• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fictional Type Clichés

Sunny Ghost

Artists:
ISFP: less cunning than the villain, the all-good FP combination, the FiNi angst: this is hero material.
Yeah, yeah!
Rationals:
INTJ: archvillain - as both I and N he's the smartest one around, and as both T and J the most evil. Nothing can redeem this type.
Not always evil. Mostly... just socially awkward, so they pretend to have hate. The only INTJ I know is not evil at all. Sure... he picks fights and can be a pompous dick... but he does it all in good spirit of hoping to "enlighten" others. Dick. And... sure... he can cut people down... but like I said, it's mostly in defense of his lack of people skills. They just aren't people, people.
INTP: the dork genius cooped up with computers (or the equivalent available in the setting), more seen as a failure than as a danger/ally, despite him being one of the smartest types. This type is redeemed by getting friends.
My one and only INTP friend has a complete lack of morality. He's not evil... but he is probably the only one I might question to truly step into the dark side.
Idealists:
INFP: shaman, true love of the hero... in all cases, this type tells the hero to 'follow his heart' and frees him from his angst.
Ah, so true! ::swoon::

Sunny Ghost

Can you guys enlighten me as to why you perceive the ISTP type as the hero? I have an ISTP roommate... and I just don't see that quality in him. He's quite mechanical... but boy, sometimes he gets under my skin.

KDude

Can you guys enlighten me as to why you perceive the ISTP type as the hero? I have an ISTP roommate... and I just don't see that quality in him. He's quite mechanical... but boy, sometimes he gets under my skin.

heh.. read some of the discussion here. they're more like "anti-hero".

kevrawlings

MBTI Type
ISTP
I actually read somewhere that istps are the most often used protagonists in fictional literature.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
INFP heros - think frodo
or some one kinda down trodden, and "every bodies man" taking on a big coperation/organisation/instutition over a principle, or because of some personal injustice. A david and goliath situation. Even better, if they uncover the grievence, over some thing they thought intially was a small problem.

I always thought the "every bodies man" type was ISFP.

He's down to earth yet principled and something of the perfect victim. Sensors, as I've observed the pattern, are much more relatable because they're more alert and in touch with reality. I think Tamske was right in her description of the INFP. We typically get pegged as the true love interest, there to be admired but hardly respected. As a matter of fact, I think this happens to characters that are meant to represent Introverted Feelers (not Fi-users but IxFxs - i.e., ISFJs, INFPs, INFJs, and ISFPs), often portrayed as female, but moreso to INFPs for some reason.

Rule #1: Feelers are always better than Thinkers. An F can be a bad guy, but only a T can be truly evil.

I don't think that's necessarily true as far as fictional stereotypes go. Thinkers and Feelers are both presented as important or on the side of right in fiction, just in different ways. It's either the T protagonist who is respected, practical, and a useful contributor (Fs are dumb, worthless, and just fluff) or the F hero who is good-intentioned and without fault (Ts are mean, domineering, and unimaginative).

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
The only INTJ I know is not evil at all. Sure... he picks fights and can be a pompous dick... but he does it all in good spirit of hoping to "enlighten" others. Dick. And... sure... he can cut people down... but like I said, it's mostly in defense of his lack of people skills. They just aren't people, people.

We're talking about fiction here, about the typical roles our types get in fiction. I fully well know any type could get any role. To me, it's really inspiring to list those stereotypes... they make ENTJ sidekicks and ISFP villains spring up in my head.

Now, what about science-fiction? Isn't that the typical NTP realm? Everything is moved a bit to the T side; but of course it's dotted with robots getting emotional chips.

Here's an ESTJ on the good side: the captain of the space ship, steady and blunt, fades to background (or panicks) when unexpected situation calls for Perceiver hero.

KDude

Sci fi does have an NT/ST bent to it, I think. But maybe "space opera" stories (eg Star Wars) probably have more romantic or idealistic save-the-world protragonists. Although there's still room for some of those characters in typical sci fi too. I think Sarah Connor in the Terminator stories is ISFP (kinda becomes ISTP like later..but still is pretty centered on feelings). Or Fox Mulder (not sure wth his type is..but it's safe to say there isn't an obvious display of T with him at least).

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually read somewhere that istps are the most often used protagonists in fictional literature.

I think ISTPs are often represented as action heroes or anti-heroes.
Think the lastest James Bond, Spike Speigel and John McClane.