User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    No she's S. In spite of everything she has been through, in spite of all the books she has written and the debates that she has participated in, she has not contributed anything idiosyncratic to the cause. Ns almost always do that.
    Why should she create something new, that's not the point. The point is that Ayaan looks beyond the facade, beyond the empty rules of the culture she has been brought up in (which are mostly related to Islam) and the empty rules of the Western culture she now lives in (which are mostly related to political correctness) That's Ni, figuring out if what is on the surface is in sync with what is unseen and pointing out double-standards and inconsistencies. So for example she complains about the Left in the US having a regular go at Christian fundamentalists but not daring in the name of cultural sensitivity/political correctness/whatever to criticise Islam and completely ignoring the fact that a lot of Muslim women living in Muslim countries are being treated like second-class citizens because of the teachings of Islam. She tries to point out the obvious that we as Westerners find difficult to see because we have been conditioned to think in terms of political correctness, "Oh my God, if I say anything against the teachings of Islam I am being racist/bigoted/intolerant." etc

I personally can completely relate to her way of seeing the world, of trying to find these gold nuggets of truth underneath the bullshit that we are each fed by our respective cultures and I think I can relate to her so much because we both share Ni. As a Christian I would just have as much respect for her if she suddenly started having a go at Christianity because judging by everything I have read from her she doesn't form her opinions lightly but researches things thoroughly and tries to get to the heart of the matter.

Member Array

By your definition, then I'm Ni as well.

Really, you don't have to be an N-dom to do what she has done. Once you are in the thick of a conflict and threatened on your life AND you see how 50% af the political groupings around you don't lift a finger to aid you, they you'll realize that something is wrong. That some people don't put their money where their mouth is. You don't have to be N to see that.

And I never saw pointing out contradictions as especially INFJ. Quite the opposite, actually. (Dante, Aquinas etc.)