User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shakespearean Characters MBTI (Two plays at a time currently, but feel free to add)

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm quite familiar with ExxJs giving soliloquies
    As in, you know ExxJs who tell you flat out about how much they talk to themselves? Because if you are there, or at least if they know you are, it's not a soliloquy.

That said, ExxJs may well give soliloquies. but saying

"Ok, he doesn't talk to PEOPLE much, but I mean, he is the epitomy of soliquoy and dramatic speeches"

as an argument for Hamlet being an E makes it sound as though soliloquies are exclusively, or at least mostly, the providence of Es. If that's true, forget classing Iago, MacBeth, or most of Shakespeare's other leads as Introverts: they all soliloquize right and left.

I feel soliloquies are useful for determining type due to their content, but not really based on the fact that a character does or does not give them.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

I was just pointing it out... not saying that it's exclusive... I collect ESFJ friends and have an ENFJ sister... all of them will talk to themselves when left alone (or when they don't realize that I'm there yet)
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I was just pointing it out... not saying that it's exclusive... I collect ESFJ friends and have an ENFJ sister... all of them will talk to themselves when left alone (or when they don't realize that I'm there yet)
    I still have a few ESFJs stored in the freezer from when I stocked up on rations during that whole Y2K scare.

They're compact, delicious and have no expiration date.

Senior Member Array chihuahuasrluv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    By this standard, no major Shakespearean characters are Introverts (especially not dramatic leads).

I've read Much Ado About Nothing, All's Well That Ends Well, MacBeth, Othello (probably my favorite), Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream (actually in a production of this) and The Tempest (also in a production of this). So I'm also out on Shylock. My knowledge of him is too peripheral and incomplete.
    Much Ado About Nothing? I loved that!

I'd love to see what types Benedick, Beatrice, and the rest of the cast would get

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Hamlet - ENFJ
    Richard III - INTJ
    Shylock - ISTJ?
    Hamlet- no E. infj or infp

Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no to-morrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace."
    — Sylvia Plath (The Bell Jar)

"Remember, remember, this is now, and now, and now. Live it, feel it, cling to it. I want to become acutely aware of all I’ve taken for granted."
    — Sylvia Plath

Quote Originally Posted by Ratsimoan View Post
    Hamlet- no E. infj or infp
    It's either one of these. He's focused on his ideals throughout the whole thing.

.. He definitely contemplates a lot, but almost everyone does that, don't they? At the very least, an ENFJ is the closest type to INFJ in functions, right? I think Hamlet, be it when he's sullen or affectionate, tends to have so much smothering Fe and over-the-top behavior that he's unbelievable. And those ideals he does have are all about improving other it his mother, his friends, or all of Denmark..but he goes about it in less unreserved way than an introvert would.

I'll cut this short, but he also has that ExFJ "good host" thing down pat too

. Array
    614 sx/so
    ESI Fi

I know this thread is old but I feel like there's a fundamental misunderstanding of the function of Hamlet's monologues throughout the play. Hamlet is playing at madness. He's pretending, and he mentions this several times:

"I am but mad north-north-west, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw."

"How strange or odd soe'er I bear myself
    (As I perchance hereafter shall think meet
    To put an antic disposition on
    That you, at such times seeing me, never shall—
    With arms encumbered thus, or this headshake,
    Or by pronouncing of some doubtful phrase,
    As “Well, well, we know,” or “We could an if we would,”
    Or “If we list to speak,” or “There be an if they might,”
    Or such ambiguous giving out—to note
    That you know aught of me. This not to do,
    So grace and mercy at your most need help you,

Obviously there's enough ambiguity to make it interesting. To make the audience wonder as well whether or not Hamlet truly is mad. But the audience is always a character of its own in Shakespeare's plays, and if the audience wasn't rather uncertain it really would be a poor antic. At the same time, Hamlet kills Polonius. He is grieving terribly for the death of his father and keenly feeling what he considers to be his mother's betrayal, since she married his uncle. And he has seen the ghost of his father, who has ordered him to take revenge. Hamlet is emotional, but smart. He knows he's in a tough spot and is being watched. He needs to find out a way to gather information and disarm people, make them underestimate him at the same time. And there is, of course, a lot of inner turmoil and a lot of uncertainty.

If you pay attention to "to be or not to be," Hamlet is not alone on stage during this monologue. Polonius and Claudius are on stage as well, and are spying on him. Ophelia is there as well. Hamlet knows he's being watched. So why would Hamlet give this monologue in this context? What's his motivation? What is he trying to do or get?

In terms of MBTI, since this is a type me thread and not a play analysis thread, I would go with INFJ for Hamlet, most likely.

Friar Laurence-ESFJ
    "You get killed... walk it off."- Captain America