• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Breaking Bad

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=8031]Ginkgo[/MENTION]

Ok I'm now on season 3 and it looks like Walter is 6w5 sp/sx, not sp/so. He has these ridiculous impulses to do crazy shit all the time, but yet most of the time he wants to stay safe. These types are traits are common with the sp/sx 6, and not really that much with the sp/so 6. The sp/so 6's just want to stay safe most of the time, whereas the sp/sx 6's want to stay safe, but then have insane impulses to do crazy shit and often act upon them like Walter does. Also he seems to be much more intense and into his relationship in the 3rd season. Finally after careful review, Walter never seems to use SO EVER! I'm going with sp/sx for him.
[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION] [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]

Yeah so far I'm seeing Gus as an INFJ as well, but I think he uses strong Ti.

Starry

[MENTION=8031]Ginkgo[/MENTION]

Ok I'm now on season 3 and it looks like Walter is 6w5 sp/sx, not sp/so. He has these ridiculous impulses to do crazy shit all the time, but yet most of the time he wants to stay safe. These types are traits are common with the sp/sx 6, and not really that much with the sp/so 6. The sp/so 6's just want to stay safe most of the time, whereas the sp/sx 6's want to stay safe, but then have insane impulses to do crazy shit and often act upon them like Walter does. Also he seems to be much more intense and into his relationship in the 3rd season. Finally after careful review, Walter never seems to use SO EVER! I'm going with sp/sx for him.
[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION] [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]

Yeah so far I'm seeing Gus as an INFJ as well, but I think he uses strong Ti.

I've actually never considered enneagram typings for the Breaking Bad characters, but I'm inclined to agree with you... as in I think you've probably nailed it here with regards to Walter White. My only hesitation is due to the fact I see a hell of a lot of e1 in this character as well...and since I'm not very knowledgeable as to what levels of expression can and cannot be attributed to 'fix-this' and 'fix-that'... well, that's why this post isn't full of "Zomg TOTALLY!!!" s

I don't know how often writers use enneagram theory when creating characters haha! But I do know writers frequently base their characters on people that they have known in real life. And the only reason I'm mentioning this is because it has crossed my mind...maybe the character is based on an e1 and the actor is a 6w7 like actors often are. Walter's original decision to start making meth... that behavior/action is so e1 to me I can't even tell you. Like, I've seen my IxTJ e1 sister do the same exact thing just in less significant more temporary ways. But because of e1s connection to e7...if the pressure builds and builds...they will reach the 'fuck this shit!' point. They'll think 'I have followed the rules my whole life...and now that I've totally mentally cracked...I'm going to start making crack!' <--haha no... I'm going to be completely reckless and do only for me (and loved ones if sx is in the dom or aux position.)

Since I agree with you as to sp/sx <--my only thought is that 'counterphobic episodes' could not sustain this 'fuck it' state like an unhealthy connection to e7. iow, an e6 sp/sx would be phobic...and could enter into these 'fuck it' states...but would fairly quickly revert back (I'm talking like within a couple of hours) into a phobic state and either isolate themselves...or start reaching out to the herd for reassurance. It's weird because now that I'm typing out all this nonsense haha... now I'm totally leaning 1w9 sp/sx...but this could all change for me in a few minutes or two. /head type

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not going to lie, Walter pisses me off so much in this show lol but it's a fantastic series.

lol me too. possibly even more than Skyler. and i like jesse pretty much. :)
i thought Jane was INFP though? i'm still at the end of series 2 though...

R

Riva

I thought ww was a classic 5w6 so/sp but 6w5 make sense too, though he isn't phobic or counterphobic. So i'm still inclined to type him as an intj 5w6 so/sp (strong on the wing 6). He is quite the obvious e5w6. (Observant, data oriented, informative rather than philosophical unlike the w4 counterpart.) His anxiousness is not his driving force. Compare him to lydia who is an obvious e6 and is entirely driven on anxiety. Ww on the otherhand is driven for knowledge and his e6 makes him more observan therefore anxious than philosophical. So i'm going back to my initial typing of him to intj 5w6 so/sp. Also he is not a sp dom. He wasn't concerned about sp needs at all till he got the cancer, which made it a must for him to do so. Also I don't see sx anywhere near him. [MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]

R

Riva

Ww and gus are a good duo to compare. Both are intjs but clearly different e types. Gus could also be a 5w6 with a 8w9 tritype. A 5w6-8w9-2w? Maybe? And I think he is a sp/so. He again like ww hasn't got any sx at all. He is driven by self preservation.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I've actually never considered enneagram typings for the Breaking Bad characters, but I'm inclined to agree with you... as in I think you've probably nailed it here with regards to Walter White. My only hesitation is due to the fact I see a hell of a lot of e1 in this character as well...and since I'm not very knowledgeable as to what levels of expression can and cannot be attributed to 'fix-this' and 'fix-that'... well, that's why this post isn't full of "Zomg TOTALLY!!!" s

I don't know how often writers use enneagram theory when creating characters haha! But I do know writers frequently base their characters on people that they have known in real life. And the only reason I'm mentioning this is because it has crossed my mind...maybe the character is based on an e1 and the actor is a 6w7 like actors often are. Walter's original decision to start making meth... that behavior/action is so e1 to me I can't even tell you. Like, I've seen my IxTJ e1 sister do the same exact thing just in less significant more temporary ways. But because of e1s connection to e7...if the pressure builds and builds...they will reach the 'fuck this shit!' point. They'll think 'I have followed the rules my whole life...and now that I've totally mentally cracked...I'm going to start making crack!' <--haha no... I'm going to be completely reckless and do only for me (and loved ones if sx is in the dom or aux position.)

Since I agree with you as to sp/sx <--my only thought is that 'counterphobic episodes' could not sustain this 'fuck it' state like an unhealthy connection to e7. iow, an e6 sp/sx would be phobic...and could enter into these 'fuck it' states...but would fairly quickly revert back (I'm talking like within a couple of hours) into a phobic state and either isolate themselves...or start reaching out to the herd for reassurance. It's weird because now that I'm typing out all this nonsense haha... now I'm totally leaning 1w9 sp/sx...but this could all change for me in a few minutes or two. /head type

I don't think that Walter is a core 1 and to tell the truth, I don't even think that the character is even 1 fixed. I believe that Walter has a 9w8(sw8w7) gut fix. In the first season people would just fuck with him all the time and he would just do nothing about it because he wanted to avoid confrontation. However, when he would handle confrontation he would just absolutely "hulk-out" so to say and just explode on them completely. As the seasons progress the character gets harder and harder because is 8 wing is growing stronger in order to adapt to his dangerous, drug dealing, environment. 1 fixers are not really like this, the 1 fixers handle confrontation immediately and let people immediately know where they stand. They don't really avoid confrontation like a 9 fixer, and they certaintly don't just explode on someone out of nowhere.

I thought ww was a classic 5w6 so/sp but 6w5 make sense too, though he isn't phobic or counterphobic. So i'm still inclined to type him as an intj 5w6 so/sp (strong on the wing 6). He is quite the obvious e5w6. (Observant, data oriented, informative rather than philosophical unlike the w4 counterpart.) His anxiousness is not his driving force. Compare him to lydia who is an obvious e6 and is entirely driven on anxiety. Ww on the otherhand is driven for knowledge and his e6 makes him more observan therefore anxious than philosophical. So i'm going back to my initial typing of him to intj 5w6 so/sp. Also he is not a sp dom. He wasn't concerned about sp needs at all till he got the cancer, which made it a must for him to do so. Also I don't see sx anywhere near him. [MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]

No Walter is a clear 6w5. The man is just way too reactive to a be a core 5w6. 5w6's withdraw under stress, and 6w5's react. Also, how can you possibly say he's not counter-phobic? He does stupid, crazy, shit all the time. Remember season 1 where he goes to visit Tuco and he throws explosives through the window to convince Tuco that he's not a pussy? Also remember season 3 where he literally goes off on the cop and tells him to "Kiss his ass" and gets arrested? Finally, remember when he goes into Skylar's workplace and picks up a plant and starts trying to bash down the window with it? That's counter-phobia at it's best. I will admit though that his second variant isn't very strong whether it is sp/sx or sp/so. I just don't see any SO in him. I think that you are right about Gus though, I agree that he's 5w6 sp/so.

S

Stansmith

[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]

I think Walt started off as predominantly phobic and then (naturally) got more Counterphobic as time went on. Dude was a huge wuss in season 1. Keep in mind that most people saw him as a pretty gentle guy before he got into the meth business.

Starry

I don't think that Walter is a core 1 and to tell the truth, I don't even think that the character is even 1 fixed. I believe that Walter has a 9w8(sw8w7) gut fix. In the first season people would just fuck with him all the time and he would just do nothing about it because he wanted to avoid confrontation. However, when he would handle confrontation he would just absolutely "hulk-out" so to say and just explode on them completely. As the seasons progress the character gets harder and harder because is 8 wing is growing stronger in order to adapt to his dangerous, drug dealing, environment. 1 fixers are not really like this, the 1 fixers handle confrontation immediately and let people immediately know where they stand. They don't really avoid confrontation like a 9 fixer, and they certaintly don't just explode on someone out of nowhere.

I'm not opposed to Walter as 6w5 sp/sx. I would just be interested in knowing how a counterphobic state could last that long in a phobic individual. <--stupid ass writers leaving gaping holes in the back-story like that. How about makin this believable people huh? Ha.

fwiw though...the bolded describes nearly every e1 I've ever encountered.

S

Stansmith

I'm not opposed to Walter as 6w5 sp/sx. I would just be interested in knowing how a counterphobic state could last that long in a phobic individual. <--stupid ass writers leaving gaping holes in the back-story like that. How about makin this believable people huh? Ha.

I mean, once he got his first kill it was pretty much a routine thing from then on, and even then, he never really came off as an impulsive murderer until much later in the series. Hes always planning, panicking and troubleshooting to the point of hysteria before he goes into action (until maybe season 5). 6 anxiety (like most anxiety) becomes less inhibiting with enough exposure to a specific situation.

S

Stansmith

Season 1: Phobic

Seasons 2-4: Phobic mixed with counterphobic and 3-ish disintegration

Season 5: Full-on counterphobic, plus heavy disintegration to 3

I could totally see myself acting like S1 Walt if I somehow got myself into the meth business.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

Interesting. I really don't know much about the 1 confrontation method.

R

Riva

I don't think that Walter is a core 1 and to tell the truth, I don't even think that the character is even 1 fixed. I believe that Walter has a 9w8(sw8w7) gut fix. In the first season people would just fuck with him all the time and he would just do nothing about it because he wanted to avoid confrontation. However, when he would handle confrontation he would just absolutely "hulk-out" so to say and just explode on them completely. As the seasons progress the character gets harder and harder because is 8 wing is growing stronger in order to adapt to his dangerous, drug dealing, environment. 1 fixers are not really like this, the 1 fixers handle confrontation immediately and let people immediately know where they stand. They don't really avoid confrontation like a 9 fixer, and they certaintly don't just explode on someone out of nowhere. No Walter is a clear 6w5. The man is just way too reactive to a be a core 5w6. 5w6's withdraw under stress, and 6w5's react. Also, how can you possibly say he's not counter-phobic? He does stupid, crazy, shit all the time. Remember season 1 where he goes to visit Tuco and he throws explosives through the window to convince Tuco that he's not a pussy? Also remember season 3 where he literally goes off on the cop and tells him to "Kiss his ass" and gets arrested? Finally, remember when he goes into Skylar's workplace and picks up a plant and starts trying to bash down the window with it? That's counter-phobia at it's best. I will admit though that his second variant isn't very strong whether it is sp/sx or sp/so. I just don't see any SO in him. I think that you are right about Gus though, I agree that he's 5w6 sp/so.
Okay fine you sold me on 6w5 matter. Sometimes I confuse 6w5 with 5w6 so doms. 6w5s are a bit more socially conscious/anxious/concerned than 5w6s and 5w6 so doms are much much more conc/anx about where they socially stand than rest of the variants. So yes 6w5 it probably is and a phobic one at first. I'm having a hard time seeing him as an sx dom and since you haven't suggested that either I think we can ignore it. What you suggested next which I failed to agree on is sp/so. Sp/sos have an unmistakeable politician vibe. They obviously care to know where they stand in a group and are extremely financially (sp) concerned in a way as to how it appears to others. Don't know whether you've noticed that? Walt does NOT have that vibe at all. (Don't drag his chemical business concerns/talks here because that's more personal hurt than any need to 'show off'.) So if he is an sp dom he is definitely an sp/sx. HOWEVER (i want you to address this point more than any other) he seems more expressive than ixtxs i've seen and imagine to be.

R

Riva

When I think of ixtx sp/sxs I think of characters like mystique (in the 1st three movies), blondie (the good, the bad and the ugly) and indiana jones (he's probably an sx dom?). When I mean less facially expressive I mean less excitable, animated etc especially for an introverted thinking type.

I'm beginning to think that sx doms are the hardest to spot.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I think of ixtx sp/sxs I think of characters like mystique (in the 1st three movies), blondie (the good, the bad and the ugly) and indiana jones (he's probably an sx dom?). When I mean less facially expressive I mean less excitable, animated etc especially for an introverted thinking type.

I'm beginning to think that sx doms are the hardest to spot.

oooh i don't think so. not for me.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Okay fine you sold me on 6w5 matter. Sometimes I confuse 6w5 with 5w6 so doms. 6w5s are a bit more socially conscious/anxious/concerned than 5w6s and 5w6 so doms are much much more conc/anx about where they socially stand than rest of the variants. So yes 6w5 it probably is and a phobic one at first. I'm having a hard time seeing him as an sx dom and since you haven't suggested that either I think we can ignore it. What you suggested next which I failed to agree on is sp/so. Sp/sos have an unmistakeable politician vibe. They obviously care to know where they stand in a group and are extremely financially (sp) concerned in a way as to how it appears to others. Don't know whether you've noticed that? Walt does NOT have that vibe at all. (Don't drag his chemical business concerns/talks here because that's more personal hurt than any need to 'show off'.) So if he is an sp dom he is definitely an sp/sx. HOWEVER (i want you to address this point more than any other) he seems more expressive than ixtxs i've seen and imagine to be.

No you're mistaken. It's the so/sp types that come off like politicians, but sometimes sp/so with strong SO can come off like that too. Personally, I believe Walter to be sp/sx, not only for the reasons that I described previously pertaining to the phobia and counter-phobia, but for one other reason as well. Walter seems to have trouble interacting with people that he dislikes. Now of course, most people don't like to interact with people that they dislike, but it effects people with sx in their stack more than most. It's like the character just can't be around people that he doesn't vibe with.

The best example of this that I saw is when he was working in that lab with that professional chemist with a master's degree. The guy was proper, on point, and highly efficient. The guy was a damn good lab assistant overall. However, Walter kicked him to the curb and when the guy asked why, Walter said something to the effect of, "It's like I'm classical and you're Jazz, and classical just doesn't work well with Jazz." To me Walter was basically saying that he didn't "vibe" well with him, and this seems to be an sx thing. People who aren't sx last (depending on the degree of their sx) hate to be around people that they don't like.

It could be argued however, that the reason that he kicked him to the curb was because he fucked up that one big batch of meth by setting it to the wrong temperature. However, look at how many times Jesse fucked up, and yet Walter still keeps him around. I don't think that the fucked up batch of meth, is the reason that he fired em.

R

Riva

No you're mistaken. It's the so/sp types that come off like politicians, but sometimes sp/so with strong SO can come off like that too.

SP/SO maybe sounds a bit more professional. No arguments there.

Personally, I believe Walter to be sp/sx, not only for the reasons that I described previously pertaining to the phobia and counter-phobia, but for one other reason as well.

No arguments here.

Walter seems to have trouble interacting with people that he dislikes. Now of course, most people don't like to interact with people that they dislike, but it effects people with sx in their stack more than most. It's like the character just can't be around people that he doesn't vibe with.

On the contrary he seems to have no issues at all in this area. I have seen people who are worse off and WW is no where near them.

The best example of this that I saw is when he was working in that lab with that professional chemist with a master's degree. The guy was proper, on point, and highly efficient. The guy was a damn good lab assistant overall. However, Walter kicked him to the curb and when the guy asked why, Walter said something to the effect of, "It's like I'm classical and you're Jazz, and classical just doesn't work well with Jazz." To me Walter was basically saying that he didn't "vibe" well with him, and this seems to be an sx thing. People who aren't sx last (depending on the degree of their sx) hate to be around people that they don't like.

Bad example. If i am not mistaken he was kicked out because he wanted Jesse back in the team. He was using the different vibe theory as an excuse. A way to be polite in getting him fired and to make sense of what he was doing.

It could be argued however, that the reason that he kicked him to the curb was because he fucked up that one big batch of meth by setting it to the wrong temperature. However, look at how many times Jesse fucked up, and yet Walter still keeps him around. I don't think that the fucked up batch of meth, is the reason that he fired em.

No like I said above he kicked him off because he needed Jesse back in the team because Jesse was going to sue Hank for nearly killing him and the only way to get him to stop was to get him to work in the lab so that he would get paid again.

He didn't mess up the big batch, it was obvious he was looking for an excuse to get mad at him.

At this point I don't know whether you have a bad memory or whether you don't understand whats going on in the show or you suck at reading body language.

But thanks for all the infor regarding the variants. I learned from you.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
izUI4FAI0c8H4.gif

S

Stansmith

Huell: ENFP 7w6 or 9w1 - 9w1 or 7w6 - 2w1 Sp/Sx

Nazi Boss: ESTP 9w8 - 7w8 - 4w5 Sx/Sp

Gomez: INFJ 9w1 - 3w2 - 6w5 So/Sp

Walt Jr: ISFP 9w1 - 6w7 - 2w1 So/Sx