• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Mentalist

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jane- INFJ with Hans Landa syndrome
Lisbon- ESFJ
Rigsby- ESTP
Cho- ISTP
Van Pelt- INFJ
Minelli- ESTJ
Bosco- ISTJ
Hightower- ENTJ
Red John- INTJ

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Lisbon- ESFJ
Rigsby- ESTP
Cho- ISTP
Van Pelt- INFJ
Minelli- ESTJ
Bosco- ISTJ
Hightower- ENTJ
Red John- INTJ

I disagree about the main cast.
Okay... Jane is probably INFJ, even though there's sligth chance he could be ENFJ too... that's because he enjoys people to a great extend... but then he'd be primary Fe and secondary Ni... which doesn't quite seem right.

Rigsby is clearly an ESTJ. There isn't anything P about him at all. He's the man of duty, clearly. He also has that SJ awkwardness that can be seen in many SJs, especially Es (because they are more visible than we intros are). He's always the one asking whether something is normal or not... and is always surprised when his "ordinary" pals tell him they have done all kinds of things an "ordinary" person (by his standards) would not do.

Cho is also a clear INTJ. First of all, he has no facial or emotional expressions. Okay, in many ways ISTP and INTJ are very similar on this.. they can both look very calm and 'sturdy', as if there was nothing that could bother them. However, I don't think Cho has much appreciation for Se side of the life (that ISTPs would love to embrace), instead he prefers the NiTe side of the life. In one episode Rigsby is pondering on a moral dilemma, and asks Cho for guidance for his complex problem. Cho simply says that the problem is not complex, it's only a question of which one of the two options he wants to choose. I think this is clear display of Ni thinking, especially of NiTe thinking.

Van Pelt... not an INFJ. Does she appear similar to Jane at all? I don't think so. She's a clear ISFJ in my opinion. At the beginning of the series she clashed few times with Jane on matters of religion and things beyond. She wanted to believe in something extra-ordinary, while Jane consistently showed flaws in her logic. Van Pelt was offended when her beliefs and customs were questioned by Jane's logic. I think that would make her Si over Ni... and thus ISFJ. ISFJs are also more prone to believe in the kindness of others, than INFJs are.

However, I agree Lisbon being ESFJ.

I haven't thought about the others much.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jane doesn't seem to like talking too much. He's a showoff, certainly, but he shows off for the sake of it, not for social interaction or approval; he's an introvert.

Van Pelt isn't too similar to Jane, sure, but Jane is far from a typical INFJ. He was almost certainly ENTP back during his fake psychic days, and his behavior still reflects that to an extent, you might notice he isn't similar at all to the numerous INFJs on this site either. ;) Grace isn't particularly procedurally oriented the way, say, Lisbon or Minelli are. She's very meticulous like her teammates are, but she's rather interpersonally oriented; her detective work being based on deductions about said relations. One could even say she's ENFJ (Fe Ni) instead, but she seems even more introverted than Jane.

I could buy ESTJ and INTJ for Cho and Rigsby though.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
Jane - INFJ
Lisbon - ESFJ
Rigsby - xSTJ
Cho - INTJ
Van Pelt - ISFJ

Jane might look like an ENTP at times, but functionally they're not very far from each other: Both are primary Ns with the following two functions switched: FeTi and TiFe. This is also the formula for an ideal companion according to some theories... It makes sense that INFJ and ENTP are closely related.

Van Pelt is an obvious ISFJ to me.

I haven't decided on Rigsby, it's between ISTJ and ESTJ.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
E. He's socially awkward, but more than a bit of a showoff, and unlike Jane he enjoys talking.

See my points above. Van Pelt is an N.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jane used to be ENTP (His Ti is probably still a tad stronger than his Fe). His arrogance carried over. ;)

atomisedmonk

Jane used to be ENTP (His Ti is probably still a tad stronger than his Fe). His arrogance carried over. ;)
:)
Sorry, as in his arrogance went away? Really? I'm in Australia so we might be behind on episodes. I always considered him to be an ENTP and Simon Baker to be the INFJ. Maybe his real life personality or something is coming through in his performance. Bad Baker! (Man, I couldn't find a disapproval smiley! :))

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Patrick Jane is one big clusterfuck of Ni and Te, but also Ti and (somewhat clinical) Fe.
Those four are fairly even, although Ni is in the lead by a long shot.
The guy has just taken his intuition/gut feeling to a conscious and refined level through training.
Given his situation, being mad with grief over his family and obsessed with catching a killer to the point where he is constantly sleep-deprived...
I think MBTI can kiss itself goodbye when it comes to getting a definite read on the guy.

Ni-dom, though.
His plastic Fe that comes out to play all the time is really odd. Shadowy?
It's well learned, but that's what it is. Clinical, not natural.
INFJs are usually better with people, in a way. More tactful and considerate, anyway.
That leads me to say that he might be an INTJ.

Not that I really want to claim to be his type because of some hype, it's not exactly my favorite series.
He's annoying and uncooperative most of the time, even if what he does is sort of cool.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How does Jane show any Te? Like, at all? :huh:

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
INFJs are usually better with people, in a way. More tactful and considerate, anyway.

In a way... usually... sounds like the rule bends a lot for different kinds of INFJs.

Patrick Jane can be tactful and considerate when he wants to. He has all the skills and knowledge to do so. So have I. However, being tactful and considerate can feel boring and unprogressive to me. I'm much more interested in cutting all the crap and getting to the core of things; Solving mysteries, so to speak. I'm very much interested in people's emotions, but not the fake ones that protect the real emotions. By being blunt people realize those masks are not working and we get to talk about the real stuff... and thus really solve issues.

Jung

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Lisbon- ESFJ
Rigsby- ESTP
Cho- ISTP
Van Pelt- INFJ
Minelli- ESTJ
Bosco- ISTJ
Hightower- ENTJ
Red John- INTJ

Jane - INFJ Definitely an extremely gregarious one. I think this comes from extreme self-confidence with extroversion that arose with his unusual childhood.
Lisbon - ISTJ I'm probably wrong on this, but someone needs to give me some evidence so I can change my mind. Definitely an SJ. I could really only see ESFJ or ISTJ. I'm just caught up on the lack of socializing on her part, for her to be an Fe dom. Although, she is very Fe in the way she diverts attention from her lack of socializing. Yeah... I'll change to ESFJ.
Cho - INTJ Though the actor uses Fe(>Fi) a lot, he's probably an ENFJ. I think this is why he comes across as an INFJ-Ti or ISTP.
Rigsby - ESFP I see Fi>Ti, could be wrong though. Definitely an Se dom.
Van Pelt - ISFP I see her and I see an Fi dom. Very protective of her inner-self. I also see a lot of Se in her stunts and thrill seeking attitude, and Ni>Ne - don't see much Ne. Initially I thought INFP-Si with underdeveloped Ne. I could see ISFJ (inferior Ne); I think she's supposed to have Si, but it comes across like Fi and she also happens to use Ni. But, I think it's less clear on the N/S line than it is on the T/F line. She's much more complex than we know, I think, which to me suggests ISFP-Ni.
Bosco - ESTJ Could be an I. Obvious STJ though, prototypical STJ.
Minelli - ESTJ Could otherwise be an ISFJ, not likely though.
Hightower - ENTJ 100% Such a perfect actress-type combination.
Red John - INTJ could very well be right. I think he could be an INFJ as well. Though, it's hard to type someone you only see once. He does seem almost certainly to be an Ni dom though. And upon reflection, his actions do seem much more Te than Fe, though both T and F functions, whatever orientation they are, are well developed.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I also think that Jane is an INFJ as opposed to an ENTP.

ENFP101

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
....Patrick- ISTP!!!!

I think Patrick is an ISTP....Ill explain:
There is more to the MBTI then just the letters, there is also an order of functions.
The first function appearent is Ti- an almost internal whiteboard of clear thinking, following with Se- a super clear sensory perception of the outside world. Ne's would not be able to pick up the details patricks picks up. Similiar to the show "Lie to Me"- the main character is an Se- picking up through sensory (sight) whether or not the guy is lying.:D:D

Boelthorn

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Cho is not an INTJ. He shows very little Ni, he almost never doubt Janes instruction, he shows Ti not Te. ISTP. I think that Patrick Jane is actually INTP. Most arguments against it are superficial. Yeah, most INTPs aren't really good in social skills but that doesn't kill INTP for Jane. Ask yourseöf what seems more dminant? His Ti or his Ne? I made a similar argument the other way round fpr Walter Bishop from Fringe. While it is somtemis hard to decide between types that are the extrovewrted / introverted "vewrsioN" of each other since dominant and secondary function are used together a lot is it possible. My case for Walter Bishop was that he is ENTP. This is ofc broadly generalized but ENTP tend to make experriments to draw their conclusion from them and gain knowledge. Ne is leading, Ti assisting. INTP on the other tend to have a theory in the beginning and conduct an experiment (a lot of what Jane does could be described as social experiments) to prove their theory. That is excactly what Jane does. Most of the time he already knows who the killer is. He just need to prove it. A very gfood example for somebody that works very similar to Jane (although he relies more on thought experiments than social stunts) is L from death note. A poster boy INTP.

Boelthorn

MBTI Type
ENTJ
ISTP would be possible. Very. On the paper it fits almost perfect. But I still tend towards INTP. But it's a very reasonable typing. And while Lightman clearly uses Se I don't think he is ISTP. He seems ENTJ to me.