• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Possible Patronus forms for each of the MBTIs, as well as what your own would be

Pandar

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmm ... I'll take a stab at this, although I feel like this might just end up being a list of animals I think could be associated with each type ...

ESTJ - elephant
ESFJ - bear
ISTJ - badger?
ISFJ - gazelle

ENTJ - lion
ENTP - fox
INTJ - serpent
INTP - owl (I agree with JocktheMotie, owls do seem INTP-like ... although I think a giant amoeba patronus would be pretty awesome, too ... it could destroy dementors through phagocytosis!)

ESTP - stallion
ESFP - puppy dog
ISTP - hawk
ISFP - panda

ENFJ - panther
ENFP - dolphin
INFJ - swan
INFP - penguin (I just really like penguins :D)

Although I agree with some I am trying to figure out why INFJ's would be the swan. I think an INFJ would be like a domesticated house cat. As far as exotic animals go perhaps a manatee. -_-; Yeah I bet a dementor would be really freaked to see THAT coming after them. If I wanted to be really brave I would say I tiger cause a tiger can be aggressive when necessary and protective but is very family-cubs orientated and attentive.
-shrugs- Tigers are BAMF too... :D

Hmmm my own Patronus would probably be some kind of cat or a bunny.

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
Took the Patronus quiz and got this:

What's your Patronus?

Your Result: Your Patronus is a Hedgehog!

Bravery is your strong suit, and you are a kind creature to all, though your spiney exterior may make others think otherwise. You are proud of the strange parts of you that make you different!

HedgehogBNPS_450x300.jpg

Aww ... okay, I can do hedgehogs. :yes:

Otters are also quite an adorable option!

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
Although I agree with some I am trying to figure out why INFJ's would be the swan. I think an INFJ would be like a domesticated house cat.

I actually picked cat for INFJs first, but then thought it was too similar to the ENFJ's panther, so tried to find something different. I eventually landed on swan because they are graceful and elegant but also fierce :D but I do agree with cat, too!

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ok, so as personal as a Patronus would be, there would probably also be some correlation between this and MBTI if they weren't a fantasy creation. So, think of very happy memories people and let's have some fun with this, what do you reckon your own Patronus would be, and what animals do you think might turn up quite regularly for certain MBTIs? :cheese:

PS
Let's take the love induced Patronus forms outta this cos that gets personal, unless of course you'd like to share.

What is a "Patronus?"

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Wait... Aren't you confusing Patronuses with Animagus forms?

The Animagus takes on an animal that represents your character.
The Patronus takes on an animal that represents safety, protection... eg. for Harry it is the stag representing his father. Not an animal representing himself.

My Animagus has to have functional wings. Probably I'll be a Shoebill, as that's my totem.
Balaeniceps_rex_-San_Diego_Zoo-8.jpg

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nuh uh, Otter is too playful for INFP, otter could easily be ESFP. I still like wild forest cat for INFP, as they're both a bit playful, but also aloof around strangers and don't have their claws out in the open but they do have the option to use em :devil:

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Although the Patronus in some ways represents your individuality and personality traits, Tamske is quite right to assert that in essence, a Patronus is the embodiment of the most secure time in your life, and/or your basic survival ‘(animal’) instinct. An example of why it cannot possibly be considered to fully represent a person’s essential character is in the case of Remus, whose worst fear is the moon, and thus his Lycanthropy. If his Patronus represented his character, it would be difficult to imagine that it would embody something which his heart fights so hard against, and his Patronus would be something much gentler and more peaceful. The reason why Remus’ Patronus takes the form of a wolf is because regardless of how he feels about it, the wolf/werewolf is his basic survival instinct.
It is also possible that the trauma of being bitten at such a young age caused his Patronus to change into the only creature that could have protected him at the time, had it called Greyback away-a werewolf. However, since lack of life experience and power prevents such a young wizard from casting a fully corporeal Patronus, this would be impossible to confirm either way. The case of Harry is very similar, as since Patronus form is not hereditary, it is possible that the unconscious trauma caused by the murder of his parents forced his Patronus to take the form of his least vulnerable protector- his father, in a bid to almost subconsciously compensate for his loss. Since the Patronus is also largely based upon strong positive emotion to counteract the draining power of the Dementor(s)/ Lethifold(s), the Patronus can also represent (apart from in the case stated above) a time when a person felt most peaceful (for Harry this would be with his parents)
Other characters that suffer great trauma have this reflected in their Patronus, again as a sort of coping mechanism for loss of a beloved protector. Going chronologically, Snape’s beloved protector was Lily, who tirelessly attempted to put an end to his bullying, regardless of the fact that she knew he might turn to Voldemort after school. When his love got too hard for him to bear and he lashed out at her in an elitist manner, she cut all ties, and he had to watch James, his rival win her heart. He lost her completely, breaking his heart and changing his Patronus.
Tonks has/had two beloved protectors with similar Patronus forms, the people whom she lost (or thought she lost) within a fairly contained period of time. She of course was very close to Sirius, and the joint devastation of herself and his best friend brought them together, yet still her Patronus did not change at this point. The catalyst for her change of Patronus was Remus rejecting her love initially, because he thought he posed too much of a threat to her in his Werewolf state, and was worried about causing a rift between herself and her family, hence again, the Patronus took the form of the desire to bring back the protectors who made her happiest, as with Harry and Snape.
In conclusion, the Patronus of a wizard/witch with a fairly uncomplicated life would take the form of whichever animal your subconscious would feel most comfortable being protected by (Which is where the 16 MBTI types might come into play.) Since no wizard/witch has exactly the same Patronus form, the individualistic part, influenced by your personality, would manifest in how your Labrador (example) looked very different from every other Labrador Patronus ever conjured.

Sorry that was so long....I am not sure if you can relate to it, but please feel free to comment :)

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
Wait... Aren't you confusing Patronuses with Animagus forms?

The Animagus takes on an animal that represents your character.
The Patronus takes on an animal that represents safety, protection... eg. for Harry it is the stag representing his father. Not an animal representing himself.

Aha! I thought I was getting the definition of Patronus wrong, but couldn't remember what made a Patronus different from an animal that represents a person's character. Thanks for clearing that up.

Hmm ... so if we were to try to figure out type-related Patronuses, do you think the Patronus would be similar to a type's shadow? Is it possible to figure out an animal that represents safety and protection for an entire type? :thinking:

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Not for an entire type, no...but it would be interesting to get different type perspectives on which would be their most trusted animal as a protector, remembering that you have to have a degree of rapour/psychic link with the animal to be able to get it to do what you want it to do (Dumbledore used his to send messages, as well as a defense mechanism :) )

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Should I oust this patronus thread and start a new one, I shouldn't have assumed lotsa people would know about the protector thing right away, I'd put the decent quotes and info from people in the new opening thread...Or should we just keep this one?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ohhh, then I retract my choice and change it to Tiger. I'll keep the wild forest cat for the Animagus-thread ;)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*ponders*

Here's a theory:

If you are in fact a soft-natured person, let's say an INFP, and your animagus embodies that by say being a Bunny (going for the cliche here :D), would that person feel most safe by having an aggressive patronus? Like for instance a Bear?

And, vice versa. Is the person who identifies with a Tiger more likely to feel safe in the sweet, gentle nature of say a Deer?

I know for my own choices, I'm likely to be cuddly kitten with the occasional accidental sharp claw lash out. But most people aren't exactly impressed by me getting huffy puffy. Unless I actually get so hurt that I focus and unleash, which is really rare. The times I've felt most safe though, was when I was in the presence of (usually a guy) someone who had a really strong independent, no-nonsense, almost predatorial feel. Something about...not being in front of them but behind them that makes you feel like whatever comes your way isn't going to be as bad as the thing on your side :D

And, when I do pass that point where I either lash back or get hurt beyond the point of return, I do use them as a model..I hate myself for doing it afterwards, feel immensely guilty, but I go back to what they taught me.

And it would seem that when someone who actually *is* independent and able to defend themselves in hard circumstances is likely to have vulnerabilities of a different nature, for example, by being more in need of peace, soothing, unwinding? It would then stand to reason that when they feel under attack, and they're in over their head, they would be attracted to something that would tend to those needS?

gromit

likes this
Nuh uh, Otter is too playful for INFP, otter could easily be ESFP. I still like wild forest cat for INFP, as they're both a bit playful, but also aloof around strangers and don't have their claws out in the open but they do have the option to use em :devil:

I think I recall Hermione's patronus as an otter...

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Hmmm, Luna's (INFP) Patronus is a hare, which is not dissimilar to a bunny.... I'm not sure because Patronus forms are largely subconscious, but for each of the types, and more specifically each individual, I reckon it would be an animal which they could conceivably control, but that covers some of the weaknesses and insecurities of said person...A hare for example is always very alert, and energetic, Luna isn't, yet she might not feel like the mistress of a bigger animal with a similar temprament as she is fairly calm and spacey.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think I recall Hermione's patronus as an otter...

Makes sense, if we look at the now corrected definition of a patronus (I always did find that weird, but I only watched the movies and it isn't really that clear in those what a patronus is).

Hermione has got one HUGE pole stuck up her ass. She's always serious, always working, always getting things done. It would stand to reason that she would need/feel safe in a place where she doesn't have to do any of those things and gets to be playful for a change :)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmmm, Luna's (INFP) Patronus is a hare, which is not dissimilar to a bunny.... I'm not sure because Patronus forms are largely subconscious, but for each of the types, and more specifically each individual, I reckon it would be an animal which they could conceivably control, but that covers some of the weaknesses and insecurities of said person...A hare for example is always very alert, and energetic, Luna isn't, yet she might not feel like the mistress of a bigger animal with a similar temprament as she is fairly calm and spacey.

But Luna rarely feels intimidated or threatened by anything either, so I doubt she needs a big scary animal to protect her :D
I think Luna enjoys the idea of being able to run. The world finds Luna weird, and she's forced to deal with that *every* single day. The Hare lets her run free, lets her escape that world with rules and regulations for expected behavior. It gives her freedom.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Hmm, my animagus might be an owl...but I find safety and solace in knowledge and wisdom, which is...an owl :cheese:

I don't know.