• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
`

This thread might be useless, I know there is a type the cast of Star Trek:TNG thread, but... besides Deanna Troi, Captain Jean-Luc Picard deserves a thread of his own, actually, I think his character is far more complex than Troi's, even though I've always really liked her.

Now, here's the question....

So, is it pretty unanimous that Picard was an INTJ??!?

I've loved this show ever since I was a kid, and was fortunate enough to watch two reruns on SyFy, last night! :D

And, AND....

I've had a major crush on Picard since I was a girl, seriously!

He was the father figure I never had, a model for the ideal man, he was perfect.

Seriously, is he ever wrong?!!??

Depicted as deeply moral, highly logical and cerebral, Picard is a master of diplomacy and debate who resolves seemingly intractable issues between multiple parties. Though such resolutions are usually peaceful, Picard is also shown utilizing his remarkable tactical cunning in situations when it is required.

^I agree with the above.

:wub:

Your thoughts?

Or, are you too young to even care or know about Captain Jean-Luc Picard. :boohoo:

Harold Saxon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
I occasionally see people type him as ENTJ or INFJ, but he strikes me as a blatant example of an INTJ. He spends the majority of his time reading alone, and appears very fulfilled with this arrangement. As for T versus F, he isn't a very emotional man, and consistently shows objectivity rather than subjectivity. Additionally, while he does show signs of Fe (though they seem to be more in the vein of pragmatic Te appearing as an Fe desire to maintain peace), he does not show an ounce of Ti.

Amphion

MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree with both of you. Picard is an obvious INTJ if there ever was one.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hmm, what an awesome INTJ archetype!!!

Though it is true that he isn't an emotional man, he is highly moral, and he cares about doing Right, and Justice, but in the purest sense.

Also, he seems almost entirely devoid of ego! :wub:

I think it is his humility plus his wisdom that I find so attractive, so evolved.

Le sigh, of course such a great man can only be of fiction. :boohoo:

If he is, in fact, an INTJ, it does show you what maturity can do for the INTJ, there's nothing worse than egomaniacal immature INTJ, nothing, eww. :nono:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
JeanLucPicard.jpg

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
`

This thread might be useless, I know there is a type the cast of Star Trek:TNG thread, but... besides Deanna Troi, Captain Jean-Luc Picard deserves a thread of his own, actually, I think his character is far more complex than Troi's, even though I've always really liked her.

I've loved this show ever since I was a kid, and was fortunate enough to watch two reruns on SyFy, last night! :D

And, AND....

He was the father figure I never had, a model for the ideal man, he was perfect.

^I agree with the above.

Your thoughts?

Or, are you too young to even care or know about Captain Jean-Luc Picard. :boohoo:

SS ***hugs*** ZOMG! :D Another Captain Jean-Luc Picard fan. Seriously, that guy made the show!!!!! And I, too, had a little girl crush on him. I can only imagine that other people mistype him because he was a very great captain with an intuitive edge, but could lead like nobody's business. They also mistake his passion about justice for 'feeling.' Well, it is feeling, but it is not a primary place.

Take a look at how Troi counsels him, and what makes her such a good counselor for him (other than her 'feeling counterpart')? She's an XNFP, the perfect counterpart to an INTJ. When he's Ni-Fi-ing, she comes in and stops the loop so to speak (these are moments when she's pretty strict with him, if I recall - it's been a while). And when he's trying to make a particular decision, he needs her because she has a more developed use of the Ne/Fi combination he needs....His Fi comes out particularly strong in the Borg situations as well as the deal with the Cardassians (when he would not break).

Also, how someone is 'on-duty' does not always represent how one is truly like.

The ONLY possible alternative for Picard would be ISTJ.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I wasn't into TNG, but now I am close to some big Picard fans and from watching the reruns on SyFy I am inclined to agree with what has been posted. Especially the following:
Take a look at how Troi counsels him, and what makes her such a good counselor for him (other than her 'feeling counterpart')? She's an XNFP, the perfect counterpart to an INTJ.
Patrick Stewart was knighted last year. I know that Picard fans were really happy.

SS, do you mind if I spam this thread with the Picard Song and Picard's Alphabet Song :unsure:

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
He couldn't be anything other than INTJ. I recently started re-watching TNG and it's pretty clear he's a non-sociopathic, morally upright INTJ.

He was a hero of mine growing up, Him and Data... And Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap.

Now those were TV shows.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He couldn't be anything other than INTJ. I recently started re-watching TNG and it's pretty clear he's a non-sociopathic, morally upright INTJ.

He was a hero of mine growing up, Him and Data... And Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap.

Now those were TV shows.

Isn't he great? It's just totally :wubbie:.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw"]Weird Al has a question for you at 2:14 - 2:18 ...[/YOUTUBE]

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
:wubbie: The Picard!!! :D

What makes Deanna an xNFP and not an xNFJ? I can never tell what her type is, and is Data also an INTJ?

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
:wubbie: The Picard!!! :D

What makes Deanna an xNFP and not an xNFJ? I can never tell what her type is, and is Data also an INTJ?

No, Data is INTP. He's a socially awkward android, totally befuddled by human emotions. Need I say more?

Although, I could see Lore as an INTJ.

Ratsimoan

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
4w5
`

And, AND....

^I agree with the above.

Your thoughts?

I totally, agree that he's an intj. Some believe him to be estp or entj. But he exhibits intj characteristics.

I love him :hug:. I have many fantasies of me being his wife and living on that starship.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always thought of Picard as an ENTJ. :peepwall: Why INTJ?

He's very reserved and philosophical. ENTJs tend to be more "brash" and impulsive. Riker is ENTJ, in many MBTI fans' opinions.

Ni makes you think before you act. Te tends to "act/think" right away, only to analyze it later while trying to figure out what went wrong.

Also note that Picard is a rather old and remarkably mature human being: he brings the full analytical power of the INTJ type with the maturity and people skills that INTJs -wish- they had, but only gain after very very very long experience.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I kind of read a couple silly posts on a thread that seems split between INTJ and ENTJ, on a forum consisting mostly of N types who think everybody is an N type.

I'm an old Trekkie and I watched all of Star Trek: TNG back when it was new. This weekend I watched the first three episodes of the first season on Netflix, and I can now inform you all, without any hesitation and with 100% confidence, that Jean-Luc Picard is an ISTJ.

How do I know this after only 3 episodes of viewing? I knew it during the first 2-part episode. Picard is introverted, unemotional, dutiful, extremely reality-centered, not an idealist - the only ideals he shows are the principles that were trained into him at Starfleet Academy as traditions.

During episode three, when the Traveler takes the Enterprise "where none has gone before," Picard had only one command to give: "get us out of here." When offered alternative ideas by bridge members, he knocked down INTJ Data's idea to study the proto-star by stating that a properly-equipped science ship can come to this galaxy later: in the meantime, just "get us out of here."

Picard is not an INTJ.

But how about ENTJ? Oh right, such a general type. Not. Or maybe a CEO? Not. Such a person takes a broad view of things and is willing to sacrifice to attain an end. It's not just that Picard is an introvert in every sense of the term, but that he is not NT in any sense of it. Nor is he Ni in any way whatsoever.

https://www.16personalities.com/istj-personality
"ISTJs don't make many assumptions, preferring instead to analyze their surroundings, check their facts and arrive at practical courses of action." Picard doesn't make any assumptions. He analyzes, he requests opinions and alternatives, and then he (as captain and as an ISTJ) comes to a logical decision. He not only checks facts, he asks for them constantly from those around him. (For those who don't know their functions, this is not Si but Te at work.)

..."people with the ISTJ personality type often prefer to work alone, or at least have their authority clearly established by hierarchy, where they can set and achieve their goals without debate or worry over other's reliability." Captain Picard has had his captaincy clearly established by hierarchy. He has surrounded himself with an extremely disciplined and well-trained crew. Unlike ESTJ (which isn't an optional type), he doesn't simply give orders to be blindly obeyed, he expects his mistakes to be pointed out so that he can further perfect his decision-making process in order to best serve Star Fleet. Unlike an ESTJ or ENTJ, he did not acquire his position through brute force, but rather by working his way slowly but steadily up the chain of command. In this way, his authority as captain cannot be questioned, as he has attained and secured his position on the basis of the command structure hierarchy.

"This sense of personal integrity is core to ISTJs, and goes beyond their own minds – ISTJ personalities adhere to established rules and guidelines regardless of cost, reporting their own mistakes and telling the truth even when the consequences for doing so could be disastrous." Picard will follow the established guidelines of authority wherever they may take him. If the course wanders from those strict guidelines, he will take whatever measures are necessary to re-establish that course (as long as they don't violate the Prime Directive or any other institutionally-governed guidelines).

"ISTJs have sharp, fact-based minds, and prefer autonomy and self-sufficiency to reliance on someone or something. Dependency on others is often seen by ISTJs as a weakness, and their passion for duty, dependability and impeccable personal integrity forbid falling into such a trap." While Picard does often ask for the advice and opinions of his top crew members, it is only because they have established themselves as securely as Picard in accordance with the hierarchy and because it is the captain's duty to do so - but only as duty commands.

"Duty" is the key to understanding the ISTJ type, and Picard has referred to his duty several times in the three episodes I have watched so far.

"ISTJs seek stability and security, considering it their duty to maintain a smooth operation..." On several occasions I've heard Picard commanding that his ship be maintained in smooth operation and other terms to that effect.

There is zero doubt that Jean-Luc Picard is the ISTJ personality type. "Steady as she goes, Number One."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've researched the topic of Picard's MBTI type via the ever-wonderful Google search, and it seems to be almost always if not always the consensus that Picard is the INTJ type, with ENTJ as a second possibility. Did I say "consensus"? Perhaps I should have written "mass-delusion."