• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Breaking Bad

thirtiesgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Gah, I love this show and can't wait until it comes back next season. From what I know of INTJs and ISFPs (which, admittedly, isn't a whole lot), I'd agree that Walter and Jesse fall under these categorizations.

...Plus, I just think Bryan Cranston's kinda hott, but that's just me. ...Sorry. Doesn't really have anything to do with the thread. Hehe.

thirtiesgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Jesse a T? don't think so. I think Walter Jr is an F as well.

Walter White: henpecked husband
Skyler White: shrew
Walter Jr: special
Hank: arsehole
Marie: kleptomaniac, possible sociopath
Jesse Pinkman: junkie
Tuco: psycho
Gretchen: pretentious bitch

Wow. I can see you're quite the ladies' man. :rolli:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm watching season 3 finally and this show is amazing

Walt: INTJ
Skyler: ENFJ
Walt Jr: ISFP? i don't know he's really hard to type
Hank: ESTP
Jesse: eSFP, seems more introverted now because he's depressed
Gale: INTP
Gus: INFJ

i just watched the scene where gus invites walt over for dinner, and the conversation they have about the senses and memory showed INFJ and INTJ together really well to me. they're both discussing the senses in an abstract Ni kind of way, but the way they approach it is so different. and gus is too smooth to be an INTJ, Fe over Fi.

redacted

i'm watching season 3 finally and this show is amazing

Walt: INTJ
Skyler: ENFJ
Walt Jr: ISFP? i don't know he's really hard to type
Jesse: eSFP, seems more introverted now because he's depressed
Gale: INTP
Gus: INFJ

i just watched the scene where gus invites walt over for dinner, and the conversation they have about the senses and memory showed INFJ and INTJ together really well to me. they're both discussing the senses in an abstract Ni kind of way, but the way they approach it is so different. and gus is too smooth to be an INTJ, Fe over Fi.

Too smooth to be INTJ? Really?

I agree with all your typings except that one.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah. I can't see Gus as INFJ. Dude does some pretty cruel, business-minded things, and he knows they're cruel or wrong. He gets close to folks, perhaps, but only so he can know them well enough to be A) sure he is in no danger or B) knows how he can deal with/manipulate them.

Gus is what Walt could one day be if he keeps down his increasingly morally ambiguous path. The morality and genuine human connection is fully dead, but the profit and manipulation are fully realized. Both are INTJ.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Why do you think that Walt Jr. is a T?

The other kids were doing it, so I did too.

But if I have to make an argument, it's "Flynn"'s ability to navigate through his mother's nonsense and to do a kind of wary, respectful, not-sure-yet nothing with his father's nonsense. Junior and Senior look like two different T's trying, and failing, to communicate feeling, whereas Junior and Skylar are fairly effortlessly able to get one another though not necessarily agree and not necessarily support. Which suggests to me INTP over INFP. Otherwise, yeah, Walt Jr is somewhat emo.

Yeah. I can't see Gus as INFJ. Dude does some pretty cruel, business-minded things, and he knows they're cruel or wrong. He gets close to folks, perhaps, but only so he can know them well enough to be A) sure he is in no danger or B) knows how he can deal with/manipulate them.

What part of that isn't INFJ? :D

Gus is what Walt could one day be if he keeps down his increasingly morally ambiguous path.

Gus is successful. That's not what Walt is going to be.

The morality and genuine human connection is fully dead, but the profit and manipulation are fully realized.

If feeling exists under thinking in an INTJ, then an INTJ doesn't grow into manipulations and profiteering by killing of conscience--he's born directly into strategy and conscience appears later. But an INFJ would have to kill off conscience to be like Gus. And, perhaps, they'd even look like Gus--wear a rubber mask that directly warns people he doesn't care.

Not that I'd say for sure Gus is INFJ. Just that there's something not right about him as INTJ. Something about how Gus'd be more impressed with himself if he were INTJ. Gus maintains a mask. All. The. Time. He never lets it down, ever. It's got to be extremely taxing, unless it's part of his personality and to take it down would be worse than keeping it.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Gus is successful. That's not what Walt is going to be.

Spoilers here!

Two things keep Walt from being totally successful at the meth business: his connection/willingness to sacrifice for Jesse, and arguably the same trait, but applied to his family. If he didn't push for Jesse and kill those thugs for him, Walt would have been totally fine, even better off, this season. In fact it's been Jesse that risked the first connect with Gus, whom feel for Jane (who blackmailed him) whose slips caused the first two dealers to attack in the first episode, who caused the RV to run out of juice, stranding them in the desert. But Walt cares for him at his own detriment. Pretty much the only situation I don't think you can put Jesse more or less at fault for is Tuco, and even then he messed up slipping Tuco the Ricin discreetly, which would've probably spared them the wrath of the cousins. It's one of the sympathetic traits Walt has left, but without it he'd be making millions with no conflict. He may even be on the fast path to take over the meth game one day.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Mild Spoilers included.

Kafkaesque

Jessie: Say he's getting 40 a pound. 200 pounds a week. For three months. And like, what happens at the, the end of the three months?
Walter: ...
Jessie: Look whate-whatever. Two hundred pounds a week for three months. That's 24 hundred pounds. 24 hundred times forty thousand is, and I swear to God, I checked this like ten times--
Walter: Ninety six million dollars.
Jessie: Ninety six million dollars. All right? Ninety six. Million. Ninety six to our three. That is messed up, yo.

And the next episode is The Fly. Now, the events of The Fly come about for any number of reasons, but one of them is a particular cognitive pressure Walt is choosing to work under, the one where he avoids addressing his intuitions or where he finds himself not immediately aware of how to address them and chooses to bury them. Longer term success for Walt is going to depend on how well he ends up making a match between his inner world and the outer world, and for as long as he keeps burying those intuitions, he isn't making that match up. He is, instead, playing by rules and conditions set by other people. In particular, for much of season three he is playing by the rule that somehow there exists some kind of respect between himself and Gus. But what is his intuition telling him? What did it tell him when Jessie offhandedly brought up a vital point in Walt's future, the end of the three month contract? Does Walt really believe that he can become the ISTJ clone he has most of his life attempted to be? Does he truly think there can be a good future for him in Gus' organization if only he works well and keeps his word?

True success for Walt probably means destruction for everyone else. The interesting thing is Walt probably cannot step away from that fact even if he becomes truly aware of it. He's going to have to find the path through it all because he can't take all the destruction on himself and, for example, suicide, because he'll count that as a failure, and he can't just begin destroying things, because other people will bring their forces to bear and stop him from succeeding. He'll need to create something sufficiently immovable, and sufficiently open and plain to see, that others--Gus and Skylar--will exhaust themselves bringing their overwhelming force to bear upon it in attempts to change or alter or stop what Walt can do. Has he begun doing that? He isn't a match for Gus or even Skylar yet. And possibly wasn't ever going to be.

Woohoo, rootin' for the bad guy! Imagine all the innocent people he's going to take with him!

Illmatic

Walt is a definatly a N. He is doing all this shit so he can leave things behind for his family in the future when he is gone.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Looking at this thread again after the Season 4 premiere a couple nights ago (and it was a pretty good one). I noticed that some people type Jane, Jesse's old girlfriend, as INTP. Not sure if she is, but if that's accurate then...

(SPOILERS, HIGHLIGHT TO READ)

Between her and Gale the Breaking Bad people really love offing the token INTP at the end of the season

Last edited:

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Sorry, but I don't read all posts because I don't want spoiler, I am only at episode 3x02.
But I think Walter White is an ISTJ, not INTJ.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Just started watching this show on Netflix.

I'm just now starting Season 2.

What a fucking show, eh?

Haven't watched much TV since high school, but this show is the shit.

The only typings I really feel good about are:

Skyler: ENFJ (and what a horribly annoying cunt she can be... makes my hair stand on end at times)

I'm kinda surprised everyone's saying Walter is an INTJ.

I actually agree with Malcontent: I think he's an ISTJ...

Most of the other characters aren't developed enough, imo, at least not yet...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Not even Jesse?

I saw some people said ISTP above...

That doesn't really irk me or anything, which is usually a good sign...

But is he really that much more of an introvert than an extrovert?

Doesn't seem too self-aware... (not that all introverts are, I suppose)...

I dunno, ISTP doesn't bother me, nor would xSTP...

I guess I usually just think of Ti-dom's as being smarter than his dumbass...

I suppose he could just be a low-IQ ISTP or xSTP...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Not even Jesse?

Wait, what did you think of Walter being an ISTJ vs an INTJ?

He just... he doesn't seem to have that (in French accent) force of an INTJ...

He seems to be a lot more of a Si kinda guy, if you ask me...

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I saw some people said ISTP above...

That doesn't really irk me or anything, which is usually a good sign...

But is he really that much more of an introvert than an extrovert?

Doesn't seem too self-aware... (not that all introverts are, I suppose)...

I dunno, ISTP doesn't bother me, nor would xSTP...

I guess I usually just think of Ti-dom's as being smarter than his dumbass...

I suppose he could just be a low-IQ ISTP or xSTP...

Oh, he's almost certainly xSFP in my opinion. I'd guess ESFP over ISFP.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Wait, what did you think of Walter being an ISTJ vs an INTJ?

He just... he doesn't seem to have that (in French accent) force of an INTJ...

He seems to be a lot more of a Si kinda guy, if you ask me...

He's actually not a bad schemer, especially as time goes on. He really does have a way of getting things done later on (though there's another character who is definitely INTJ who seems to me to be what-Walt-could-become, who is even more effective as a planner) Of course, I'm almost done with season 4 (which is airing now) so my perception may be different than it was back when I was starting S2, which you said you were.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Oh, he's almost certainly xSFP in my opinion. I'd guess ESFP over ISFP.

Ok, cool.

See, that's the thing.

I don't disagree with that.

SP is all that really struck me as patently clear.

If you'd want to say SFP, or ESFP, I'd be like, "yeah, that makes sense".

In fact, I'd probably put SFP over STP, now that I think about it.

(Tbh, I really hadn't thought about his type til this thread...)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
He's actually not a bad schemer, especially as time goes on. He really does have a way of getting things done later on (though there's another character who is definitely INTJ who seems to me to be what-Walt-could-become, who is even more effective as a planner) Of course, I'm almost done with season 4 (which is airing now) so my perception may be different than it was back when I was starting S2, which you said you were.

Yeah, with all the INTJ talk, I figured it might develop that way (you already started seeing it near the end of season 1).

But, the thing is, I have an ISTJ father, and, at least from what I've seen so far, nothing Walt's done would be out of my Dad's skill set.

In fact, some of the crazy shit he does, I guess I see a lot of my dad in him. It's a little too slow developing for an INTJ, though.

We might get nervous and shit about actually implementing our plans, but they'd be appear to us more readily, imo.

I dunno, I'll put that one on hold for the moment, and allow myself to collect some more data.

EDIT: See, someone like Ben Linus from Lost is a much more quintessential INTJ character, imo.

He's constantly got God-knows-how-many schemes running in the background.

Walt seems to only really devise a scheme when a need arises.

Nicodemus

Skyler: ENFJ (and what a horribly annoying cunt she can be... makes my hair stand on end at times)
I agree. I hated her for the longest time. Now, at the end of season 4, I still dislike her.

I'm kinda surprised everyone's saying Walter is an INTJ.

I actually agree with Malcontent: I think he's an ISTJ...
Maybe it is a I-see-my-father thing, but my first impression was ISFJ; now I am at ISTJ too.

I think Jesse is an ISTP.