• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Captain Jack Aubrey

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me and a friend have a bit of an argument of that. he thinks Jack is ESTJ, I think he's a clear ENTJ (Because really, would an ESTJ ever think of building an improvised decoy to get the Acheron off their asses?). Anyone have some feedback on that?

heart

heart on fire
Why J?

Hornblower in the novels seemed INTJ

Captain Richard Bolitho seemed ENFJ (Alexander Kent's series)

But Aubery (in the novels) seems ETP to me.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't read the novels actually, but in the movie he's a definite ExTJ. He's driven (stubbornly so, even), and a very good commander. A P would not have followed the Acheron halfway into the Pacific despite a damaged mast and a crew at the razor's edge of committing mutiny.

heart

heart on fire
I haven't read the novels actually, but in the movie he's a definite ExTJ. He's driven (stubbornly so, even), and a very good commander. A P would not have followed the Acheron halfway into the Pacific despite a damaged mast and a crew at the razor's edge of committing mutiny.

Respectfully that sounds like stereotyping P as lacking will. P's have will in regards to things that matter most to them. Captain J. Kirk's persona is fashioned after Aubrey, btw.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Respectfully that sounds like stereotyping P as lacking will. P's have will in regards to things that matter most to them.
I can only speak from personal experience, but if something gets too hard it almost never continues to hold my interest. In any case, what is MBTI if not stereotyping?

I, further, can't really see any indication whatsoever of him being a P. He is,

-Decisive.
-Determined, as I already mentioned.
-Command-driven.
-A meticulous planner. When he figured out the Acheron couldn't be brought down by normal means, he started treating the chase as a chess game.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
He seems like a classic opportunistic, dynamic, rather hot-headed ESTP to me. He lives in the moment, frequently acts on impulse, sometimes to his own detriment, tends to indulge his sensual pleasures when he gets the chance, and is skilled at taking opportunities as they come along, reacting quickly and decisively to unexpected events to turn the tide of battle in his favour. For example, his capture of a Spanish frigate with his undermanned, damaged sloop (don't remember the book or the names offhand, just the event) comes across as a classic piece of sucessful ESTP con-artistry - he wins the battle through sheer bluff, impulsivity, and ability to read the situation as it unfolds and improvise a plan accordingly.

He sabotages his career on several separate occasions through impulsive behaviour, and apparant lack of concern for the consequences of upsetting his superiors and rivals, but eventually through ability and a certain amount of luck gets it back on track. He's a relatively easygoing commander, who always seeks to encourage his men and stimulate their enthusiasm where possible and tap into their competitive natures rather than enforce rigid discipline. I could go on, but this is getting boring, especially when it's a long time since I've read the novels. I have a hard time seing him as any type but ESTP though.