduces the best acoustic spot in the room for example. If he was just remembering these things, then he would know that spot. For him, everything if his has to be in a logical order. It doesn't seem like a Te thing, besides, Te is ISTJs secondary function, as compared to Ti dominance.
    No, no, his insane rules are derived from his neurotic attention to the details in and intricacies of his apartment, as well as past events in his life that get him all obsessive (for example, his memorization of every minute football rule), not from abstraction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    I'm firmly of the assessment that Sheldon is an INTJ. Having spent *some* time in physics grad school, and given how incredibly well this show portrays actual physics cultures, I'd like to point out that there are VERY few S's in physics grad school. Further, the ones that are generally prefer to be in the lab and DOING things, or tinkering with things, NOT sitting around and being all theoretical and whatnot. Think "look mommy, I made my own laser!!!", not "given moderate assumptions, one can show that the odd-dimensional topology of quantum-loop vortexes as expressed in its deRham invariant is clearly a violation of CP invariance at large enough scales for long enough time periods, assuming adiabatic processes of course" [yes, thats a made up sentence, but with lots of actually-valid words that just don't belong together, as far as I know].
    Anyways, Sheldon is a *theorist* NOT an *experimentalist*. I'm trying to remember, but isn't he a string-theorist to boot??? That's right, super-theoretical AND super-mathematical [and if I'm misremembering string-theorist, whatever he does IS super-mathematical]. I've met plenty of smart S people in technical fields. None of them had an interest in theoretical mathematics, or theoretical physics for that matter.

Also, Sheldon is pretty damned physically oblivious and physically unskilled [I don't want to drive a car!], Ni-dom tends to be extreme senso-tards [or at least the ones in physics generally do]. Remember the episode in season 1 where he wants to built something, but has no tools, and then they find a toolbox, and he doens't know how to open it!!! That's hardly S.
    Utter horseshit. So, he's a Sensor so he can't be a physicist and a klutz? Sure, S physicists are rare, but they're not unheard of. As for the klutziness and theoretical focus you might do well to remember he's an SJ, not an SP. Si is memory, recall and reliance on experience, as opposed to situational awareness. Hell, even Se-doms can be klutzes; our very own Whatever has confided in me that she often trips up on the sidewalk because she was busy taking in everything around her and couldn't focus on what she was actually doing (walking).

Plus, hello people, when he daydreams about time machines, and having his own virtual city [Sheldonopolois he calls it], and what he will do [and won't do!] when he is the last human being left alive, or if aliens come and try to abduct him, and ..... and and all the other wacky crazy-as-shit stuff he thinks about and then when he tells people your reaction is "WTF??? who comes out with weird shit like that, and who has time to think about stuff like that???" Ni.
    Wild flights of fancy like that are more often Ne domain; higher Ni users are more likely to have visions they can actually accomplish, and then work towards them by treating life as a live game of chess. And ISTJs are Ne-inferior.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    He's a N for sure... he's not Si whatsoever. ISTJ characters would be like Aaron Hotchner from Criminal Minds and Theresa Lisbon from The Mentalist. Oh yeah, if you ever meet an NT with a special passion or they have something they *deem" important, they can can possess really strong memories for those areas. Also, "having a strong memory" can also just be a sign of intelligence. It depends on what he utilizes the "strong memory" for. What are the character's reasons for acting the way he does?
    The son of a bitch has a strong memory on literally EVERYTHING. Is he passionately interested in the contents of his room? Probably not, but he has a very strong recall of these minute details and data-supported facts. He shows all the signs of Si, going on the very definition of the function. If he was passionately interested in the contents of his room, that would also point to him being a sensor, given that intuitives don't pay attention to anything so concrete.

What are the character's reasons for acting the way he does? Is Sheldon seriously practical and grounded? People would say that I have pretty strong memory but that doesn't mean a SJ by any means.
    Yes, he is seriously rather practical and grounded. In everything he does, he's focused on the minute details rather than the big picture. He is fixated on minutiae.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTP

xxTJ with some Asperger's Syndrome thrown in.

Love Sheldon's character. Love the show. Sometimes I wish I lived in a TV sitcom. Throw out the one liners, say what you really mean and have the other person take it on the chin and come back with some quip of their own.
    'It's the question that drives us, Neo. It's the question that brought you here.... The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.' Trinity

Agent Brown: 'Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions.'

'Maybe the questions are right, we just don't like the answers'

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I've know ISTJ and INTJ people and Sheldon strikes me as an INTJ. I'd be surprised if the character was meant to be ISTJ rather than INTJ.