User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I can tell you that I've listened to an inordinate amount of the podcasts and more importantly the old XFM radio shows.

The man is NOT a J type of any kind. He actually hates planning and has brought up his idea of never planning for anything multiple times, I know J's are not entirely about plans, but he lacks that structure they normally try to bring to their lives. He was often frequently late in the old XFM shows and it's something Ricky has brought up before.

Not to mention their irritation at his laziness. Incredibly relevant to this also is his dislike of structured events... Like Christmas and pancake day.

In his words : "Just have it when you want".

An idiot abroad is completely different to the format of XFM or the podcasts and in them you really get to see his ideas and thoughts bouncing around, something which both Ricky and Steve have mentioned many times.

I'm on my tablet at the moment and YouTube is pain with it, so I'm going to get some videos to back my points up on my PC.

And yes he does have routines, evidence for Si maybe, but not Si dominance. His reluctance to go outside his comfort zone can more easily be explained by Lenore Thompson's point about INP types using their tertiary as a defence mechanism so they aren't forced into using their Ne on themselves in the form of their own potential.

In the audiobook Law and Order he even complains that Ricky has picked topics that don't "buzz him'

Now this last part is perhaps an extrapolation on my part, but between the two I associate that with Ne more than Si. He also comes up with nearly all the competitions or segments on the XFM radio show:

Monkey news, cheeky freak of the week, educating Ricky.... I could also see ISTP. But not ISTJ. There's actually quite an important point Ricky makes in which he notices that Karl doesn't just dismiss any conversation no matter how farcical.

Something people don't often see is that in the early XFM shows he actually demonstrates quite a bit of quick wit at times...not to mention digs at Steve's looks. Actually I think him and Steve rub each other the wrong way a lot of the time.

Karl and Steve at each other

Planning:

Idea for overpopulation and aging:

Predictions for the future

Yes, you're right - Karl Pilkington is certainly not a TJ type. The reasons you mention are pretty good to show this. Also, I'd add that his Ti is very obvious - he builds his theories based on principles/"truths" he's discovered for himself, and has no interest in external validation for these principles, or in using an external model (Te). Also, his dislike of Christmas and similar traditional events could well be a sign of. repressing Fe. Yet another point: if he was an Si dom, I would expect him to have far more respect for, and a greater collection of, facts. Instead, he has no interest in raw factual data -at all - which makes it very unlikely he's an S dom (ISJ or ESP).

So ITP seems clear to me. However, I'd go for ISTP over INTP. He's never showed any sign of Ne in interviews - in fact he comes off as an ISTP stereotype almost. I'm willing to change my mind though. I'll have another listen to the XFM shows soon.

Infinite Bubble

All conjecture and personal interpretation and confirmation bias (myself included in fact) - why these threads are useless if taken too seriously.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    All conjecture and personal interpretation and confirmation bias (myself included in fact) - why these threads are useless if taken too seriously.
    Yeah I ruined it for myself on that account.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Infinite Bubble

Yeah I ruined it for myself on that account.
    Sorry, I was not getting at anyone in particular.

MBTI
    ENTP

I disagree. If people would actually do a little research before posting, we would all come to some kind of agreement eventually. Just because many people don't understand what they are talking about, doesn't mean nobody does.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Sorry, I was not getting at anyone in particular.
    Ah no I didn't take it that way, but you brought up an important point.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Amalie Muller View Post
    I disagree. If people would actually do a little research before posting, we would all come to some kind of agreement eventually. Just because many people don't understand what they are talking about, doesn't mean nobody does.
    The theory itself lacks rigorous structure.

Ah no I didn't take it that way, but you brought up an important point.
    Oh good, I felt kinda bad afterwards.

MBTI
    ENTP

The theory itself lacks rigorous structure.

Oh good, I felt kinda bad afterwards.
    I don't think you can judge something you don't understand.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Amalie Muller View Post
    I don't think you can judge something you don't understand.
    That's a bit underwhelming.