User Tag List

First 243233343536 Last

Thread: Breaking Bad

FigerPuppet

Thoroughly underwhelming.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I thought it was a tad clinical and safe. But I'm sure it will be an audience favorite and was very satisfying in that regard.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Thoroughly underwhelming.
    Agreed. Both predictable and lacking in meaningful closure.

Also, no aliens.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

After the Dexter finale (and the whole last season.. or several seasons) it was a welcome contrast.

I thought it was a good, not great finale. The predictability (aside from Walt's reason for visiting the Schwartzes) doesn't bother me, because most of the endgame of the plot had been played out in the previous two episodes. To me, it felt like "Ozymandias" was the truest finale. We all knew what the last few cards were that this episode had to play; it was more of a denouement.

What was more important here than clever plotting was that Walt (presumably assisted by months of solitude) finally came to terms with both the horror of his actions and the true nature of his motives. In the previous episode, when Walt, Jr. refused the money, a newly self-aware Walt was happy to finally surrender because he could no longer do anything to redeem himself. But after seeing the Schwartzes on TV and figuring out a way to truly help his family instead of using family as an excuse for his ego-driven behavior, he then methodically set about making that happen. His motives for wiping out the Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight were likewise genuinely family-oriented - he was protecting his family from retribution. This was made clear when he refused Jack's offer to trade the $70 million for his life. The finale wasn't about wowing anyone; the flash forwards had seen to that. It was about Walt's realization and motives.

I did have problems with the finale - chiefly, the cartoonish effectiveness of Walt's remote control gun and Jack's Bond-villian-like insistence on dragging out the confrontation instead of just shooting Walt already - but predictability was not among them. I questioned whether Walt deserves to be redeemed in even the minor way he was, but he is really only redeemed in his mind. Walt gets to die secure in the knowledge that he's arranged everything, but only because he doesn't have to live to see whether his rather precarious plans come to fruition (Will Skyler really be able to trade Hank's body for immunity? Will the Schwartzes really follow through? Will Walt, Jr. accept the money without suspicion?) Everyone else will go on living diminished, broken lives because of his actions.

The only thing I really want to know is where those barrels of cash are and if anyone will ever find them! I kind of love that the point of the whole thing from the very beginning - the money - becomes irrelevant and vanished in the end.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Stansmith

Hank's awkward mediator role in tense moments is classic tertiary Fe.

Stansmith

I also find Marie's brand of 'Fe' transparently naive, self-serving and value-driven, so I'm more inclined to think she's a 2w3 that uses Fi. She's too much of a bleeding heart.

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I thought it was a good, not great finale. The predictability (aside from Walt's reason for visiting the Schwartzes) doesn't bother me, because most of the endgame of the plot had been played out in the previous two episodes. To me, it felt like "Ozymandias" was the truest finale. We all knew what the last few cards were that this episode had to play; it was more of a denouement.
    I tend to agree with this. The finale was a little predictable, but when you think about it, how else could it go? It either had to end with Walt turning himself in (like right near the end of the previous episode), or him getting back at the gang and dying.

About the only thing I can think of them doing that was "unpredictable" would have been to leave Walt alive. Ideally, after killing the gang (and not killing Livia), he could have fully embraced Heisenberg, completely moved on from his snivelling family, and got back into the meth business. The final shot could have been a close up of Walt with a knowing self satisfied "I won" grin. He would have "broken bad" in the fullest sense of the phrase.

Such an ending would lack a bit in the "closure" aspect (i.e. unanswered questions about Walt and his cancer/future), but I would have loved it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so