• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Breaking Bad

R

Riva

But both science and MBTI attempt to describe reality, whereas fiction wants to exemplify ideas.

Science theorizes; whereas MBTI hypothesizes. Yes both attempt to describe reality but so does creationism. But until that day comes both will remain fiction and what not is best at exemplifying fictional theories than fiction itself?

I am not a denier of MTBI. However I believe - as so many others - that real people are more complicated to only indicate traits attributed to their MBTI, enneagram, instinctual variant types. But fictional characters are better at staying true to these stereotypical traits; unless the writers are making the character go through a personality change for any number of reasons such as: character development, maturity, plot twists, shock etc.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I expressed my reaction to your premature surrender.

The point was that you had no argument in your response to Stephano (hence this post, a mirroring of your own words). I wanted to find out whether you are just too deep into it to realize that you forgot that your opinion needs evidence as well or whether you simply lack, say, the knack to reflect these workings even if the situation calls for it.

So what are you saying that because it is a fictional character he can't be typed because he isn't real?

Could you go into the specifics a bit more; rather than implying you've seen it when the two are interacting? You did say he 'constantly' use it. Nico does seem to have a point; you haven't forgotten, you just probably don't know/have much to back things up. But that was walt, this is hank. I will admit i'm an idiot for not seeing the obvious if you provide undeniable examples (atleast 5). *eagerly waits to admit stupidity*

I will get you some specific examples when I have more time. I am bogged down with classes right now. However, I can say this...

**Don't look at this people unless you have seen season 5, it contains spoilers.**

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So what are you saying that because it is a fictional character he can't be typed because he isn't real?
Your argument was "Walt displays Ni and Te", providing no reasoning or evidence whatsoever. Nicodemus mirrored your "argument" to show how pointless and unsubstantial it was, not to make a point about Walt's type.

Why you think he claims that fictional characters can't be typed is beyond me.

I do think Walt's an IxTJ though, I'm just not entirely sold on INTJ. I agree that Jesse's ESFP (and 6w7), probably the easiest character to type.

G

Ginkgo

On the contrary I believe fictional characters are truer to the limitations mbti than rl people (who change every second). Besides the truer the actor is to the role the better defined the character becomes.

For the most part, I agree with you. However, I also think this is a reflection of the fact that fictional characters often fall short of depicting decent character development.

(In no way am I saying that Breaking Bad lacks character development.) But, consider a character like House. He underwent radical changes over the course of several seasons and now everybody dogpiles on discussions about him with divergent theories.

Technically, I agree with this. Those who agree with me probably participate in these kinds of threads for gits and shittles/ boredom. So you're going to run into situations where your argument isn't going to be as accepted as you think it should because you're unaware of unsaid predicates.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
watched a little further. Gus is definitely 8 fixed.
INTJ 5w6 or 3w4>8w9 Sp/?? (probably Sp/So)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Your argument was "Walt displays Ni and Te", providing no reasoning or evidence whatsoever. Nicodemus mirrored your "argument" to show how pointless and unsubstantial it was, not to make a point about Walt's type.

Why you think he claims that fictional characters can't be typed is beyond me.

I do think Walt's an IxTJ though, I'm just not entirely sold on INTJ. I agree that Jesse's ESFP (and 6w7), probably the easiest character to type.

I do agree that Walt has a certain SJishness about him in the first season. However, the Ni and Te show their head in the later seasons.

**Spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen all the episodes**

The man is the master of these Ni<Te plots, that's why I'm more inclined to think of him as an INTJ.

Shudder

MBTI Type
INTJ
I do agree that Walt has a certain SJishness about him in the first season. However, the Ni and Te show their head in the later seasons.

**Spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen all the episodes**

The man is the master of these Ni<Te plots, that's why I'm more inclined to think of him as an INTJ.

In the examples you used, how would an Ne-Ti person, like an ENTP, have acted differently than INTJ Walt? I'd assume it would be pretty similarly considering the fact that it's still N-T at use.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
finished!

Walter: INTJ 6w5>8w9>3w2 Sp/Sx (could possibly see a really reactive 5w6)
Jesse: ESFP 6w7>8w7>2w3 Sx/So
Skylar: ENFJ 6w7>1w2>3w2 Sx/Sp
Hank: ES?P or ENTJ 8w7>6w7>3w2 So/Sp (possibly So/Sx)
Marie: E??P 6w7>2w3>9w8 Sp/Sx
Walt Jr.: ISFP 9w8>6w7>2w3 So/Sx

Tuco: ESTP 8w7>6w7>3w2 Sx/So or So/Sx
Saul: ENTP 7w6>3w2>9w8 Sp/So
Gus: INTJ some sort of 3w4/5w6/8w9 combo Sp/Sx (possibly Sp/So)
Mike: ISTP 8w9>6w5>2w3 Sp/Sx?
Jane: ??FP 7w6>4w5>9w8 Sx/Sp
Lydia: ENTJ 6w7>3w4>9w8 Sp/So
Todd: ?SF? 6w7?>2w3?>9w8 ??/??
Elliot: ENFJ 2w3>5w6>9w1 So/Sp

G

Ginkgo

finished!

A lot of 6w7s there...

S

Stansmith

finished!

Todd seems more like a 9. He almost always maintains his composure, and he barely displays ambivalence.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Todd seems more like a 9. He almost always maintains his composure, and he barely displays ambivalence.
I could see that. his type was hard to peg.
what did you think of the rest of the characters?

S

Stansmith

[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]

Walter: INTJ 6w5>8w9>3w2 Sp/Sx
Jesse: ESFP 6w7>9w8>2w3 Sx/So
Hank: ESTP 8w7>6w7>3w2 So/Sp (possibly So/Sx)
Marie: ESFP 6w7>2w3>9w8 Sp/Sx
Walt Jr.: ISFP 9w8>6w7>2w3 Sp/So

Gus: INTJ 1w9-3w4-5w4 Sp/So (or 3w4-first)
Mike: ISTP 8w9>6w5>2w3 Sp/Sx
Todd: ISTP 9w?>5w6-2w3 Sp/So

I don't remember Jane's character very well.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
In the examples you used, how would an Ne-Ti person, like an ENTP, have acted differently than INTJ Walt? I'd assume it would be pretty similarly considering the fact that it's still N-T at use.

ENTP's can be very similar, but the INTJ's are better at creating full-fledged master-minded plans. They literally plan out every detail to perfection. INTJ's are better at strategy than the ENTP's. The ENTP's however seem to be better at using tactics. They literally reach into their bag of tricks and use a series of tactics to get the job done.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Why does everyone think that Jesse is a 6w7? He seems more like a 7w6 to me.
I originally thought Walter is an ISTJ, but his impressive ability to foresee what his and others actions would cause lets me think Ni.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why does everyone think that Jesse is a 6w7? He seems more like a 7w6 to me.
I think 6w7, though admittedly a quick and dirty typing. I cannot see anything outside of the reactive triad, which leaves 4, 6 and 8. 4 and 8 are then eliminated because lol no. I would probe further if anything about cp6 glaringly didn't check out IMHO, but now I'm interested. What makes you think 7?

I originally thought Walter is an ISTJ, but his impressive ability to foresee what his and others actions would cause lets me think Ni.
Same here.

badger055

Permabanned
walter: INTJ
todd: ENTJ
jesse: ESFP
skylar: ESFJ
mike: ISTJ
saul: ENTP
walt jr: pancakes