User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 35

  1. #1

    Default The current Dalai Lama

    What do you guys think the current Dalai Lama's type is?

    The Website of The Office of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

    Keep in mind his philosophy is going to be Buddhist (or at least based on it).

    That doesn't indicate the type, however.

    I think when you see his mannerisms and the way he responds in interviews, you may get a clearer understanding of his personality.

    BBC - BBC Four - Audio Interviews - Dalai Lama

    YouTube - Dalai Lama Part I

    YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 1/4

    YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 2/4

    YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 3/4

    YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 4/4

    In addition, keep in mind english is not his first language.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2

    Default

    INFP
    I - Definitely does not need to get energy from outside of himself.
    N - Senses are not reliable source of information.
    F - Big time compassion.
    P - Flexibility, ability to go with the flow of life.

  3. #3
    Senior Member durentu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    413

    Default

    apart from what he talks about, he really likes to tinker with things. takes apart watches and sees how they work. he also studies in quantum mechanics and modern psychology.

    He strikes me as a rational mind more than anything.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    What do you guys think the current Dalai Lama's type is?

    The Website of The Office of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

    Keep in mind his philosophy is going to be Buddhist (or at least based on it).

    That doesn't indicate the type, however.

    I think when you see his mannerisms and the way he responds in interviews, you may get a clearer understanding of his personality.

    BBC - BBC Four - Audio Interviews - Dalai Lama

    YouTube - Dalai Lama Part I

    YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 1/4

    YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 2/4

    YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 3/4

    YouTube - Dalai Lama - The Four Noble Truths Part 4/4

    In addition, keep in mind english is not his first language.
    Some of those links have been removed, based on YouTube - Dalai Lama - Exclusive Interview 1 (ONE) on april 8th he appears to me to be an INTJ.

    But that's a preliminary take, not a definitive diagnosis...

  5. #5
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Dalai Lama is on CNN's Larry King right now. Rerun at 12 midnight.

  6. #6
    Babylon Candle Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    not trusting the senses is more of a Ni thing. Actually, reading any sort of Buddhist crap puts me in a more transcendental and Ni-ish state

  7. #7
    Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Type big fat greedy manipulative tyrant and fraud.

    There are also many less famous monks with far more insightful things to say than this guy, his advice is trite and predictable by comparison. Don't waste your time or money before you've done some real research.

    We'll probably never know his type because his entire public image is designed to distract Westerners from how much of a dick he is.
    Last edited by compulsiverambler; 02-23-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Typo

  8. #8
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    Type big fat greedy manipulative tryant and fraud.

    There are also many less famous monks with far more insightful things to say than this guy, his advice is trite and predictable by comparison. Don't waste your time or money before you've done some real research.

    We'll probably never know his type because his entire public image is designed to distract Westerners from how much of a dick he is.
    You should expand on this a little bit. Most Westerners think the Dalai Lama is a wholly compassionate entity, with little regard for materialistic pursuits (like furthering personal reputation, financial interests, etc.).

    Might make for an interesting discussion.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    Type big fat greedy manipulative tryant and fraud.

    There are also many less famous monks with far more insightful things to say than this guy, his advice is trite and predictable by comparison. Don't waste your time or money before you've done some real research.

    We'll probably never know his type because his entire public image is designed to distract Westerners from how much of a dick he is.
    Tyrant and fraud? Is that why he won the Nobel prize?

  10. #10
    Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xNTP View Post
    Tyrant and fraud? Is that why he won the Nobel prize?
    Is that an appeal to authority?

Similar Threads

  1. Big Brother USA (the current season)
    By Gyokukou Joutei in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 05:20 PM
  2. Evaluating sources of science facts and what is the current scientific viewpoint
    By ygolo in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 08:00 PM
  3. Could you pass the current U.S. Citizenship Test?
    By pure_mercury in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-23-2008, 05:26 PM
  4. Dalai Lama in Seattle
    By anii in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO