User Tag List

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad

MBTI
    INTJ

I like to think of Walt as INTJ in large part because of his vexed relationship to routine. He insists on it, yet for him it is joyless. He suffers long and hard to maintain the routine and persists with a claim that in this routine there is value. But it gives him zero joy. The value lies in some distant illusion then, some version of the family where good things happen, and his long-suffering approach to routine is his way of removing the temptation to intuit. Or at least, that's how he began the series, an ISTJ clone by choice.

Since then, he's spent quite a lot of time avoiding knowing the future too, to the extent that his MASTERMIND status is and should be doubted. Where are the reinventions of current circumstances? Where is the reconfiguring of all items so that a new path becomes visible? Where's the divorce and the escape to distant shores?

Either Walt holds an invisible key in his mind that he knows is there but can't display yet or he insists on routine because there is no other way forward. Both approaches might look the same. I watch the show imagining Walt's approach is the first and that this is Ni. And it should be that this will bring all sorts of horrible things into the world.

I still think Gus is INFJ too.

It's interesting. If Walt fails to triumph, and all this horrible stuff remains just horrible stuff, then Walt's a bad man. How confusing.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I agree. I hated her for the longest time. Now, at the end of season 4, I still dislike her.
    I think she's the perfect example to bring into the Fe fakeness thread.

Maybe it's not fakeness that's her primary problem (although that is part of what makes my hair stand on end), but it's the controllingness.

The fakeness comes in as part of the controllingness, though, cuz it manifests as her trying to get all these things accomplished "for other people", but, really, they're all clearly for her own selfish motivations. I'm not denying that she actually cares for the other people, and wants those things done, to varying degrees, for them as well, but every time she opens her fucking mouth in the first season regarding Walt's treatment, you can just feel how it comes from a clearly selfish motivation. Which is not to say that it's completely non-understandable, I mean, she's pregnant, has a 16-yr old kid, doesn't have much money and what not, but there's something about the way she goes about doing it all that's so obnoxious. And it reeks of what people complain about of Fe. I wonder if it's all just acting, or whether the actress is actually an ENFJ. She plays the annoying cunt of a wife part brilliantly.

Probably an enneagram 1, too, no?

Maybe it is a I-see-my-father thing, but my first impression was ISFJ; now I am at ISTJ too.
    Interesting...

Noted.

I think Jesse is an ISTP.
    So it seems there are two camps: ISTP and SFP.

I'm still not sure on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Either Walt holds an invisible key in his mind that he knows is there but can't display yet or he insists on routine because there is no other way forward. Both approaches might look the same. I watch the show imagining Walt's approach is the first and that this is Ni. And it should be that this will bring all sorts of horrible things into the world.

I still think Gus is INFJ too.
    I don't think I've met Gus yet.

It's interesting. If Walt fails to triumph, and all this horrible stuff remains just horrible stuff, then Walt's a bad man. How confusing.
    I'm obviously not far enough to know where the show goes, but it is a great dynamic the show's creator has developed.

Man dying of cancer > doesn't have good enough insurance or enough money to cover high healthcare costs > has family he needs to take care of in case he dies > turns to illegal drug trade to make as much money as quickly as possible > ??? > what you said.

I mean, what a great fucking show: justifying meth trade (rather large problem in US) via high healthcare costs (biggest problem in US).

It's just an awesome premise (and is well executed).
    The Justice Fighter

XXXX - 6w5 8dw 3w4 sx/so - Neutral Good

"I trust what you are doing though…I just see it a little differently.
    I don’t see it as you stepping away from the fire. I see it as the fire directing your course.
    No matter how airy or earthy or watery you become... to many of us you will always be...a super nova."

"Behind these gates of seeming warmth sits, loosely chained, a fierce attack dog. Perhaps not crazy, but dangerous"

The Aggressive 6
    Debator

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Gus is the INTJ ZPowers was speaking of. You will notice him.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Gus is the INTJ ZPowers was speaking of. You will notice him.
    Nico is correct. He shows up I think somewhere in the middle of season 2.

By the by, Nico, I see some people typing Gus as INFJ rather than INTJ. What's your take on that?
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Walt: INTJ (but they've got him stuck from a character dev POV and he's getting stale)
    Jesse: ISFP
    Skyler: ENFJ (and please stop calling her a c***)
    Walter Jr: INFP
    Marie: ESFP
    Hank: ESTP
    Gus: INFJ (and you'll know why soon)
    Mike: ESTJ
    Gale: INTP, definitely

The show has lost the magic - only 2 episodes left (this season ooh open-ended statement yet again - what season has 6 shows?) The character development has failed to live up to the original premise. The first two seasons were excellent, season 3 meh and now ... IDK, we'll see what they do to try to end it. *yawn*

This is always the reason shows start to decline for me: the characters cease to be as real and devolve to mere caricatures of the original characters.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Yeah, same thing happened to Californication...

The originality is lost.

It just becomes a reproduction of the original.
    The Justice Fighter

I don’t see it as you stepping away from the fire. I see it as the fire directing your course.
    No matter how airy or earthy or watery you become... to many of us you will always be...a super nova."

"Behind these gates of seeming warmth sits, loosely chained, a fierce attack dog. Perhaps not crazy, but dangerous"

The Aggressive 6
    Debator

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

@Zarathustra: sorry, I should have put my opinion in spoiler tags, but I would be interested to see how you feel once you are up to date on the series too.

I agree the premise is fantastic.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    By the by, Nico, I see some people typing Gus as INFJ rather than INTJ. What's your take on that?
    I think INTJ. But I am never very confident in my typings.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think probably to maintain Walt as an INTJ character, particularly as a central character facing difficult circumstances, sudden and irrevocable changes in dynamics and circumstance are required. He doesn't get to show off any particular N otherwise. And season three noticeably lacked that. Season four has been kinda meh too, but... Walt's particular reaction at the end of episode [eleven] promises something special.

I don't know though. It should be that bringing full-on Ni into a story--that's to say, letting Walt be the INTJ he could be--it should be quite the nightmare. It should be that the mastermind remakes everything into everyone else's horror, not his own. Season two was on its way to that as I recall.

Interesting. Ni as everyone else's nightmare.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

K: you sound psychotic.
    The Justice Fighter

The Aggressive 6
    Debator

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast