User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Okay, so I just watched the charlie rose with stephen colbert where he is FOR ONCE, NOT IN CHARACTER!

Observations:
    --> He is a "thoughtful" communicator who thinks through his answers. I think some people mistook this for him being an introvert. I think an extroverted NF or NT could be capable the same way.
    --> He seems to be far more concerned with passion, affecting the feelings of others and "performing", than he does with "deconstructive irony". He is motive over structure and collectivist over utilitarian. He is an NF.
    --> Although he states that he got his comedic "start" in improvisation, he still strikes me as more Fe than Fi. His desire to take on a world view in order to affect others strikes me as a Ni-Fe perspective. Its not about exploring every possibility, but complete transformation into a different paradigm, for the sake of humorously affecting his audience.
    --> His pace, phrasing, and mannerisms are identical to my INFJ uncle (bad example of evidence I know )
    INFJ

Additionally
    --he is a "Classically trained" actor who actually wanted "to be hamlet, rather than simply portray or understand hamlet".
    --he focused on "Serious" acting for a long time until he "gave in" to his comedic talents
    --he is the first in his family to say "colberrrr" rather than colbert, because as he says, he inherited the pretentious gene haha

Jon Stewart
    --Colbert described John as deconstructing the news and pointing out ironies (vs Colbert's strategy)
    --Colbert described John as having a comedic mask of sorts (not as loud and outgoing in real life)
    --Colbert joked that his wife knew john before (she was an actor) and she described him as quiet and not funny...yet.
    --Colbert said that despite what people say, John is very charitable in trying to figure out what people actually wanted
    to say (conservative or liberal).
    XNTP John seems to be XNTP in MBTI terms, but in Big 5 terms he would be agreeable over egocentric, and therefore comes off as "softer" and "nicer" than a typical "T". I think he is ambiverted
    Last edited by Venom; 11-02-2010 at 12:14 PM.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Colbert is an ENFJ in character, INFJ not.

Jon is ENTP with extremely well-developed Fe...and his character isn't as drastically different from his own personality as Colbert's is.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Colbert is often playing an obviously biased traditionalist who is paranoid and scared of the world around him. He plays an absurd and defensive ESTJ with tert Ne on roids. If Colbert is an introvert in real life, he must have developed a way to keep expending energy in rapid-fire succession that is not too taxing, or maybe he's not a strong introvert to begin with.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    Colbert is often playing an obviously biased traditionalist who is paranoid and scared of the world around him. He plays an absurd and defensive ESTJ with tert Ne on roids. If Colbert is an introvert in real life, he must have developed a way to keep expending energy in rapid-fire succession that is not too taxing, or maybe he's not a strong introvert to begin with.
    Having an introverted dominant function doesn't mean you have to have little energy.

Also, would an Fe dominant be so comfortable with judging people and even making fun of them as he's talking to them? I know he does that in character, but I'm not sure they'd like it anyway. But please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think trying to convince people of your views is a particularly Fe trait either. Any idealistic or even semi-idealistic or cynical person will have some desire to promote their views. I still think he is an INXP.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

When I said Fe dominant, I meant "With high Fe". I know INFJs are Ni dominant, it was a mistake.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Socionics
    ENFP

I guess I'm very late to the game, but I thought I'd respond to this.

Again -- I hate giving people my own type -- but I really think Jon Stewart is an NF and not an NT. And since I agree with the dominant Ne, I'd give him an ENFP.

I agree that his quick wit and often operatic takedowns of others might lead others to put him in the NT camp. He's lively, fun, at times cutting and acerbic. But I think that is because of the satiric nature of his show, and because his Ne is out to have a good time. But when you look beneath that, I think, it's a different story.

Jon Stewart likes to crusade. When there's a topic that deeply affects him, he takes charge of the tone. That tone is usually very personal. The Rally for Sanity is evidence of it, I think -- his finally deciding to use his show as a platform to represent something -- and the subsequent interview he held with Rachel Maddow (a fellow ENFP) was an interesting exercise in auxiliary Fi bonding. ("I think --", "No, I feel --". "I take this personally because...") What was most interesting was his distress that others had misinterpreted what he had felt about his event. He was sad that others had appropriated feelings for him and did not understand the core of emotion behind the decision he made.

When Jon speaks about something he cares about, suddenly his tone becomes pure, almost naive and childish at times. And though it is something he would like /not/ to have to say, but he is compelled to because of an overwhelming need to say what he feels is right. The latest episodes about the 9/11 responders is real evidence of this. Gone were his general silly and high-energy rants. He was deadly serious. He saw the media's ignorance of the plight of dying 9/11 responders unable to afford their health care as the worst kind of negligence. He invited 9/11 responders onto his show so that he could give them a voice.

This is not to say that there is no such thing as the ENTP crusade. But the ENTP crusade gets ignited when others defend faulty, irresponsible logic. (Ti at work.) Stewart might feel upset or even get enjoyment from pointing out the existence of faulty intellectual logic, but he draws the line at what he sees as an unjustifiable harm to people.

I agree that anyone who thinks Stewart is an NT should see him stacked up against another NT. It's obvious that the quick, caustic wit is something that Stewart has gained with practice, and to serve the larger purpose of his comedy. And that purpose is to bring enjoyment and awareness to other people in whatever way he can.

MBTI
    INTP

Very hard for me to see Jon as anything but ENTP

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Jon Stewart: ENTP 7w8 So/Sp.
    Stephen Colbert: ENTP 6w5 So/Sp.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post

I always thought Jon Stewart is ENTP. I think most of us agree on Ne as being his dominant. Compared to Bill Maher who is ... ENTP? INTJ? INTP?
    Maher's more clearly extroverted to me than Stewart is (I'd guess ENTJ). Maher is like what he's like on and off his show. Stewart acts a bit differently off-camera, more subdued. I'd believe Stewart (or Colbert) as an introvert before Maher (though that doesn't necessarily mean either one is).

PS Anyone whose only exposure to Colbert is stuff he's done in the character(s) he played on the Colbert Report and Daily Show probably shouldn't even be trying to type the guy til they watch at least a couple out-of-character interviews.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Colbert: Classic ENTP. I think he's more 7w8 SP/SX. He's very playful and challenging.

Stewart: ENTP. Not sure enneatype
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com